IGNORED

Euro 2024

Quite a good start from the hosts today.

Was listening to Ian Darke mention on commentary today that Spain has a young player named Lamine Yamal. He is only 16 (would turn 17 the day before the Euro final) and has come up through Barcelona's youth academies. He made his debut for Barcelona's senior team during the 2022-2023 season and got more extensive playing time this past season for Barca. Once he makes his first appearance in this tournament, he will become the youngest player to ever appear at the Euros.

14 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Tactical masterclass from Southgate tonight. He somehow managed to make a world class Phil Foden look like San Marino would be too good for him. 

Awful awful awful...... criminal what he's done with that squad of players 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Awful awful awful...... criminal what he's done with that squad of players 

If the bright spark decides to play Alexander-Arnold in midfield when/if we come up one of the top sides we’ll get absolutely annihilated. Yes he can pick a pass but playing midfield involves so much more than that and he doesn’t have it.

He almost cost us twice tonight, he’s a liability. 

When I was watching the match, I was surprised by how many Palace players there are on the England squad. I know most of them won't be in or near the starting XI. Just would not have been one of the PL squads I would have figured would have that many players playing for England. 

Bellingham played more time in a deeper role than Alexander especially in the second half and played well when doing so, Alexander looked lost at times and was often oblivious as to what was happening around him. 
When we are safe in the group stage and out of it I would be playing Palmer instead of Alexander, allow them 2 to mix it up between themselves with who’s holding and who’s going forward they can both play with energy tackle and look after the ball and most importantly score regularly, Alexander is no where near their standards or strengths.  

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Bellingham played more time in a deeper role than Alexander especially in the second half and played well when doing so, Alexander looked lost at times and was often oblivious as to what was happening around him. 
When we are safe in the group stage and out of it I would be playing Palmer instead of Alexander, allow them 2 to mix it up between themselves with who’s holding and who’s going forward they can both play with energy tackle and look after the ball and most importantly score regularly, Alexander is no where near their standards or strengths.  

He has no awareness whatsoever. It's frightening that anyone would ever think to put him in a position where awareness is everything.

I'd have Mainoo or Wharton in there and push Rice forward into the position he's been playing all season for Arsenal.

14 minutes ago, Sev said:

Belgium lost to Slovakia 0-1 and most would say that's one of the first bigger surprises in this tournament.

It's amazing how much Belgium have wasted their golden generation. They could really have been something special but they're miles off it and this was undoubtedly their last chance. 

Not on the same level, as France won things but it reminds of how they'd go to major tournaments and just fuck it up through mass in-fighting.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's amazing how much Belgium have wasted their golden generation. They could really have been something special but they're miles off it and this was undoubtedly their last chance. 

Not on the same level, as France won things but it reminds of how they'd go to major tournaments and just fuck it up through mass in-fighting.

Thought their keeper should've done better for the goal, was a routine shot straight at him and he just punched it to a striker...or am I being harsh?

3 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Biggest upset by FIFA ranking in Euro history. Belgium was ranked #3 coming into the match. Slovakia was #48. 

And yet I wasn't surprised by the result after the final whistle. Team chemistry havn't been optimal, though quite a few good to great players; the golden generation Zoo was referring to. Lukaku missed quite a few in that game, by the way.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Thought their keeper should've done better for the goal, was a routine shot straight at him and he just punched it to a striker...or am I being harsh?

Like the rest of the belgium team he could have done better, yes.

What an absolute blert Danny Murphy is. Throwing his arms up in the air exclaiming "What's the point in making subs with five minutes to go?!" before both subs combine to grab the winner for Portugal in the 92nd minute. Probably why Roberto Martinez is paid millions to manage a national team and he's co-commentating for the BBC. 

Such a negative helmet.