IGNORED

Euro 2024

Poland first team eliminated from the Euros following their loss to Austria and the draw between France and the Netherlands.

I saw that Lewandowski came in as a sub today but I'd be curious to see how much he plays since they'll have nothing to play for in their final group stage match on Tuesday vs. France. 

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't remember seeing Poland (or Lewandowski) ever have a good tournament. They always disappoint.

Lewandowski has been on their senior team since September 2008. Since then, they've only made it out of the group stage in the Euros or World Cup twice total. They lost on penalties to Portugal in the quarterfinals of Euro 2016 in France. They lost to France in the round of 16 in the most recent World Cup in Qatar. 

At least they're making it into these tournaments. Imagine being a talent like Haaland and never having a chance of playing in a major tournament because there's not enough talent on your national team otherwise. 

Switzerland-Germany finishes in a 1:1 draw.

Hungary with a stoppage time goal at 90+9' to defeat Scotland 0:1. 

Germany finishes atop Group A. Switzerland are runners-up in the group. 

While Hungary has a chance to make the knockouts as one of the top 4 3rd place teams, their GD of -3 means they'll have to have a lot break their way for it to happen.  

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Devastating for Scotland. Can England play with the same conviction? I suspect they'll progress with a draw against Slovenia.

Conviction? They had one shot on target in a game they had to win. It was a poor effort in all honesty. 

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Conviction? They had one shot on target in a game they had to win. It was a poor effort in all honesty. 

My mistake. It was 0 shots on target and 5 attempts full stop, compared to 14 for Hungary and 5 on target.

Real conviction there, Steve. I hope we aspire to emulate that :lol:.

18 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Devastating for Scotland. Can England play with the same conviction? I suspect they'll progress with a draw against Slovenia.

It would take quite a set of circumstances for England not to go through, even as one of the top 4 3rd place sides. Worst case scenario, they lose to Slovenia and Denmark beats Serbia, then they'll be at 4 points and one would think that should be enough as one of the top 3rd place sides.