IGNORED

Jake O’Brien

Just now, Btay said:

Mate a 4th choice centre back on 80k a week is not what we need. We could find a CB for under 10 mil from the championship that could do what he does

Who's comfortable coming and sitting on the bench? Might as well promote a u21 kid in that case, at least they'd be hungry. 

He's not the player he should've been but he is nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be. Yes it's a lot of wages but it is still a lot less than agents fees, signing on fees, transfer fees and wages plus bonuses and clauses...

I know what you're getting at I just don't agree mate

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Who's comfortable coming and sitting on the bench? Might as well promote a u21 kid in that case, at least they'd be hungry. 

He's not the player he should've been but he is nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be. Yes it's a lot of wages but it is still a lot less than agents fees, signing on fees, transfer fees and wages plus bonuses and clauses...

I know what you're getting at I just don't agree mate

What's the difference with Keane sitting on the bench or a player from the championship in terms of hunger?

I see your point mate but I also don't agree, respectfully. I honestly feel he has been at this club for about 3 years longer than he should. However- If i have to choose between him or Holgate as our back up with no other option, I'm choosing Keane. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Who's comfortable coming and sitting on the bench?

This doesn’t necessarily need to happen - we need to sign a centre back who can play left back e.g Lescott, Ake, Gvardiol - (obviously we’re not getting Ake or Gvardiol) plenty out there and with a bit of luck they can provide decent competition for Mykolenko.

The Ricardo Rodriguez link makes a lot of sense - he’s someone who started life as a left back but seems to have slotted in as a centre back as his career has progressed - not the answer long term but could be a very smart signing for a season or 2.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

What's the difference with Keane sitting on the bench or a player from the championship in terms of hunger?

I see your point mate but I also don't agree, respectfully. I honestly feel he has been at this club for about 3 years longer than he should. However- If i have to choose between him or Holgate as our back up with no other option, I'm choosing Keane. 

Think we've got wires crossed. I don't think Keane is hungry but I do think he's a professional in the true sense of the word, he's stepped up when required in recent years to do a job. I think if we want to fill that position, why spend money on an unknown potential when we've supposedly got a youth team full of potential that we could promote for those 2-3 games needed. 

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This doesn’t necessarily need to happen - we need to sign a centre back who can play left back e.g Lescott, Ake, Gvardiol - (obviously we’re not getting Ake or Gvardiol) plenty out there and with a bit of luck they can provide decent competition for Mykolenko.

The Ricardo Rodriguez link makes a lot of sense - he’s someone who started life as a left back but seems to have slotted in as a centre back as his career has progressed - not the answer long term but could be a very smart signing for a season or 2.

Not necessarily I agree but I'm pretty confident in thinking that Dyche is always going to favour 4 at the back so the options you mention aren't that realistic for us (or at least very unlikely to be implemented) Im happy to be proven wrong though, we could do with another Lescott

9 hours ago, Btay said:

DCL may sign on still mate. I don’t see him being the type to run his contract down and leave on a free, especially after how we supported him through his injuries.

He’s got us in limbo he needs to go asap 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Think we've got wires crossed. I don't think Keane is hungry but I do think he's a professional in the true sense of the word years, he's stepped up when required in recent years to do a job. I think if we want to fill that position, why spend money on an unknown potential when we've supposedly got a youth team full of potential that we could promote for those 2-3 games needed. 

If we have a youth player who is at a decent level i would have no issue with them as the 4th choice CB however I'm not sure we have that but i agree completely with that point.

I just don't think Keane (or Holgate) are remotely good enough for this level, even as depth. I hope for his sake he can get a move away, play footy at a good level, play well & enjoy himself doing so.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Rough around the edges, but I’m sure being along Tarks will sort that out. To early to put aside Branthwaite yet, but exciting to imagine these two together in the future.

I'm certainly not doing that but if O'Brien does well while Branthwaite is out then the spot is his.

He gives us good options in how we can line up as well, especially if Dyche feels we need to go with 3 at back to compensate that we may struggle with the RB position, and he gives us the option to rotate the CBs when tiredness and niggles come into play. 
Far better options than we would have had with Keane or Holgate stepping into side. 

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He gives us good options in how we can line up as well, especially if Dyche feels we need to go with 3 at back to compensate that we may struggle with the RB position, and he gives us the option to rotate the CBs when tiredness and niggles come into play. 
Far better options than we would have had with Keane or Holgate stepping into side. 

Don’t write Holgate and Keane off yet they might be here for another season and play for a new contract. 

2 hours ago, patto said:

Don’t write Holgate and Keane off yet they might be here for another season and play for a new contract. 

Holgate should have been out the door years ago, one of those players where you just despair at still being on the books. He's someone that I can, hand on heart say that I've written off. Despite being content with him leaving, it would be a travesty to sell Godfrey for example and keep Holgate (and to a lesser extent Keane) around.

• 3 weeks later...