IGNORED

Jaden Philogene

Welp, that's that it seems. Not sure how I feel about the unwillingness to increase an offer - on the one hand, if you like the player and want to get them in then I don't think 2m is all that big a deal and certainly isn't what got us into this mess. On the other hand, you could argue the mindset of that approach rather than the 2m itself is what got us into this mess and I respect havinbg a valuation and sticking to it. 

45 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

Welp, that's that it seems. Not sure how I feel about the unwillingness to increase an offer - on the one hand, if you like the player and want to get them in then I don't think 2m is all that big a deal and certainly isn't what got us into this mess. On the other hand, you could argue the mindset of that approach rather than the 2m itself is what got us into this mess and I respect havinbg a valuation and sticking to it. 

Think it's more a case of Hull moving the goalposts and us sticking to what was originally acceptable.

If we just cave then there's every chance they could change what they want again.

I can respect us sticking to our guns.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Think it's more a case of Hull moving the goalposts and us sticking to what was originally acceptable.

If we just cave then there's every chance they could change what they want again.

Exactly. And honestly, we're fine for wingers. McNeil, Harrison and Young? Murderers row right there

something tells me it might be something to do with the agent -possibly trying to pull a fast one, and we have maybe said do one. A agent who take and then post pictures of himself outside training grounds is suspect to me.

Wouldn't suprised me if he slapped on an additional £2m agents fee on the deal - and we told him to do one.  

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I wish people had these same thoughts when a club doesn’t want to pay up for one of our guys.

6 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I wish people had these same thoughts when a club doesn’t want to pay up for one of our guys.

Little bit different to what United are doing with us tbf.

We've told United what we want and they keep low balling us. We had a fee agreed with Hull and then they've changed their mind and we've stuck with the fee we originally agreed and said we'll miss out.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Little bit different to what United are doing with us tbf.

We've told United what we want and they keep low balling us. We had a fee agreed with Hull and then they've changed their mind and we've stuck with the fee we originally agreed and said we'll miss out.

I’m not specifically talking about United. Supporters are very quick to praise their own clubs for playing hardball in negotiations etc.. but when it’s one of their players up to be sold the buying club is called all sorts of names for doing the same. Always makes me shake my head a bit 

I’m not specifically talking about United. Supporters are very quick to praise their own clubs for playing hardball in negotiations etc.. but when it’s one of their players up to be sold the buying club is called all sorts of names for doing the same. Always makes me shake my head a bit 

Personally, I have no problem with any club bidding what they feel a player is worth or whatever, but just don't act all high and mighty about it if the selling club tell you where to go. Accept it and either come back with what the selling club want or move on to another target.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2024/07/09/everton-told-to-offer-lucrative-personal-terms-as-jaden-philogene-medical-update-emerges/

I would be suprised if the club changed the deal at the 12th hour.

It sounds to me like player/agent simply wanted to much.  With that cock of an agent stageing a photo in front of the Everton badge with his phone at his ear, it did raise a bit or a red flag.

We have been burnt before and will have a much more stringent wage structure now. On to the next, its only the 9 July and not takeover officially signed off. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

There is ridiculous, hardball and then there is fair. 

man United have been ridiculous - we have operated correctly with Hull. 

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

something tells me it might be something to do with the agent -possibly trying to pull a fast one, and we have maybe said do one. A agent who take and then post pictures of himself outside training grounds is suspect to me.

Wouldn't suprised me if he slapped on an additional £2m agents fee on the deal - and we told him to do one.  

Told you some of them are scumbags.

16 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

There is ridiculous, hardball and then there is fair. 

man United have been ridiculous - we have operated correctly with Hull. 

I bet every club in the country has supporters making similar arguments. 

If you supported Man U I expect you’d want them to get the best deal for the club, particularly when a player is coming from a club who has recently had relegation battles and financial uncertainty. 

It’s just how that world works as you know. How many Evertonians want 40m+ for Dom who has done very little the last several seasons? 

Supporters routinely overvalue their own players when selling (regardless of if they like them) and think other clubs are too demanding with their own prices. 

In regards to Branthwaite, there doesn’t have to be a villain here. We seemingly don’t have to sell now so we set a big price. Man United can bid whatever they like and we will accept it or we won’t. If they aren’t willing to come up then fair enough. I suppose I just don’t get the vitriol when we do the exact same thing with players. This is just how negotiations work, yes?

12 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I bet every club in the country has supporters making similar arguments. 

If you supported Man U I expect you’d want them to get the best deal for the club, particularly when a player is coming from a club who has recently had relegation battles and financial uncertainty. 

It’s just how that world works as you know. How many Evertonians want 40m+ for Dom who has done very little the last several seasons? 

Supporters routinely overvalue their own players when selling (regardless of if they like them) and think other clubs are too demanding with their own prices. 

In regards to Branthwaite, there doesn’t have to be a villain here. We seemingly don’t have to sell now so we set a big price. Man United can bid whatever they like and we will accept it or we won’t. If they aren’t willing to come up then fair enough. I suppose I just don’t get the vitriol when we do the exact same thing with players. This is just how negotiations work, yes?

If I was a Man United fan and watched us pay £80m for maguire and £100m for Anthony - I would be livid to watch us lose out on a generational talent like branthwaite cos the new owner thinks he can flex. 

United missed out on the likes of Eden hazard, haarland, Kane cos they wouldn't pay the going rate yet they over pay for some absolute dross. 

its a complete and utter farce how they operate. 

I was annoyed at how much we paid for bollassie and rightly so, I was also annoyed that we missed out on Andy Robertson and Jarrod Bowen cos we wouldn't pay the money which was a snip 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

If I was a Man United fan and watched us pay £80m for maguire and £100m for Anthony - I would be livid to watch us lose out on a generational talent like branthwaite cos the new owner thinks he can flex. 

United missed out on the likes of Eden hazard, haarland, Kane cos they wouldn't pay the going rate yet they over pay for some absolute dross. 

its a complete and utter farce how they operate. 

I was annoyed at how much we paid for bollassie and rightly so, I was also annoyed that we missed out on Andy Robertson and Jarrod Bowen cos we wouldn't pay the money which was a snip 

I expect that they are hesitant to shell out obscene money again. Branthwaite is great but this isn’t an established star, this is a good young player with great potential as were those others.

When Everton have swung and missed on expensive signing has the fanbase lined up to do it again or have we been more hesitant?

Again, this happens at every club. Your own players are worth a ton and you should get huge offers and/or players in return for them. When we want to sign someone the other club is unreasonable and we downgrade the player if he considers other teams. 

These same conversations happen every window at every club. 

27 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Except we were valuing a much lesser player and Utd were taking the piss over Jarrad.

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

I expect that they are hesitant to shell out obscene money again. Branthwaite is great but this isn’t an established star, this is a good young player with great potential as were those others.

When Everton have swung and missed on expensive signing has the fanbase lined up to do it again or have we been more hesitant?

Again, this happens at every club. Your own players are worth a ton and you should get huge offers and/or players in return for them. When we want to sign someone the other club is unreasonable and we downgrade the player if he considers other teams. 

These same conversations happen every window at every club. 

Established star? They paid £100m for Anthony who never played in the prem. Branthwaite was our player of the year and had the best centre half stats in the league - won a cup in Holland, is an England international.

i feel like im explaining myself to someone who hasn't watched Branthwaite tbh 

16 minutes ago, Gwlad said:

Except we were valuing a much lesser player and Utd were taking the piss over Jarrad.

Price isn’t relevant, it’s the principle.

In the case of Branthwaite I haven’t seen other big offers at this point. Obviously United will try to get the best price they can but it’s telling at this point that those 80m offers aren’t coming. Maybe he’s a year away which would be good news for us.

My point is only that every group of supporters thinks other clubs are unreasonable with their players while at the same time wanting obscene money when selling. It wasn’t so long ago people wanted 60,70,80m+ for Dom were he to leave.

It’s just a natural bias 

20 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Established star? They paid £100m for Anthony who never played in the prem. Branthwaite was our player of the year and had the best centre half stats in the league - won a cup in Holland, is an England international.

i feel like im explaining myself to someone who hasn't watched Branthwaite tbh 

I wasn’t comparing the two, I was making the point that he isn’t an established world class player at this point. The fact that they already have swung and missed on some big signings is likely a reason they don’t want to make a huge offer at this point.

Jarrad is great but he has 45 premier league games and he’s just 22.  He’s played 1/3 of 1 game for England in a friendly. If he was established as you seem to believe it wouldn’t just be Man U for 50m, it would be the biggest clubs in the world for a lot more. He’s not at that level in terms of perception. 

We all think Jarrad is great and is on his way to a huge career but I think your bias is showing if you can’t understand why a club who has been wasteful isn’t just jumping to spending 80m on a 22 year old defender.

8 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Price isn’t relevant, it’s the principle.

In the case of Branthwaite I haven’t seen other big offers at this point. Obviously United will try to get the best price they can but it’s telling at this point that those 80m offers aren’t coming. Maybe he’s a year away which would be good news for us.

My point is only that every group of supporters thinks other clubs are unreasonable with their players while at the same time wanting obscene money when selling. It wasn’t so long ago people wanted 60,70,80m+ for Dom were he to leave.

It’s just a natural bias 

You don't need to try and explain player valuations to us - trust me.   We've had to sell our best players year after year and we fully understand what dictates price. 

we've had Jeffers, Rooney, Lescott, Stones, Rodwell, Gordon, Richarlison, Arteta, Digne all sold at a variety of price and different scenarios. 

The last time United started acting like dicks like this  - they put in £28m joint bid for fellaini and Baines and then paid £28m for fellaini alone. 

we know what branthwaite is worth to us - don't tell us it's bias, we aren't stupid, it's not an inflated fee. The lad will be worth £100m plus in a year or so. Other clubs aren't bidding? Cos they know what his value is - anyone bidding for saliba? 

8 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I wasn’t comparing the two, I was making the point that he isn’t an established world class player at this point. The fact that they already have swung and missed on some big signings is likely a reason they don’t want to make a huge offer at this point.

Jarrad is great but he has 45 premier league games and he’s just 22.  He’s played 1/3 of 1 game for England in a friendly. If he was established as you seem to believe it wouldn’t just be Man U for 50m, it would be the biggest clubs in the world for a lot more. He’s not at that level in terms of perception. 

We all think Jarrad is great and is on his way to a huge career but I think your bias is showing if you can’t understand why a club who has been wasteful isn’t just jumping to spending 80m on a 22 year old defender.

No you aren't getting it...... we don't want to sell him and you are acting like we do but we just can't be sensible about the price. 

we don't want to sell but if they offer £80m may be that we can't turn it down but the dickheads are offering the same money what West Ham paid for 27 year old kilman from wolves. 

and you think that's right??? 

If they get up to 60m we will most likely accept. Branthwaite is a very good player. But Sparty is right, he isn’t an established international player yet.

He could turn out to be a 100m player if he is patient and learns his trade for another twelve months. And I think this is the right place to do it. 

Someone put it correctly in the transfer thread. 
It depends on if he is motivated by becoming a great player or money. I’m hoping his career comes first.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

You don't need to try and explain player valuations to us - trust me.   We've had to sell our best players year after year and we fully understand what dictates price. 

we've had Jeffers, Rooney, Lescott, Stones, Rodwell, Gordon, Richarlison, Arteta, Digne all sold at a variety of price and different scenarios. 

The last time United started acting like dicks like this  - they put in £28m joint bid for fellaini and Baines and then paid £28m for fellaini alone. 

we know what branthwaite is worth to us - don't tell us it's bias, we aren't stupid, it's not an inflated fee. The lad will be worth £100m plus in a year or so. Other clubs aren't bidding? Cos they know what his value is - anyone bidding for saliba? 

My issue is that you think a club trying to get a player for the least amount possible is them acting like dicks. We do the same thing as does most every club. Just pointing out the disconnect there. 

This scenario will happen hundreds  of times around the world this transfer window. I suppose I don’t get the anger over what is absolutely standard behavior. 

37 minutes ago, Shukes said:

If they get up to 60m we will most likely accept. Branthwaite is a very good player. But Sparty is right, he isn’t an established international player yet.

He could turn out to be a 100m player if he is patient and learns his trade for another twelve months. And I think this is the right place to do it. 

Someone put it correctly in the transfer thread. 
It depends on if he is motivated by becoming a great player or money. I’m hoping his career comes first.

I think it’s tough for a player not to look at a Top 6 club and a very famous one and think that his career will not be better served making 3x the money and likely playing with better players and eventually in bigger matches. It also does help his international prospects.

I think we will be lucky to keep him this season. Ideally Man U and others aren’t quite ready to empty the bank this year and we get him for another. At that point if we have a decent year and the stadium move is upon us we look a lot more attractive or at least have more leverage to get that 100m. 

I’m not saying this is Jarrad but I do recall when most of us thought Holgate was the next Stones in terms of that sort of transfer after he had an awesome season at a young age. We do always take a risk when it’s a player that isn’t fully established. 

My issue is that you think a club trying to get a player for the least amount possible is them acting like dicks. We do the same thing as does most every club. Just pointing out the disconnect there. 

This scenario will happen hundreds  of times around the world this transfer window. I suppose I don’t get the anger over what is absolutely standard behavior. 

Offering less than half of the asking price is an insult.  Telling the journalists of your activities is a piss take and shite behaviour. 

7 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Offering less than half of the asking price is an insult.  Telling the journalists of your activities is a piss take and shite behaviour. 

You’re speculating on all of that.  Let’s assume it’s true though and you know exactly what we are asking for and exactly what they’ve offered. It’s a negotiation. Maybe we can reach an agreement and maybe not. Maybe they simply are not willing to pay 80m. Maybe we will accept significantly less. You don’t know. 

Regardless this is not an unusual scenario. You don’t think we come in low when trying to reach an agreement on a player? Supporters generally want their club to be tough negotiators when buying and selling so why the pushback when other clubs are the same? That hypocrisy is what I’m pointing out. The obvious explanation is everyone wants to get the absolute best deal for their club no matter what it is. *shrugs.