IGNORED

Euro 2024

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Not sure how Kane stayed on the pitch so long. 

Me neither but he did manage to get kicked and score a good pen. Just wish he didn't drop soooo far back. Watkins played on the shoulder as soon as he came on (like a striker should) and lo! There was someone to pass the ball to in a dangerous area :o Cracking finish from the lad who's really proven me wrong. 

We still looked dodgy as fuck without the ball but in attack I thought we were loads better in the first half. Second half we resorted to being lacklustre again and the Netherlands were the better side.

I have to say, I was hoping Kane had broke his foot winning that penalty so we could be rid of him. Fair play, he took a great penalty but he's a hindrance. 

The momentum switched when that joke of a penalty was given. It sounds as if England were the better team after that. As for Southgate, didn’t someone mention blind squirrels and nuts?

Spain will take some beating. If England become champions, they will have deserved it beating Spain. 

1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

The momentum switched when that joke of a penalty was given. It sounds as if England were the better team after that. As for Southgate, didn’t someone mention blind squirrels and nuts?

Spain will take some beating. If England become champions, they will have deserved it beating Spain. 

I keep seeing people saying it wasn't a penalty but if a player shows his studs like that going for the ball anywhere else on the pitch no one is going to say it shouldn't be a free-kick.

I probably wouldn't have been moaning if we hadn't got a penalty for it but I don't think it's this major fuck up from the officials either.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I keep seeing people saying it wasn't a penalty but if a player shows his studs like that going for the ball anywhere else on the pitch no one is going to say it shouldn't be a free-kick.

I probably wouldn't have been moaning if we hadn't got a penalty for it but I don't think it's this major fuck up from the officials either.

Yep. It was a foul, plain and simple

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Spot on any where else on the pitch that’s a free kick automatically, so why wouldn’t it be just because it’s in the box, definitely a pen. 

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Studs up and nowhere near the ball (otherwise it would've been blocked). Penalty all day long. 

Pleased with you, England, that you've beaten the dutch. And congratulations reaching the final. Deserved? Probably not, but try to remember that it's England and not Southgate.

Your last obstacle will be Spain in Berlin. I will cheer for you and your players, not Southgate and his armchair tactics and ready-to-play-golf outfit.

49 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I hope everyone is ready for him getting a new contract no matter what happens on Sunday.

Can't happen.... just can not happen.  I know people who wanted us to crash out cos it gives us a better chance at World Cup 

I just can't get excited by it at all, had it on the TV but not really paying that much attention.

Will try to remember @Sev's point that it's "England, not Southgate" for the final, but I think I'll struggle. Players are so unrelatable, mostly pimple faced multi-millionaires who have zero real life experience and never will. Jordan's different obviously, because hes "one of us," and there are other exceptions, Toney for example.

I'll watch the final, and I'll be glad if we win (unlikely); but it's all a bit of a non-event for me.

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I just can't get excited by it at all, had it on the TV but not really paying that much attention.

Will try to remember @Sev's point that it's "England, not Southgate" for the final, but I think I'll struggle. Players are so unrelatable, mostly pimple faced multi-millionaires who have zero real life experience and never will. Jordan's different obviously, because hes "one of us," and there are other exceptions, Toney for example.

I'll watch the final, and I'll be glad if we win (unlikely); but it's all a bit of a non-event for me.

It's a pity isn't it. I'm struggling too.   Southgate as an England manager is insult to injury when you have had to endure these types of managers as Everton bosses.  They had excuses to a degree - Southgate doesn't. 

all the years where the hurt of Mexico 86, Italian 90 and euro 96 made us think how good it would be to win something..... yet when we have a real chance there is little engagement. Shit really 

What we’re seeing is the rotten influence of money and sponsors. They demand that star players from the rich teams play. The manager, more of a PR role than anything else, must then decide how to play two left backs and no right back in the same team, forcing some to play out of position. Players are there to make money, not for pride of representing country. It’s an entertainment industry out to make a profit and no longer sport. L

The US courts ruled that the NFL is entertainment and not a sport so they don’t have to be fair or consistent if more profit can be made. They’re following the lead of wrestling, of course. The next step will be rigging games to ensure the most popular teams always win to draw the biggest crowds and sell the most merchandise. Sad isn’t it?

in which two European countries do the sports entertainment, apparel, and gambling industries make the most profit? Would they happen to be England and Spain?

52 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

What we’re seeing is the rotten influence of money and sponsors. They demand that star players from the rich teams play. The manager, more of a PR role than anything else, must then decide how to play two left backs and no right back in the same team, forcing some to play out of position. Players are there to make money, not for pride of representing country. It’s an entertainment industry out to make a profit and no longer sport. 

The US courts ruled that the NFL is entertainment and not a sport so they don’t have to be fair or consistent if more profit can be made. They’re following the lead of wrestling, of course. The next step will be rigging games to ensure the most popular teams always win to draw the biggest crowds and sell the most merchandise. Sad isn’t it?

Absolutely agree with you there. 

Side note, totally unrelated, I saw Sasquatch, the Loch Ness monster and ET hanging out recently

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The only way England can win against Spain is to drop Harry Kane. Does Southgate have the courage to do so?

That's a no from me. Southgate have no courage, at all. If he had then Kane would have been dropped long ago. Looks like England have to rely on fast wing-play a lot. Will be difficult.

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The only way England can win against Spain is to drop Harry Kane. Does Southgate have the courage to do so?

If it ain't broke don't fix it will be his approach. England are in a final (again) with this turgid football, but that's further than any other style of football has taken the team in a long time. If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid.

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it will be his approach. England are in a final (again) with this turgid football, but that's further than any other style of football has taken the team in a long time. If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid.

On 07/03/2024 at 14:27, Formby said:

And I agree with all of this except the word 'turgid'! :GrammarPolice: I think you mean 'torpid'! I am not sure how turgid came to be associated with all things dull, lifeless, boring, lazy, monotonous etc, (especially in football commentary) but it's not what it means! Apologies for the pedantry!

On 07/03/2024 at 16:23, Matt said:

Learnt something new, thanks :)

We shall schedule the next vocab test for the start of September. 👍 🙂