IGNORED

Yankuba Minteh

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Nearly every footballer around 27 is coming into their physical peak, that's what I mean. He's easily got another 7 years left and he'll get clever and sneakier. 

He should score more but I don't look at him as the goal source and you could argue it's lack of service. But he contributes to all of our attacking play and scores big goals when needed. 

None of that is rosy glasses. That's just the situation.

That's what worries me with Dom. 

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Nearly every footballer around 27 is coming into their physical peak, that's what I mean. He's easily got another 7 years left and he'll get clever and sneakier. 

He should score more but I don't look at him as the goal source and you could argue it's lack of service. But he contributes to all of our attacking play and scores big goals when needed. 

None of that is rosy glasses. That's just the situation.

In all sports it is not years, it is miles. Dom has a lot of miles in the league and quite a few injuries during that time. It’s been 3 full seasons since he’s had a year that wasn’t far below average for what we’d want out of our striker. 

I’m not sure what it means that you don’t look at him as the goal source. That’s his primary job. Yes it’s nice he contributes defensively and can hold up the ball pretty well but he is there to score. In the last 3 years he has 9 goals from open play…9.

Expecting him to now improve in year 9, 10, 11 seems awfully optimistic at this point.  Even if we don’t count his first year he’s had 5 poor seasons and two decent ones. Has an Everton player ever gotten more chances than DCL with less of a return?

52 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

In all sports it is not years, it is miles. Dom has a lot of miles in the league and quite a few injuries during that time. It’s been 3 full seasons since he’s had a year that wasn’t far below average for what we’d want out of our striker. 

I’m not sure what it means that you don’t look at him as the goal source. That’s his primary job. Yes it’s nice he contributes defensively and can hold up the ball pretty well but he is there to score. In the last 3 years he has 9 goals from open play…9.

Expecting him to now improve in year 9, 10, 11 seems awfully optimistic at this point.  Even if we don’t count his first year he’s had 5 poor seasons and two decent ones. Has an Everton player ever gotten more chances than DCL with less of a return?

Uh, I certainly have never seen any evidence to show that it's miles rather than years. I've seen lots of work done to show that too many minutes / game activity in the short term increases the risk of injury, but long term I haven't seen anything that is conclusive and I would assume that age is the better predictor of injury.

Happy to be proven wrong if you have a study you're referencing but I just don;t think this is true.

You need to have been watching football for over a decade to get what Matt means I think. 
There is a difference between a traditional number 9 and a striker for example.

Everton have a lot of recent number 9s.

Ferguson for one. Not a prolific goal score by any means. But at times absolutely unplayable. Paul Rideout was an another example. Other teams have also had players that they would class as their top players that weren’t great goal scorers. Arsenal had Allan Smith for example. 

Look at Dons performance’s towards the end of the season and ask yourself this question…..

Did he have a major impact on the teams performance’s and results? For me, that means I would like him to stay.

Was Graeme Sharp or Gary Lineker the most prolific?

A great goal scorer isn’t always a recipe for success.

Harry Kane has banged goals in over in Germany. And Bayern won nothing.

1 hour ago, Matt Tiger said:

Uh, I certainly have never seen any evidence to show that it's miles rather than years. I've seen lots of work done to show that too many minutes / game activity in the short term increases the risk of injury, but long term I haven't seen anything that is conclusive and I would assume that age is the better predictor of injury.

Happy to be proven wrong if you have a study you're referencing but I just don;t think this is true.

It’s true in every sport. It’s less about how many years you have in then wear and tear. It’s why NFL running backs seldom make it to 30 and quarterbacks can play until 40. It’s why a boxer might be considered old at 28 depending how many fights they have had.

Dom has struggled with injury a good bit in his career and this will be year 9 on the premier league. He’s not a young man in the game anymore and I don’t have much faith his best is ahead of him.  I’d love to be wrong but I think he’s had more than enough time to show his level. If he’s in a team with James Rodriguez, Richie etc..he is gonna convert some of the many chances he gets. If he doesn’t have that service he will struggle as we’ve seen the last three years

42 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’s true in every sport. It’s less about how many years you have in then wear and tear. It’s why NFL running backs seldom make it to 30 and quarterbacks can play until 40. It’s why a boxer might be considered old at 28 depending how many fights they have had.

Dom has struggled with injury a good bit in his career and this will be year 9 on the premier league. He’s not a young man in the game anymore and I don’t have much faith his best is ahead of him.  I’d love to be wrong but I think he’s had more than enough time to show his level. If he’s in a team with James Rodriguez, Richie etc..he is gonna convert some of the many chances he gets. If he doesn’t have that service he will struggle as we’ve seen the last three years

NFL players and boxers get physically assaulted on a daily basis, it's not remotely comparable. 

Prime in US sports maybe about mileage, but in football, this is that period where the engines broken in and you can let loose. You've got the experience and theoretically physically at your best (for an outfield player, different for keepers). You've learnt tricks and know the players in the league better, the refs. 

I'll go back to the same question I asked when Lukaku was linked away. Ok, then who? Because that person will have to deal with a similar amount of creativity and must be an improvement to boot. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

NFL players and boxers get physically assaulted on a daily basis, it's not remotely comparable. 

Prime in US sports maybe about mileage, but in football, this is that period where the engines broken in and you can let loose. You've got the experience and theoretically physically at your best (for an outfield player, different for keepers). You've learnt tricks and know the players in the league better, the refs. 

I'll go back to the same question I asked when Lukaku was linked away. Ok, then who? Because that person will have to deal with a similar amount of creativity and must be an improvement to boot. 

It is absolutely not the standard thought in the NBA, or the MLB, that mileage is more important than age. The two sports picked here are examples of this because they take traumatic hits to the head as part of the game. 

it's a funny old game, never did I think Brighton HA would be a team beating us to transfers. 

maybe just a transfer window or two too soon for us. This first month or so of this transfer window is definitely an advantage to clubs not affected by PSR.

Newcastle getting lucky Mintah had such a good season on loan, looking like his sale will sort their PSR issues out in a oner. 

27 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

it's a funny old game, never did I think Brighton HA would be a team beating us to transfers. 

maybe just a transfer window or two too soon for us. This first month or so of this transfer window is definitely an advantage to clubs not affected by PSR.

Newcastle getting lucky Mintah had such a good season on loan, looking like his sale will sort their PSR issues out in a oner. 

They aren’t though, not really. Dom asking for more than Newcastle wanted to pay him is the reason Minteh isn’t an Everton player. 

Or Newcastle asking more money for him than we wanted to pay.  That’s what another report says.

Or Dom didn’t really want to go there and would only accept if it’s a great deal for him.

Or, Everton weren’t actually that interested in the first place as we haven’t made a solid offer.

What will be interesting is it see how he does next season. That will give us a good indication of whether players prices are inflated or not.

16 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Or Newcastle asking more money for him than we wanted to pay.  That’s what another report says.

Or Dom didn’t really want to go there and would only accept if it’s a great deal for him.

Or, Everton weren’t actually that interested in the first place as we haven’t made a solid offer.

What will be interesting is it see how he does next season. That will give us a good indication of whether players prices are inflated or not.

I’d be more inclined to believe The Athletic, and that Dom was asking for from the skunks than they wanted to give him, because they clearly have sources at the club but all that really matters is that Brighton haven’t beaten us to anyone. He was coming here and now he’s not for reasons out of the clubs control. 

I don’t think anything other than the clubs spoke to each about it briefly happened. I don’t find any actual offers anywhere.

When we swapped with Villa, there were clear offers and amounts on the table. With this one, there was the same old regurgitated story on all media, with no details. 

But we’ll most likely never know.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They aren’t though, not really. Dom asking for more than Newcastle wanted to pay him is the reason Minteh isn’t an Everton player. 

yeah, but we can't complete a deal because we are having to relying on selling Dom.

club with the riches owners in the world Newcastle have to sell, Everton can't just buy, but little old Brighton just roll in at the eleventh hour and grab what might be considered a £33m bargain. 

as I said, it's just turned in to a funny game at the moment. 

7 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

To be honest I’m more excited at the thought of Jayden Philogene joining for half the price anyway

Agree with you here mate. Minteh looks exciting but 33 million is quite steep. We could potentially get Gnonto & Philogene for 35 million, which is fair better value for money.

15 hours ago, Btay said:

Agree with you here mate. Minteh looks exciting but 33 million is quite steep. We could potentially get Gnonto & Philogene for 35 million, which is fair better value for money.

the truth is Newcastle got him at the right time at £6.5m, and that's where we need to get better.

At £33m he is now no 'hidden' gem. There will be plenty of young wingers with equal potential at age and price.

Same with Gnonto really, Leeds got him at the right time.