IGNORED

Euro 2024

2 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Listen, I know Southgate's style of football is drab. To say the least. But international tournaments are so unpredictable, and the fact that he has this team into yet another semifinal can't be brushed aside

Oh yes it can. He's a terrible manager. Plenty of others, with such a talented bunch of players, would have them winning like Spain. In the case of Southgate, is there a single game so far that you'd say England clearly deserved to win?

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Listen, I know Southgate's style of football is drab. To say the least. But international tournaments are so unpredictable, and the fact that he has this team into yet another semifinal can't be brushed aside

Well done Gareth. Not

6 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

From a purely pragmatic point of view, yeah. But it's so fucking dull, it's so, so poor. This squad should be scoring 2-3 a game but they're absolutely hamstrung.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

From a purely pragmatic point of view, yeah. But it's so fucking dull, it's so, so poor. This squad should be scoring 2-3 a game but they're absolutely hamstrung.

You're probably right. I've just been indoctrinated my whole life to expect losing from every sports team I support. So at some point I stop giving a shit about the how and more about the result

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

He needs to win a tournament, this tournament, or he'll go down as an abject failure for me. Even if we win it it'll forever be remembered as despite him, rather than because of him.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

We've won one game in proper time. One.

It's been fucking pathetic and I'm looking forward to the end of his time as manager.

BBC on a cringeworthy "don't upset the manager and team" mission. 

his inability to identify that we needed subs before the goal was a sackable offence in itself.  An awful manager who basically set us up to draw and only threw the dice when losing. We played extra time looking for penalties 

Jonathan Liew wrote:

"The game in summary: England were bad for about 90 minutes, good for about 30 minutes in eight separate spells, Saka slammed in a moonshot from the edge of the area, Jordan Pickford saved a penalty, and Southgate has now reached as many tournament semi-finals as all his predecessors combined. Don’t try to spot a pattern in any of this. There isn’t one. The origin truth of football is that outstanding individuals doing outrageous things is no basis for a team. The origin truth of international tournaments is that, every once in a while, it doesn’t matter."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/06/disintegrating-england-put-on-best-show-yet-by-bringing-the-vibes