IGNORED

Trump/US Politics

johnh

A couple of questions for our ( good old boys) American blues. 
1) What is the general consensus on how Trump has dealt with the Virus. 
2) If many Americans lose their lives ( and I pray that they don’t) could that cost Trump a second term if felt he could have handled it a lot better, or will it have no bearing and he will be re-elected no matter what happens. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

2) If many Americans lose their lives ( and I pray that they don’t) could that cost Trump a second term if felt he could have handled it a lot better, or will it have no bearing and he will be re-elected no matter what happens. 

My experience talking to family and friends over there is; depends on your existing political alignment. It won’t harm his chances at all.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

👍 Pretty much as I thought to many he can do no wrong.  

I’m not sure it’s that. I think it’s because this isn’t something he started and, even though he’s made some stupid comments (which people are numb too, even expect) and made bad decisions, that’s been true of a lot of leaders. Plus, whilst he’s been slow to react, there are efforts being made which will be fuel to support him  

I hate that all this has a political side though to be honest. It shows such ignorance, pettiness and overall misunderstanding of politics, timelines and the nature of life. It’s brought out the best of a lot of people, but once it’s subsided next year (I don’t see things being resolved until then) it’s going to become a tool for politicians to bicker and fight more, and people seem to have short memories.

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

I hate that all this has a political side though to be honest. It shows such ignorance, pettiness and overall misunderstanding of politics, timelines and the nature of life.

I do agree that it’s not helpful when political opponents use it as a weapon to beat each other with whilst we are still fighting it, they should be working together for the good of everyone. 
But when the people who hold the power to make a difference are getting it wrong, then they should be criticised in the hope it makes them do better to say nothing would be just as damaging imo. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I do agree that it’s not helpful when political opponents use it as a weapon to beat each other with whilst we are still fighting it, they should be working together for the good of everyone. 
But when the people who hold the power to make a difference are getting it wrong, then they should be criticised in the hope it makes them do better to say nothing would be just as damaging imo. 

Criticizing is absolutely the right thing to do, but it shouldn’t ever be a tool for oneupmanship which it will be, and already is to a degree. 

When i get 30 mins on the computer I’ll be having a big rant about all this!

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Criticizing is absolutely the right thing to do, but it shouldn’t ever be a tool for oneupmanship which it will be, and already is to a degree. 

When i get 30 mins on the computer I’ll be having a big rant about all this!

Not to big Matt my spirits need lifting mate😂

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Not to big Matt my spirits need lifting mate😂

After reading some threads and posts, I’ve become infuriated by the sheer lack of perspective of some, on both sides of the topic and I need to get it off Mum chest. 

Unfortunately my replacement phone is mental and infuriating even for short posts, so when i get time I’m getting on the computer to rant. Then I’ll be happy and positive 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

After reading some threads and posts, I’ve become infuriated by the sheer lack of perspective of some, on both sides of the topic and I need to get it off Mum chest. 

Unfortunately my replacement phone is mental and infuriating even for short posts, so when i get time I’m getting on the computer to rant. Then I’ll be happy and positive 

Fuck something tells me I’m in the shit. 

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

1) Consensus is about 50/50 right now. 

2) I think it depends on where we are come closer to election time. If we're not showing any progress but other countries are then I suspect that will sway a few of the middle-of-the-road Republicans. 

I do blame Trump for his slow response and treating it as a hoax when it came out, but then you also have some other folks who aren't taking this pandemic seriously. My state just now went into "shelter-in-place" mode, and it's already been three months. Should've happened when we got the first few cases. We're right in the middle of travel hotspots (Florida & New Orleans).

45 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

1) Consensus is about 50/50 right now. 

2) I think it depends on where we are come closer to election time. If we're not showing any progress but other countries are then I suspect that will sway a few of the middle-of-the-road Republicans. 

I do blame Trump for his slow response and treating it as a hoax when it came out, but then you also have some other folks who aren't taking this pandemic seriously. My state just now went into "shelter-in-place" mode, and it's already been three months. Should've happened when we got the first few cases. We're right in the middle of travel hotspots (Florida & New Orleans).

I think being slow to react and not learning from those that are doing better and those that aren’t, is beyond contemptible it’s the same virus no matter what country you live in and will be devastating for those countries that don’t take the tough decisions faster. 
Trump for me acts like he’s invincible because he’s the leader of the most powerful country in the world, again he scorns advice from the medical professionals in your country, when they recommended people try to protect themselves and others by wearing a mask,  he puts the advice down by saying he wouldn’t wear a mask and tells the country you don’t have to wear one, what idiot would say that in all honesty, yet his wife tweets the complete opposite. 
She must be thinking what a dick I’ve married. 
Stay safe Sibdane New Orleans has I believe the most positive case per head than anywhere else in the State’s and is a ticking time bomb. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

1.  He’s been horrible.  But it’s all partisan, liberals think he’s been bad, conservatives approve of anything he does and tow the party line regardless.

2. This is a strange one.  The people that are dying the stereotypically conservatives (aka old people).  I don’t think he’s shifted opinion on him with the job he’s done but if it gets really bad all those “it’s a hoax it will blow over next week” sound clips will be playing constantly come election time.

but another wrinkle is the election.  My state Ohio canceled our primary and is doing only mail in ballots.  This greatly favors conservatives As poor folks aren’t paying postage and going online to Print off a ballot (need access to internet, need printer, need post stamps).  All those work against the poor and middle class especially in the depression we are about to be in.  If the general election is the same way I think he will win no problem. 

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

1.  He’s been horrible.  But it’s all partisan, liberals think he’s been bad, conservatives approve of anything he does and how the party line regardless.

2. This is a strange one.  The people that are dying the stereotypically conservatives (aka old people).  I don’t think he’s shifted opinion on him with the job he’s done but if it gets really bad all those “it’s a hoax it will blow over next week” sound clips will be playing constantly come election time.

but another wrinkle is the election.  My state Ohio canceled our primary and is doing only mail in ballots.  This greatly favors conservatives As poor folks aren’t paying postage and going online to do all the legwork to vote.  If the general election is the same way I think he will win no problem. 

Things could fall into his lap when it comes to the primaries, stay safe Mark. 

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

1.  He’s been horrible.  But it’s all partisan, liberals think he’s been bad, conservatives approve of anything he does and tow the party line regardless.

but another wrinkle is the election.  My state Ohio canceled our primary and is doing only mail in ballots.  This greatly favors conservatives As poor folks aren’t paying postage and going online to Print off a ballot (need access to internet, need printer, need post stamps).  All those work against the poor and middle class especially in the depression we are about to be in.  If the general election is the same way I think he will win no problem. 

Hearing small murmurs that the election could possibly not happen... I really hope that's not the case. That would be Trump's dream come true.

15 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Hearing small murmurs that the election could possibly not happen... I really hope that's not the case. That would be Trump's dream come true.

No way could it go ahead with current restrictions in place, but you'd hope by November things will be sorted. The rallies and stuff you could do without anyway if needed.

Trump now blaming the WHO for not taking it serious enough in the beginning, what a prick he’s been playing the blame game for weeks now, when he was the one who played it down and said we’ve got it under control and it won’t be bad here, we’ve got an antidote being ready in 2 weeks 6 weeks ago. 
If he gets voted in for a second term when it’s safe to happen, I think it will be time to give up on the electoral system as it is now. 

On 04/04/2020 at 23:57, markjazzbassist said:

My state Ohio canceled our primary and is doing only mail in ballots.  This greatly favors conservatives As poor folks aren’t paying postage and going online to Print off a ballot (need access to internet, need printer, need post stamps).  All those work against the poor and middle class especially in the depression we are about to be in.  If the general election is the same way I think he will win no problem. 

For an election by postal ballot would they not just send a ballot to everyone registered on the electoral roll with a reply paid envelope?

I don't think you could have people printing out their own ballots, way too easily rorted. Is that what's happening in your primary?

5 hours ago, Chach said:

For an election by postal ballot would they not just send a ballot to everyone registered on the electoral roll with a reply paid envelope?

I don't think you could have people printing out their own ballots, way too easily rorted. Is that what's happening in your primary?

Tons of people have moved or weren’t registered to vote, they are allowed to show up and do a provisional ballot.  That won’t be the case now.  It’s discriminating against those not on the rolls or those just turning of age without internet, etc.

for my state you mail in a form you have to print out, once you do they send you a ballot.  Not a big deal for president since it’s confirmed trump and Biden now, but we have local issues we are voting for that are gonna get an uneven response.  Higher taxes for increased money to go to schools and the disabled.  Both usually pass but with the way it is now, we’ll see.  I hope they do.

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Tons of people have moved or weren’t registered to vote, they are allowed to show up and do a provisional ballot.  That won’t be the case now.  It’s discriminating against those not on the rolls or those just turning of age without internet, etc.

for my state you mail in a form you have to print out, once you do they send you a ballot.  Not a big deal for president since it’s confirmed trump and Biden now, but we have local issues we are voting for that are gonna get an uneven response.  Higher taxes for increased money to go to schools and the disabled.  Both usually pass but with the way it is now, we’ll see.  I hope they do.

I see from his Twitter post Trump is against having a mail in ballot, wonder if that based on any modelling he's seen or just standard Trump conspiracy peddling,

8 hours ago, Chach said:

I see from his Twitter post Trump is against having a mail in ballot, wonder if that based on any modelling he's seen or just standard Trump conspiracy peddling,

And a hypocritical argument from him: 

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/04/08/trump-condemns-vote-by-mail-but-the-florida-gop-is-counting-on-it-to-win-1274007

But Trump, a Palm Beach County voter who himself mailed his vote in Florida’s March 17 presidential primary, this week condemned mail-in ballots as riddled with fraud.