IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's done a good job but he's also part of the present and I can see why people may potentially link the past into the future in both good ways but also potentially negative ways. All depends on whether he can flip his approach, it'll come down to the interview rather than a transition period I assume. 

I actually like Thelwell. He's made mistakes but he he's been working under very fucked up circumstances.

I just think a clean sweep is needed in the areas that play a role in what happens on the pitch

I would like Colin Chong to have a role on the new board though, I think he deserves it.

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I actually like Thelwell. He's made mistakes but he he's been working under very fucked up circumstances.

I just think a clean sweep is needed in the areas that play a role in what happens on the pitch

I would like Colin Chong to have a role on the new board though, I think he deserves it.

Can't use circumstances as an excuse :shakingfist:

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I agree about Thelwell. I think he was quite serious about Gyökeres as well the summer they first tried to sign N'Diaye. Last season might have looked very different had he succeeded at signing him instead of Beto.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I’d like to see Thelwell given a chance with some money and to try a build a more positive side.

Everything starts from the top, hopefully under the new owners we can correct the mess we have become asap.

I'll potentially be happy enough to give thelwell his chance - but it will be up to Friedkin. 

I'm guessing Friedkin will essentially go in with a "ok... shoe me your manager pipeline - who is high on the list and what player targets do you have"

if it is met with a "well I haven't really looked at the manager market cos Sean has been working under tough circumstances". - then he will likely be told "ok... thanks for your time here but we will not require your services anymore if you think the results have not warranted looking at next managers" 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He's done a good job but he's also part of the present and I can see why people may potentially link the past into the future in both good ways but also potentially negative ways. All depends on whether he can flip his approach, it'll come down to the interview rather than a transition period I assume. 

Didn't read this but yep - Friedkin ain't gonna be walking in the door ready to sign off on players and new coaching team to a DOF who hasn't spent the last year looking at pipeline/succession planning. 

if I was thelwell I would be seriously putting in the hours to create a presentation as to how the club moves forward. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Fair play you are the epitome of "let's get behind the team" -  they will be very motivated by your comments when Sean reads out his selection of fan social media posts. 

Thank you for finally recognising my unwavering faith on our famous club. 
And the faith that Dyche would put in my wise words.

22 minutes ago, StevO said:

Still not many clubs coming after many of our players. Because those players are a bit crap.

Also, the market has changed a fair bit. Most clubs want to spend on promising youth with a resale value. We have seen ourselves, that other than loans out, its very hard to shift deadwood.  I also think its quite hard for clubs to sell players 'cheap' just to get them oved on becasue it has such a negative effect in the PSR books for that given financial year. Sometime a seasons books look better with just the annual right off of a players value - better to swallow a steady annual devaluation on the books, that lose a load an a player in a single hit when selling him. The negative side of annual amortisisation of a player.    

I get that thelwell is part of the present, since he objectively has been a part of the squad. But to me his hiring was the moment that we started digging ourselves out of the rotten hole Moshiri left behind. In fairness, the fact that we’ve been able to somewhat dog our way out of it has as much to do with Moshiri not having the means to interfere anymore as it does with anything else, but I still think thelwell has executed well enough to get another crack at it with normal resources at his disposal. 

44 minutes ago, StevO said:

Who? I've not seen them on here or Twitter. Dont do any other social media. Not heard them at the match either.

You not heard people say "under the circumstances he's doing a good job"......  I must have dreamed it 

On 13/05/2024 at 20:19, StevO said:

He was defended when results were poor, and praised when results were good, for exactly the same reason. He’s running a football club that is a shit show from top to bottom. Most of us understand he’s got a really tough job at the club, so give breathing space when we aren’t winning and are surprised and excited when we win games.
It’s not double standards, it’s accepting the reality of the situation. We are a club without and owner or a board. A lot of us think he is doing a good job in extremely difficult circumstances. 

What I will say is, and I think everyone else who has a similar view of this season would agree, if the club was stable and we went months without a win then many of us would want him sacked. But we aren’t stable. We’re a mess and we desperately need some level of consistency at the club. That’s on Dyche and Thelwell to implement as there is no one else at the club in a senior permanent position. 

One of many similar shouts.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Still not many clubs coming after many of our players. Because those players are a bit crap.

If you think that, then that's all right. But you first said "the last few years". Just pointing that out.

We're not looking for a total sell-out, are we, Steve? What I mean is that I like when a club like us keep certain players for having a backbone in our squad. Shifting out here and there can hurt even though you on paper get better players in. It's a puzzle and takes good scouting to get players to fill in those holes there always will be.

You'd love to have me playing on the team as left midfielder. I'm cheap, too old, slightly overweight and love beer. Oh boy ... there used to be a time ...

1 hour ago, Sev said:

If you think that, then that's all right. But you first said "the last few years". Just pointing that out.

We're not looking for a total sell-out, are we, Steve? What I mean is that I like when a club like us keep certain players for having a backbone in our squad. Shifting out here and there can hurt even though you on paper get better players in. It's a puzzle and takes good scouting to get players to fill in those holes there always will be.

You'd love to have me playing on the team as left midfielder. I'm cheap, too old, slightly overweight and love beer. Oh boy ... there used to be a time ...

Even over the last few years, the odd decent player has left, and replaced with worse. Its been going on a long time.

The only players i'd be interested in keeping are Pickford, Branthwaite, Tarky, O'Brien, Tim Howduspellisname, Garner, Ndaiye, DCL. 

I think i'd pick you over most of the squad to be honest Sev. I'm happy to play behind you, did a good job at left back last night and scored a screamer. Me and you could do a better job than Myko and McNeil. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

Even over the last few years, the odd decent player has left, and replaced with worse. Its been going on a long time.

The only players i'd be interested in keeping are Pickford, Branthwaite, Tarky, O'Brien, Tim Howduspellisname, Garner, Ndaiye, DCL. 

I think i'd pick you over most of the squad to be honest Sev. I'm happy to play behind you, did a good job at left back last night and scored a screamer. Me and you could do a better job than Myko and McNeil. 

Good players to keep if possible. Let's keep Young so we have a scapegoat 😆

Nothing like having a good left back when you play left midfield or winger. And grats with the screamer :celebrate:

32 minutes ago, StevO said:

We have 13 players with expiring contracts including loans. The only player that we will absolutely try and keep is DCL. 

Then there are four players I think that we would potentially keep:

Lindstrøm (depending on performance and whether Napoli would entertain a transfer)

Mangala (same as Lindstrøm but with Lyon)

Broja (evaluate whether he's worth 30m once he returns and possibly dependent on DCL resolution)

Joao Virginia (he's on 7,500 a week. I guess that's maybe fine for GK depth? I have no idea)

Then I'd imagine we let these players go:

Doucoure - 130k per week

Harrison - 90k

Gana - 80k

Keane - 80k

Coleman - 55k

Maupay - 50k

Young - 40k

Begovic - 30k

28 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

We have 13 players with expiring contracts including loans. The only player that we will absolutely try and keep is DCL. 

Then there are four players I think that we would potentially keep:

Lindstrøm (depending on performance and whether Napoli would entertain a transfer)

Mangala (same as Lindstrøm but with Lyon)

Broja (evaluate whether he's worth 30m once he returns and possibly dependent on DCL resolution)

Joao Virginia (he's on 7,500 a week. I guess that's maybe fine for GK depth? I have no idea)

Then I'd imagine we let these players go:

Doucoure - 130k per week

Harrison - 90k

Gana - 80k

Keane - 80k

Coleman - 55k

Maupay - 50k

Young - 40k

Begovic - 30k

What a potential clear out of this mangnitude does allow is any new manager an oppertunity to bring in players to suite the football he wants to play. There will not be much 'deadwood' on silly wages about the place (that couldn't be sold on), or at least as much as we have had in the past. 

Its probabley a very good time for wholesale changes as squad is now ripe for a rebuild.   

17 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

What a potential clear out of this mangnitude does allow is any new manager an oppertunity to bring in players to suite the football he wants to play. There will not be much 'deadwood' on silly wages about the place (that couldn't be sold on), or at least as much as we have had in the past. 

Its probabley a very good time for wholesale changes as squad is now ripe for a rebuild.   

Yep after looking at that I agree. As I've said, I'd support Thelwell moving forward but would expect ownership to undergo a thorough evaluation of all of his moves and his approach to the role.

There are very few players that are on longer term contracts who aren't worth their wages. Of the players that I would say are not absolutely keepers, here are their wage bills:

Beto - 50k

Chermiti - 30k (I'd imagine we'll keep him but we'll see how he progresses)

Patterson - 28k (ditto)

Mcneil - 25k (I can't imagine we'll let him go if he's willing to remain at that level though I also highly doubt he would be)

Iroegbunam - 20k (same as Chermiti and Patterson)

All of the others are worthy of being a part of our long term plans. This is really a turning point for the club - new ownership, most of the interest payments going away, new stadium, and the vast majority of our wage overpays are disappearing. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Who? I've not seen them on here or Twitter. Dont do any other social media. Not heard them at the match either.

To be fair Steve there has been on many occasions people using the under the circumstances to defend his not at all good record. 
Or the no one could do better than him under the circumstance's is another one used, so under the circumstances I thought I would mention it if just to give some clarity under the circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

To be fair Steve there has been on many occasions people using the under the circumstances to defend his not at all good record. 
Or the no one could do better than him under the circumstance's is another one used, so under the circumstances I thought I would mention it if just to give some clarity under the circumstances. 

Maybe last season, and I believe it was valid, I don’t think we’ve seen much defence of him this season. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

5 games ago Steve.... surely you ain't that fickle? 

No, not just five games ago, a different season. I believe he did a good job last season, I don’t believe he’s doing as good a job this season. 

It’s not a case of fickle.

Last season there was a lot being defensive of him, I don’t see people being defensive of him now. 

But it doesn’t matter, he’s your current target and you’ll bang the drum until he’s gone and then it’ll be someone else. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Maybe last season, and I believe it was valid, I don’t think we’ve seen much defence of him this season. 

Granted maybe not this season, but to try and defend the indefensible is pretty darn difficult even if you do wear rose tinted glasses. 
Last season for me showed exactly the same as this season with decisions and approach a long with some of the worst runs of results in our history, only difference last season was that most people wanted to solely put our poor performances completely at the door of the PL because of the FFP debacle, which allowed the poor management of the team to somehow go unnoticed.  For me Dyche didn’t save us from the decisions of the PL FFP rules, it was quite the opposite they saved Dyche, and now people haven’t got the PL to focus on they can focus more on the manager and what’s happening on the pitch and actually see how poor he is this season, which is a carbon copy of last season but without the shit too mask his inabilities. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Granted maybe not this season, but to try and defend the indefensible is pretty darn difficult even if you do wear rose tinted glasses. 
Last season for me showed exactly the same as this season with decisions and approach a long with some of the worst runs of results in our history, only difference last season was that most people wanted to solely put our poor performances completely at the door of the PL because of the FFP debacle, which allowed the poor management of the team to somehow go unnoticed.  For me Dyche didn’t save us from the decisions of the PL FFP rules, it was quite the opposite they saved Dyche, and now people haven’t got the PL to focus on they can focus more on the manager and what’s happening on the pitch and actually see how poor he is this season, which is a carbon copy of last season but without the shit too mask his inabilities. 

I disagree, and I’m just too tired to talk about it.
I’d take a carbon copy of last seasons results though, if it left us 12th, with about 50 points (I think) and a derby win. 

10 hours ago, StevO said:

No, not just five games ago, a different season. I believe he did a good job last season, I don’t believe he’s doing as good a job this season. 

It’s not a case of fickle.

Last season there was a lot being defensive of him, I don’t see people being defensive of him now. 

But it doesn’t matter, he’s your current target and you’ll bang the drum until he’s gone and then it’ll be someone else. 

Current target?  Lol - let's be objective here...... you ain't seen us win leagues mate, you ain't seen us be considered one of the best if not the best team in Europe. Therefore you could be forgiven for not being spoilt and having standards. 

If these standards mean my "targets" are people who either don't perform or behave in a manner that I believe is the standard for what John Moores had for us then tough, get over it. 

When you have seen the club operate at a certain level it's quite difficult to listen to people who pick up £5m a year tell us that we are somehow meant to accept "realities" whilst he spouts political guff, gaslights and misleads fans cos he somehow likes to project the image that he's doing us a favour. 

his record is awful, his tactics are awful, the players aren't fit, he can't make subs.  

Typical Everton sentimental nonsense where the appalling run of near 5 months without a win was forgotten cos of one weeks games where players got things off their chests after him slapping a young lad in a restaurant.  Hasn't taken him long to take pot shots at players after awful subs cost us games. 

he's not a target - just one of many in the list of "not good enough" that people can't see and try and argue as to why they are despite facts showing otherwise.  My loyalty is to Everton - not to the people who get richly rewarded for the job they do. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I disagree, and I’m just too tired to talk about it.
I’d take a carbon copy of last seasons results though, if it left us 12th, with about 50 points (I think) and a derby win. 

Maybe you will need to ask the EPL to hit us with a points fine then..... the weeks that followed drive the fans to lift the players to levels that the manager clearly can't.