IGNORED

Paris Olympics 2024

Opening ceremony on now, broken with tradition by not using the stadium for it; instead, teams cruising down the Seine on boats. There's a "refugee" team again, apparently Farage is on hand to make sure they don't make a break for the Channel.

Always enjoy the Olympics👍

43 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Very Eurovision isn't it.  Singing imagine now - nice start to the song. 

Some good bits and pieces, but overall it's been dreadful imo. London set the bar high for sure, but this doesn't even come close.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Some good bits and pieces, but overall it's been dreadful imo. London set the bar high for sure, but this doesn't even come close.

Shocking. 

I thought people holding brollies over the heads of speakers was a joke. 

Didn't plan on rain and maybe thought of a Perspex cover? 

34 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm sorry I feel like I'm in the upside-down. One of the greatest vocalists of the last 30 years, who also happens to be going through a very severe physical disease, and she delivers that performance, and she's getting slagged off??

I can't comment on the performance, stubbed my toe dashing to find the remote to hit the mute button, so I was in physical pain for the three or four bars I heard of it. I wish her nothing but the best in her health troubles.

image.jpeg.39dbe56e9a555bdf2fd5e637c60f8654.jpeg

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Wow I really loved all of that. Such a cool Olympic cauldron as well.

Well done, France

CELENE. FUCKING SLAY ALL DAY.

From the comments above yours, do you get the sense that the English and the French have never really got along very well? :)

Couple other stories from today:

-IOC has apologized to South Korea as they were announced as being the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" (also known as the official name for North Korea) during yesterday's opening ceremony.
-One of the Italian flagbearers apologized to their wife in an Instagram post after his wedding ring slipped off and fell into the Seine during the parade of nations

19 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Still one of my favorite moments from the London Olympics ceremonies:

Rewatched, cryng with laughter. London 2012  possibly the last time I felt proud to be British. We were Harrods yeaterday Paris was Aldi.

2 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

I know Nadal is basically at the end of his tennis career but him and Alcaraz playing doubles just seems unfair. 

Not unlike the USA Basketball team which is stacked full of NBA stars who are being paid to play, that really embodies the spirit of the Olympics and is so fair 😆

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Not unlike the USA Basketball team which is stacked full of NBA stars who are being paid to play, that really embodies the spirit of the Olympics and is so fair 😆

That's a false equivalency. The Olympic basketball tournament hasn't used exclusively amateur players since the 1988 Olympics in Seoul. And the gap between the U.S. and the rest of the world in international basketball has been shrinking more and more, even with the entirely NBA roster of players. They'll still likely win the gold medal in this tournament but I wouldn't be shocked if teams like Germany or the hosts France gave them a challenge once they got to knockout rounds.  

10 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

That's a false equivalency. The Olympic basketball tournament hasn't used exclusively amateur players since the 1988 Olympics in Seoul. And the gap between the U.S. and the rest of the world in international basketball has been shrinking more and more, even with the entirely NBA roster of players. They'll still likely win the gold medal in this tournament but I wouldn't be shocked if teams like Germany or the hosts France gave them a challenge once they got to knockout rounds.  

Oh that’s a fair competition then unlike the tennis 🎾 Put your spade away Stateside any more digging and you’ll be at risk of disappearing altogether 😆

57 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Forgot how much I just love the dang Olympics. I don't remember watching much of the Tokyo games, but I've had it on pretty much all day since Saturday. Can't get enough of the volleyball 

Oh @Matt I was being serious about the volleyball. Can't tell if that's what you're laughing at...

Volleyball is life.