IGNORED

Euro 2024

12 minutes ago, Formby said:

We shall schedule the next vocab test for the start of September. 👍 🙂

I can barely remember this morning and we're still in it let alone after a 90hr week with cancelled flights and a hypo on the plane :lol:

Sounds like Englands play style to me:

(of language or style) tediously pompous or bombastic. 

On 11/07/2024 at 00:54, Cornish Steve said:

Spain will take some beating. If England become champions, they will have deserved it beating Spain. 

We faced greater odds against the Armada! Bad luck, bad tactics and bad weather defeated the Spanish then. Let's see how they deal with our bad tactics today!

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I can barely remember this morning and we're still in it let alone after a 90hr week with cancelled flights and and a hypo on the plane :lol:

England playing pompously??? Have you been watching Last Night of the Proms???

1 minute ago, Formby said:

England playing pompously??? Have you been watching Last Night of the Proms???

Have you see them strut about and flap all over the place in the attempts of getting attention?

:clutching_at_straws_by_dirtypai

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can barely remember this morning and we're still in it let alone after a 90hr week with cancelled flights and and a hypo on the plane :lol:

A diabetic one???

9 minutes ago, Formby said:

A diabetic one???

Similar. I get insulin dumps when my sugars start to get low so I can be walking along fine and 2 mins later on the floor. The easyJet staff were brilliant, saw I looked pale (I just thought I was feeling funny because of the heat, was 31c and 60% humidity) and from the door of the plane to my seat in the second row I went from lucid and chatty to passing out in the seat. They shoved glucogel in me then fed me chocolate until I stabilised after about 10 mins. It's been a fun few weeks :lol:

Severe reactive hyperglycaemia and dumping syndrome apparently.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Similar. I get insulin dumps when my sugars start to get low so I can be walking along fine and 2 mins later on the floor. The easyJet staff were brilliant, saw I looked pale (I just thought I was feeling funny because of the heat, was 31c and 60% humidity) and from the door of the plane to my seat in the second row I went from lucid and chatty to passing out in the seat. They shoved glucogel in me then fed me chocolate until I stabilised after about 10 mins. It's been a fun few weeks :lol:

Severe reactive hyperglycaemia sounds really awful.

And 'dumping syndrome' - crikey, I hesitate to ask what happens there! 

7 minutes ago, Formby said:

Severe reactive hyperglycaemia sounds really awful.

And 'dumping syndrome' - crikey, I hesitate to ask what happens there! 

It was explained to me like this:

You eat 10 sugar, your body produces the appropriate quantity for that sugar, so let's say 10 insulin to keep it simple. During the day, that 10 sugar would be getting it's dose of insulin at the same time as required. For me, when I get to 4.5 (the healthiest low), I still have 8-9 insulin and then it all gets released, wiping out the remaining sugar. When I first did the test for this (had to do it 3 times, don't ask), when I hit 4.5 I dropped to 2.1 within a minute and scared the hell out of everyone one there. I was talking to them and getting ready to leave then on my side. Also means I have to be really careful about how much I intake too because if my sugar goes too high, the insulin still doesn't release on time so then I start with diabetic shock. 

COVID has a lot to answer for. Up until I had it, always had about 15-30 mins warning so I could eat and prevent a hypo. These days I just have to get whatever sugar I've got available nearby in my mouth before I pass out and wait to come around again. 

https://www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents/Patient-leaflets/DiabetesUnit/6768-1-Dietary-guidelines-for-reactive-hypoglycaemia.pdf

Mine isn't triggered by carbs though

https://www.leedsth.nhs.uk/patients/resources/dietary-advice-dumping-syndrome-after-surgery/

Problem is it could be both or either and neither are fully understood. A lot of people manage with diet but that's not worked for me at all. Rhythm is my only ally at the moment as well as meftaform but it's not a nice medication 

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/side-effects-of-metformin/

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Hmm - thinking of a plan for getting free chocolate on all my future flights... :)

Glad all is OK, though. It sounds like a scary episode.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

COVID has a lot to answer for. Up until I had it, always had about 15-30 mins warning so I could eat and prevent a hypo. These days I just have to get whatever sugar I've got available nearby in my mouth before I pass out and wait to come around again. 

Yes, it does. My younger daughter stills suffers from post-COVID effects. The biggest issues is POTS, although she's learned to control the sudden rapid heart rate and poor circulation through various daily techniques. It doesn't help, though, when company managers refuse to listen to her doctor's advice about work practices and schedules.

40 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, it does. My younger daughter stills suffers from post-COVID effects. The biggest issues is POTS, although she's learned to control the sudden rapid heart rate and poor circulation through various daily techniques. It doesn't help, though, when company managers refuse to listen to her doctor's advice about work practices and schedules.

Please tell them to fuck off, really.

58 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Hmm - thinking of a plan for getting free chocolate on all my future flights... :)

Glad all is OK, though. It sounds like a scary episode.

They all are. I was looking at the tabs you can stick on your arm that connects to your phone so you can get realtime updates but it's so fast I'm not it's worth the expense.

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Serves us right for those shit tactics, shit starting line-up, too late making subs, and then sitting deep again after getting ourselves back in the game.

Southgate must go and Kane needs to retire. They were our two biggest problems during this tournament. 

Yup. He's basically been a Dyche for the England team, he's brought stability and brought the squad forward over his time but he doesn't know how to get to that next step. Kane is an anchor especially against a possession team.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yup. He's basically been a Dyche for the England team, he's brought stability and brought the squad forward over his time but he doesn't know how to get to that next step. Kane is an anchor especially against a possession team.

At 1-1 that dick head was about to bring Trippier and Gallagher on.

Fucking moron. 

Shite manager + talented squad = huge disappointment. 

He's wasted 4 tournaments now. I don't mind losing to better sides - I do mind losing cos our manager makes the other sides better. 

Every time we face a team of arguably equal ability - we fail and it's cos the manager is shit. 

that's it in short. If he manages the World Cup I'll be livid. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Shite manager + talented squad = huge disappointm
that's it in short. If he manages the World Cup I'll be livid. 

He won't. Will bail out because he knows the shit he'll take.

Kane did nothing, just nothing. The camera panned to him several times during the first half, but that was probably to remind us that he was actually on the pitch. It's good he was taken off on the hour, but he never should have started. He's the Ronaldo on our team: expected to play by those with clout and money, but he ruins it for talented younger players.

Another anonymous player was Foden, although at least he had a moment or two where he contributed.

Player of the game for England was Jordan Pickford, who kept England in it on several occasions. I thought John Stones was solid as well.

The first Spanish goal was criminal. Who was marking Williams? He was wide open. Any manager worth his salt would have acted to remedy that failing, but what happened two minutes after the goal? Williams is unmarked again, almost leading to another Spanish goal. This is what managers are for: to recognize weaknesses in the opponents' setup and exploit them, and to recognize weakness in your own team's setup and address them. Southgate proved his ineptness by allowing that failing to be exploited time and again.

All credit to Spain: for most of the game, they were the far superior team, and the final score was flattering to England. The latter played better once Kane and Foden were subbed, but this was a case of too little too late.

If England hopes to do better in the World Cup, they need to drop Kane and replace Southgate. England has so many talented players, but that matters for squat if the manager doesn't know how to forge a team - and teams cannot be weighed down with has-beens. For those who support England, I hope the authorities have the guts to act, but I wouldn't hold your breath.