IGNORED

Ashley fucking Young

KillaGTiR

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Largely because our starters have been injured. If Coleman gets back to fitness I imagine we'll see him dropped back to the bench where he belongs. 

Could we then see him on the right wing if we don’t get Harrison back 😱

He’s little hassle, not a lot of money, and an experienced and well respected pro. 
We are short on bodies in the squad, he covers four positions. 
It’s a no brainier to give him another year, could possibly be on a lower wage. But it’s low risk, and we need as little risk as we can get right now. 

I'd rather put a plastic bag in defence than Ashley Young, so regardless of how thin we are wouldn't be offering him an extra year.

His best games have been 6/10's. He's finished at this level and will only be worse next season - today was Exhibit A.

31 minutes ago, Gwlad said:

Little to spend and we need a decent squad, for me Young is sound.

Really? I mean as an emergency option maybe but you can’t tell me one of the young fullbacks in the development squads couldn’t do the same job. The only difference is one of the young players could be worth something after 10-15 premier league appearances.

The really bad mistakes he makes aren’t age related, they are just brain farts which a player with his experience should not be making. A 20 year old on debut might play that square ball but we would say he is inexperienced & hope he learns from it. No excuse from Young today & not the first terrible mistake.

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Really? I mean as an emergency option maybe but you can’t tell me one of the young fullbacks in the development squads couldn’t do the same job. The only difference is one of the young players could be worth something after 10-15 premier league appearances.

The really bad mistakes he makes aren’t age related, they are just brain farts which a player with his experience should not be making. A 20 year old on debut might play that square ball but we would say he is inexperienced & hope he learns from it. No excuse from Young today & not the first terrible mistake.

My point was having Young as a squad player. 

It's just money wasted to me.

He's made more individual errors leading directly to goals than any other player. This has been from stupid passes, throw-ins and bad positioning.

For that player to be the most senior and highly decorated  one in the squad is unforgiveable. 

The reason you have players like this is because they are older and wiser and can instruct other players when out of position etc. If he can't even do this himself how can he be trusted to be giving correct advice/instructions to others or for players to respect him enough to listen to him?

He also can't run and can't deliver a set peice or decent cross anymore, which to be fair he used to be able to do well.

No way he stays if Dyche didn't know him and play with him in the past.

22 hours ago, Gwlad said:

My point was having Young as a squad player. 

Even then it makes me nervous, he will be 39 & I just can’t see what he can offer as his positions require energy.

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

If anyone was in any doubt about how poor this club has become, then this signing is all the proof you need imo. 

Yeh, and also a lot of uncertainty about what we have or don't have for the next season and onwards. Dealing with a new ownership must be top priority so we can avoid deals like this.

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

If anyone was in any doubt about how poor this club has become, then this signing is all the proof you need imo. 

He's nowhere near as bad as some make out. He can play many different positions, and I'm sure he's a major asset in the dressing room. No transfer fee, of course, and low salary. Why would we not pursue this option?

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

He's nowhere near as bad as some make out. He can play many different positions, and I'm sure he's a major asset in the dressing room. No transfer fee, of course, and low salary. Why would we not pursue this option?

Because a no transfer fee and low salary is not a reason to have a player in your team.                                                          

The Arsenal game clearly showed what a liability he is to the team when on the pitch, he made 2 long square passes across our back line in that game the first one was cut out and he was lucky they didn’t score from that, yet he didn’t learn from that mistake he repeated the same ball and they scored from it, costing us a point and money for finishing higher up the league. 
I think most people don’t rate him because he simply isn’t good enough and he has cost us points throughout the season because of his poor decision making, the Arsenal game just being an example of many. 
So for me he’s no asset because of his cost or experience, in fact experience teaches you to stop making stupid mistakes, but it doesn’t seem to have had that effect on him, he’s definitely more hindrance than an asset in my opinion and his lack of knowledge, understanding, for someone with so much experience for out way any positives even monetary value.  

We need minimal risk and some form of consistency around the squad. I have absolutely no issue with Young getting a one year deal. Players of his experience can be a massive influence on the dressing room too. While we have got another year of uncertainty ahead, I agree with Dyche on keeping him around. 

I’ll also throw in; he’s doing a lot of media at the moment and is covering the euros. We need some positivity out there about the club. He just might help that. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

We need minimal risk and some form of consistency around the squad. I have absolutely no issue with Young getting a one year deal. Players of his experience can be a massive influence on the dressing room too. While we have got another year of uncertainty ahead, I agree with Dyche on keeping him around. 

I’ll also throw in; he’s doing a lot of media at the moment and is covering the euros. We need some positivity out there about the club. He just might help that. 

Give him a role with the back room staff then put please keep off the pitch. 

On 28/05/2024 at 21:16, Palfy said:

Give him a role with the back room staff then put please keep off the pitch. 

I still think he was only ever brought in as a sub but injuries meant we didn't have much choice. 

I'm hoping that proves to be the objective, just hope there's no more injuries :lol:

• 4 weeks later...