IGNORED

Paris Olympics 2024

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Not knocking the elder statesman of the NBA, but it feels like USA treats the Olympics in men’s basketball as a showcase of players like the Harlem Globetrotters, I think if the USA picked players that were up and coming in the NBA who would be more team players than a group of old over paid big time Charlie’s more interested in their own game than a team game, then the USA would truly show their dominance of the game, which we may start to see as you rightly pointed out most have seen their last Olympics. 
I think the USA will continue their dominance of the sport, after all the best players in the world play in NBA, and by far the biggest percentage of those players are Americans. 

After the debacle the U.S. had at the 2002 FIBA World Championship and the 2004 Olympics in Athens, you'll never see another U.S. men's basketball team with young or up-and-coming players in a major international basketball tournament. And I'd disagree with you saying these guys being old and overpaid players. Durant just won his 4th gold medal. 

Serbia will still be tough in 2028 so long as Jokic is around. Germany with Moritz and Franz Wagner and Dennis Schroder will be really good. France will have Victor Wembanyama and Bilal Coulibaly and one would assume the top two picks in this year's NBA Draft, Zaccharie Risacher and Alex Sarr, will also be part of that roster. Canada will also be a difficult team to face with most of their roster being in their prime in 2028. 

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

What's the deal with the women's team that went to the Olympics, are they the pinnacle as well?

I watched their final today and the standard there was atrocious from both teams. 

The WNBA is absolutely awful, due to a lack of funding - the standard is poor despite the US having the "pinnacle" of talent. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

What's the deal with the women's team that went to the Olympics, are they the pinnacle as well?

I watched their final today and the standard there was atrocious from both teams. 

Yeah the U.S. women's basketball team is the top team in the world as well. They've won the gold medal in every Olympic tournament going back to Atlanta 1996.

That being said, the WNBA is the main league here in the states but the players aren't anywhere near as well paid as they should be. That's why most of their players have to play in Europe in the WNBA offseason as they get paid more there than they do here. They just started being able to fly charter flights starting with their current season. They previously had to fly commercial. 

The gold medal game today was a bit of anomaly though. The U.S. didn't play great but neither team did, if I'm being completely honest. Much more of a defensive struggle from both sides as neither offense really had the opportunity to run the offense they wanted to.

5 minutes ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Yeah the U.S. women's basketball team is the top team in the world as well. They've won the gold medal in every Olympic tournament going back to Atlanta 1996.

That being said, the WNBA is the main league here in the states but the players aren't anywhere near as well paid as they should be. That's why most of their players have to play in Europe in the WNBA offseason as they get paid more there than they do here. They just started being able to fly charter flights starting with their current season. They previously had to fly commercial. 

The gold medal game today was a bit of anomaly though. The U.S. didn't play great but neither team did, if I'm being completely honest. Much more of a defensive struggle from both sides as neither offense really had the opportunity to run the offense they wanted to.

It's the only game I've watched from the basketball because it's not something I enjoy in the slightest so wanted to see if that was the norm or more of an anomaly as it was really poor quality all round for a gold medal match.

22 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's the only game I've watched from the basketball because it's not something I enjoy in the slightest so wanted to see if that was the norm or more of an anomaly as it was really poor quality all round for a gold medal match.

Yeah I'd recommend going back and watching the men's basketball gold medal match if you haven't yet. A lot better watch between the two games. 

The odd thing about the women's basketball gold medal match today is that this is only the 3rd time the U.S. has won a game by single digits since they began their Olympic winning streak back at the 1996 Olympics. Before today's game, they had won their games in this Olympic tournament by an average of about 19 points. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I watched Gojira and that was about it. Is it finished already?

Stream on from when I got up (rewound if I missed anything), to when it finished every day here. Love it. Few sports I switched to the extra channel to avoid (gymnastics, volleyball, "breaking", BMX for example). but I really buy in and enjoy it. Crowds for street stuff like cycling road races,triathlon and the marathons were London levels, which I didn't think I'd ever see matched...can't see LA getting close.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Stream on from when I got up (rewound if I missed anything), to when it finished every day here. Love it. Few sports I switched to the extra channel to avoid (gymnastics, volleyball, "breaking", BMX for example). but I really buy in and enjoy it. Crowds for street stuff like cycling road races,triathlon and the marathons were London levels, which I didn't think I'd ever see matched...can't see LA getting close.

I've never understood the attraction to be honest