IGNORED

Trump/US Politics

johnh

40 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So what about Trump makes you want to cast a vote for him?

If I were American: better economy, better immigration policy, less gender ideology, just to name a few.

As a non-American, if Trump was a president, the Russian invasion in Ukraine would never have happened. Hopefully the war will end as soon as he gets in office, which is good for the global peace. The democrats have no desire to negotiate with Russia.

18 minutes ago, Haiku said:

If I were American: better economy, better immigration policy, less gender ideology, just to name a few.

As a non-American, if Trump was a president, the Russian invasion in Ukraine would never have happened. Hopefully the war will end as soon as he gets in office, which is good for the global peace. The democrats have no desire to negotiate with Russia.

So for you, a person's character doesn't matter when it comes to picking a leader of a country. Because what I always say to people who support Trump: if Biden/Clinton/Obama/Harris had said or done all of the things that Trump has...your head would be exploding with rage.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

What's the problem with diversity, equity and inclusion? Sounds like three perfectly laudible aims to me.

And in what respect is Harris "incompetent"?

As goals they're absolutely the right things to strive for. Doing it with quotas and deliberately putting less capable people in positions in the name of equality is causing a lot of division. It's being forced rather than taught and naturally some people get exceptionally defensive when change is forced on them. 

The goals are not the problem, the implementation of them seems to be for some and not always without good reason.

3 hours ago, Haiku said:

Better, better and less? Could you be any less specific?:huh:

There's no "negotiation" to be had with Russia; they won't give up land that they've illegally occupied, and that's the only way it ends for Ukraine. 

Can you explain how he'd stop it?

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

Would that be the same economy that basically cratered after covid hit? And let's not forget how much the manufacturing sector was hurt by the tariffs he imposed. 

Immigration has been an issue in the U.S. for decades, not just in the last 8 years. There are State of the Union speeches from Clinton's time in office where he discusses it. Of course, certain people also seem to forget how the 9/11 terrorists entered the U.S.. 

By gender idelogy, I'm guessing you mean LGBTQIA+ but are just wanting to use a euphemism for it. Curious how so many people have an issue with this, especially transgender people, but have likely never met or interacted with a transgender person in their life. 

If you honestly think that the Russian invasion of Ukraine wouldn't have happened if Trump were in office, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you. The only reason Putin didn't do it sooner is because Xi didn't want to have it distracting from China hosting the Winter Olympics around that time. If Trump were in office, it would be the equivalent of Chamberlain trying to use appeasement in the lead up to World War II. 

6 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Would that be the same economy that basically cratered after covid hit? And let's not forget how much the manufacturing sector was hurt by the tariffs he imposed. 

Immigration has been an issue in the U.S. for decades, not just in the last 8 years. There are State of the Union speeches from Clinton's time in office where he discusses it. Of course, certain people also seem to forget how the 9/11 terrorists entered the U.S.. 

By gender idelogy, I'm guessing you mean LGBTQIA+ but are just wanting to use a euphemism for it. Curious how so many people have an issue with this, especially transgender people, but have likely never met or interacted with a transgender person in their life. 

If you honestly think that the Russian invasion of Ukraine wouldn't have happened if Trump were in office, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you. The only reason Putin didn't do it sooner is because Xi didn't want to have it distracting from China hosting the Winter Olympics around that time. If Trump were in office, it would be the equivalent of Chamberlain trying to use appeasement in the lead up to World War II. 

One of the big reasons for inflation is the cash dished out to tax-payers first by Trump and then by Biden after the impact of COVID on the economy. I understand why they did it, but inflation was guaranteed as a result. The miracle is that the current administration has tackled inflation (not yet completely) without the economy faltering. Economists felt that was almost impossible, but it's been done. If stiff tariffs were to be imposed on imports, inflation would once again take off.

The worst aspect of anti-immigrant sentiment right now is how extreme conservatives depict them as less than human. Remember the divisions and then genocide in Rwanda? The Hutus and Tutsis started depicting each other as less than human (cockroaches was the preferred term at the time). It's fine to be against tougher immigration policy, but let's never refer to anyone as being less than human.

You're absolutely right: The only way to break down divisions in society is to make the effort to meet and understand those different from ourselves. Personally, I have three good friends, and a customer, who are transgender.

If Trump had been in office when Russia invaded Ukraine, Russia would be occupying both Ukraine and Moldova by now. Remember that Trump still has it in for Zelensky for giving the game away when he was seeking dirt on Biden's son. Appeasement to Russia is the Republican policy that worries me the most. Now is not a time for isolationism.

13 hours ago, Haiku said:

No two people are equal. Everyone is different. Diversity and inclusion are often used as an excuse to hire people with lesser professional skills based on skin color and gender. By democratic standards, diversity means fewer white males, nothing else. This is straightforward racism and sexism against a specific group of people. If they were truly interested in inclusion and diversity, the NBA wouldn't consist of 75% black players. There are barely any Asians playing in the NBA, where's the inclusivity there? The simple answer is that the average black male is physically superior to the average male of any other race. That's a fact. Hiring people for the sake of diversity and not merit is blatant racism and sexism. I don't want to go into detail about the incompetence of Harris. My opinion is based on what I've seen and heard from her. When she speaks, it's a word salad. She's been caught lying many times, including pretending to be black and lying about simple things like claiming she smoked pot and listened to 2Pac and Snoop Dogg when she was in college in the '80s. That's just not very bright of her. I hope she finally gets unburdened by her past, but if I were American, my vote would go to Trump.

Also, how did I miss this before? Her father is Black. She is Black.

31 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I would love for him to respond so she could slaughter him again. 

He looks sinister to me, really dark eyes and obviously faked emotional responses...would make a good Bond villain, but a seriously scary VP.

North Carolina Roy Cooper has dropped out of VP pick consideration for Harris. But the reason for it is a bit odd. If Cooper leaves the state to campaign for Harris, then the lieutenant governor (who is a diehard MAGA republican) becomes acting governor (and yes, North Carolina has the governor and lieutenant governor elected separately) and would do some absolutely horrendous stuff if Cooper was outside the state for any reason. 

13 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

And this is the sort of stuff his base will eat up.

I cannot wait to see her tear him apart in a debate.

Never going to happen for the sole fact that he doesn't debate, he says what he wants and ignores the rest. He's a living martyr in his fanbases eyes, he can't lose because of his behaviour.

On 01/08/2024 at 13:10, MikeO said:

Astonishing stuff from Trump at the Black Journalists' convention; I thought it must be a spoof with a look-alike to start with, crazy shit.

And what’s even more scary is that he will probably be voted in as president, and if he is what does that say about the majority of USA citizens, for me they should be feared more than Trump himself.  

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

And what’s even more scary is that he will probably be voted in as president, and if he is what does that say about the majority of USA citizens, for me they should be feared more than Trump himself.  

It doesn't actually say anything about the majority of US citizens as he can win without the majority voting for him as I understand it.

Our American members can correct me if I'm wrong.

43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It doesn't actually say anything about the majority of US citizens as he can win without the majority voting for him as I understand it.

Maybe but it will still be a high percentage, I get people vote for parties rather than personalities but when you have a toxic personality like Trump and you don’t want to vote for a democrat then do the honourable thing and don’t vote, because the alternative isn’t justifiable. 

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He needs the EC, don't need the majority of the votes. 

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Matt already touched on it but yeah, he only has to win the electoral college to win the presidency. Trump did not win the popular vote in either 2016 or 2020. To win the election, a candidate needs to get 270 electoral votes out of the 538 electors (based on 435 representatives, 100 senators, and 3 electors from Washington DC). Larger population states like California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania have higher numbers of electors while smaller population states like Alaska, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming (in addition to Washington DC), only have 3 electors each. There have been efforts to either reform or abolish the electoral college over the years but the closest it ever came to being done away with was in the late 1960s. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Not heard of him...good choice?

Pennsylvania governor Josh Shapiro was probably the better choice but his being Jewish was gonna be a hindrance, especially with progressive Democratic voters in swing states like Michigan. 

I think Walz will help in getting Harris more of the blue collar midwestern voters that she was going to have an issue attracting. 

2 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Pennsylvania governor Josh Shapiro was probably the better choice but his being Jewish was gonna be a hindrance, especially with progressive Democratic voters in swing states like Michigan. 

I think Walz will help in getting Harris more of the blue collar midwestern voters that she was going to have an issue attracting. 

I have heard that she is now overtaken or close to overtaking Trump in the polls, is this how the American polls and media see it, or is Trump still in the driving seat. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I have heard that she is now overtaken or close to overtaking Trump in the polls, is this how the American polls and media see it, or is Trump still in the driving seat. 

It's Trumps to lose but it'll be a big feather in her cap globally if she can save the democrats 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

It's Trumps to lose but it'll be a big feather in her cap globally if she can save the democrats 

^This. Trump is still the favorite at the moment, especially with how he is currently polling in the swing states. It's honestly been entertaining how much him and Republicans have freaked out about Kamala being the candidate now. 

14 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Harris has picked Minnesota governor Tim Walz as her running mate. 

That's our guy! Everyone here is buzzing about it.

I have been in and out of living in NYC for the last 5 years or so, so I haven't been as in-tune with Minnesota politics as usual (except for Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey who is a total ass-hat), but I've only heard good things about Walz. He's a veteran, was a public school teacher, really down to earth. He'll definitely bring in more of the Midwestern vote, which could be important in key swing states like Michigan and Wisconsin.

Walz gave a great first speech. He seems like a smart guy, but grounded and he’s funny too. 
Im looking forward to the debates. I hope they happen and hope they aren’t biased by whichever channels get to host.