IGNORED

Amadou Onana

14 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I didn't watch the game, but on a couple of player ratings websites Onana was Belgium's highest rated player being 7/10 on both sites. It said he was generally winning his battles against a dogged Slovakia midfeild.

the ultimate meh player.  He looks like he "thinks" he's controlling the game - so underwhelming.  At his age, physicality, athleticism he should dominate games.  Don't rate him at all.

"but but but he would look really good with great players around him" - hear that from so many people.  Nonsense - most players look better with good players around them when all they want to do is make sideways passes.  Like a 6ft4 Joe "look at my pass stats" Allen

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

the ultimate meh player.  He looks like he "thinks" he's controlling the game - so underwhelming.  At his age, physicality, athleticism he should dominate games.  Don't rate him at all.

"but but but he would look really good with great players around him" - hear that from so many people.  Nonsense - most players look better with good players around them when all they want to do is make sideways passes.  Like a 6ft4 Joe "look at my pass stats" Allen

It's like he's been told he reminds people of Viera and plays as if he already has the experience and quality without actually having either. Yet. 

Seems like a really good kid and he really should have the world at his feet, even now. But I've said it before, there's not 1 thing he does better since his arrival and I don't see that dramatically improving unless he can coast more in a better team and give him the time to think.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

don't disagree, I am not his biggest fan either and will gladly see him sold for a modest profit. 

But what would help us at the moment is for others to be impressed by his performances at the Euros - If he can pull the wool over others eyes for 3 or so games on the world stage then great as hopefully means £5M more on what another club might pay for him.

Its much better for us if he has good, or fingers crossed, great games rather than stinkers in this tournament. Shame his assist didn't stand last night. 

9 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

don't disagree, I am not his biggest fan either and will gladly see him sold for a modest profit. 

But what would help us at the moment is for others to be impressed by his performances at the Euros - If he can pull the wool over others eyes for 3 or so games on the world stage then great as hopefully means £5M more on what another club might pay for him.

Its much better for us if he has good, or fingers crossed, great games rather than stinkers in this tournament. Shame his assist didn't stand last night. 

I think the scouts are so convinced by his athleticism and size that they believe he is a must buy player. Don't think euros will make a difference. There will be a few top clubs who want him to play the 6 role.  I actually think if someone got a grip of him he would be a very good 8.  Problem is he can't shoot and needs work. 

To be fair, most think that his performance has added another £5m to his price as he had a good game.

I look at him a lot differently than most on here, that’s for certain. I see a young player that already looks like an established premier league footballer. 
Coaches look like they are trying to get him to replace the Gana role, but with a more defensive style. 

What does stick in peoples minds, is moments like the penalty kick. And this is his downfall. This could be due to him being a young player. 
John Stones did it and scored. 
History is written by the victors.

His ability is easily good enough for us for me. His arrogance is a thin line away from confidence. All premier league players believe they are the best in the world haha.

Andy Cole was asked about coaching on a recent stadium tour. His reply was “never, why would I coach a load of players that think they are better than me, but will never reach my level”.

The lad needs another year in the premier league and he could… could, become a top top player.

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be fair, most think that his performance has added another £5m to his price as he had a good game.

I look at him a lot differently than most on here, that’s for certain. I see a young player that already looks like an established premier league footballer. 
Coaches look like they are trying to get him to replace the Gana role, but with a more defensive style. 

What does stick in peoples minds, is moments like the penalty kick. And this is his downfall. This could be due to him being a young player. 

His ability is easily good enough for us for me. His arrogance is a thin line away from confidence. All premier league players believe they are the best in the world haha.

Andy Cole was asked about coaching on a recent stadium tour. His reply was “never, why would I coach a load of players that think they are better than me, but will never reach my level”.

The lad needs another year in the premier league and he could… could, become a top top player.

the penalty? - that was a snippet to his mindset. John stones did his in a pre season friendly - not to earn a place in the semi final of a trophy that had evaded us. No comparison. 

For me the most damning insight was that he was dragged off vs Newcastle and threw a tantrum and we improved as a result. The next game against Chelsea he was a disgrace - got hammered and as a result of the fall out and clear the air talks at finch farm he was dropped......... we beat forest, Liverpool and Brentford with him being dropped. Disgrace - we would have lost those games with him imo 

Established premier league footballer? Nah.... get him out the club asap. He will be a frustration for many a coach. 

16 minutes ago, Shukes said:

You're loaded, mate. You buy him 😉

This lad is in a no-win situation really (much of his own making I might add)....he could have a stellar tournament and his critics will say "see, why couldn't he play like that for us...obviously can't be arsed to play for us"

If he has a shit tournament his critics will say "see, he can't even perform alongside talent like KVB"

Personally, I am on the fence, probably blinkered a little because I think there is a footballer in there...he has many of the physical tools, still has work to on refining his skills (passing, shooting) but the attitude side has to improve immediately.

6 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I didn't watch the game, but on a couple of player ratings websites Onana was Belgium's highest rated player being 7/10 on both sites. It said he was generally winning his battles against a dogged Slovakia midfeild.

Yea I thought he looked solid. He frequently doesn't jump out at you on the pitch, just holds down the midfield well and helps regain and maintain possession.

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

the penalty? - that was a snippet to his mindset. John stones did his in a pre season friendly - not to earn a place in the semi final of a trophy that had evaded us. No comparison. 

For me the most damning insight was that he was dragged off vs Newcastle and threw a tantrum and we improved as a result. The next game against Chelsea he was a disgrace - got hammered and as a result of the fall out and clear the air talks at finch farm he was dropped......... we beat forest, Liverpool and Brentford with him being dropped. Disgrace - we would have lost those games with him imo 

Established premier league footballer? Nah.... get him out the club asap. He will be a frustration for many a coach. 

He is an established premier league footballer, that can’t be denied. 
You may think he isn’t worth that tag… but that’s simply your opinion Haf. 

The penalty 100% sticks in people’s minds, not sure why you questioned that. You yourself have mentioned it several times. 

Jon stones was in a friendly yes, but many many players have tried and succeeded and failed in tournaments. My point was, it’s a fine line between success and failure.

I said “like” the penalty as I was encompassing a few immature moments. And that’s what I class them as. Immature moments. 
Not all of us had a senior head on us at that age like you Haf. I know I didn’t at all haha.

He divides opinions for sure. But he is a good footballer and will go elsewhere and be successful. And you can save this and quote me on it, because I’m sure I will end up right. 

And as you know…. I’m always right 😉

8 hours ago, Sev said:

You're loaded, mate. You buy him 😉

Put an offer in for him…. But price went up due to his last match and I dont think he’s worth that!

Seems you don’t get much for a kebab and four cans of Stella these days.

50 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He is an established premier league footballer, that can’t be denied. 
You may think he isn’t worth that tag… but that’s simply your opinion Haf. 

The penalty 100% sticks in people’s minds, not sure why you questioned that. You yourself have mentioned it several times. 

Jon stones was in a friendly yes, but many many players have tried and succeeded and failed in tournaments. My point was, it’s a fine line between success and failure.

I said “like” the penalty as I was encompassing a few immature moments. And that’s what I class them as. Immature moments. 
Not all of us had a senior head on us at that age like you Haf. I know I didn’t at all haha.

He divides opinions for sure. But he is a good footballer and will go elsewhere and be successful. And you can save this and quote me on it, because I’m sure I will end up right. 

And as you know…. I’m always right 😉

established? Can't call him established when he can't hold down a spot in a weak side mate.  

I said it was a snippet to his mindset... but yes it will stay long in our memories. 

you are judging him on the player he should become - we all know what he should be - a 6ft 4 athlete who can run, jump, tackle....... most of us see the problem and its attitude and mindset 

50 minutes ago, Gwlad said:

In Thelwell we trust but was it a mistake to sign Onana?

A gamble that hasn't quite worked out. Won't hold anything against him, never really had a connection either way. 

17 hours ago, Hafnia said:

established? Can't call him established when he can't hold down a spot in a weak side mate.  

I said it was a snippet to his mindset... but yes it will stay long in our memories. 

you are judging him on the player he should become - we all know what he should be - a 6ft 4 athlete who can run, jump, tackle....... most of us see the problem and its attitude and mindset 

I’m not mate. I’m judging him on what he is like right now.

I agree his attitude isn’t quite there at the moment. But neither is Branthwaite for example. It didn’t go unnoticed to many people on here that careless mistakes were creeping in to his play, and that his swagger was getring the better of him.  But he’s young and needs to be given time also. 

Im not saying he will achieve his potential here, but I am saying I don’t think I would want him leaving unless he either wanted to go, or we had to sell him. 
I also think I he would prosper elsewhere.

It if your right and most of us see him the same way you do… we won’t have to worry as no club will want him anyway.

Put it this way, if Palfy starts to rate him…. Then we need to sell as he will be useless.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I’m not mate. I’m judging him on what he is like right now.

I agree his attitude isn’t quite there at the moment. But neither is Branthwaite for example. It didn’t go unnoticed to many people on here that careless mistakes were creeping in to his play, and that his swagger was getring the better of him.  But he’s young and needs to be given time also. 

Im not saying he will achieve his potential here, but I am saying I don’t think I would want him leaving unless he either wanted to go, or we had to sell him. 
I also think I he would prosper elsewhere.

It if your right and most of us see him the same way you do… we won’t have to worry as no club will want him anyway.

Put it this way, if Palfy starts to rate him…. Then we need to sell as he will be useless.

:huh: Not remotely comparable mate, and when Branthwaite did make a mistake, he didn't laugh things off.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

:huh: Not remotely comparable mate, and when Branthwaite did make a mistake, he didn't laugh things off.

No you’re right, bad comparison. I was more just pointing out they make mistakes at that age, while agreeing that Onana does have attitude adjustment needs.

Im not disputing his attitude at all. Just saying I see it with 90% players at his age, and not writing him off due to it.

12 minutes ago, Shukes said:

No you’re right, bad comparison. I was more just pointing out they make mistakes at that age, while agreeing that Onana does have attitude adjustment needs.

Im not disputing his attitude at all. Just saying I see it with 90% players at his age, and not writing him off due to it.

I've not got any issue with Onana's attitude even, it's his inconsistency. I honestly don't know him.

I don’t understand most people’s issues with Onana. He’s absolutely inconsistent. I guess he seems too arrogant? But he’s a quality central midfielder in the premier league at 22. The list of 22 year old central midfielders who were genuine contributors in the premier league is slim. Hell he’s not that far off of where Declan rice was at 22. 

When you buy young players, you have to deal with inconsistency.

On 18/06/2024 at 09:43, Hafnia said:

Poor old Joe Allen 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

I’ve only seen Branthwaite have one bad game which is allowed I’ve seen Tarks have a few and he’s over 30 but he’s still very good. 
Branthwaite is brilliant 

3 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

I don’t understand most people’s issues with Onana. He’s absolutely inconsistent. I guess he seems too arrogant? But he’s a quality central midfielder in the premier league at 22. The list of 22 year old central midfielders who were genuine contributors in the premier league is slim. Hell he’s not that far off of where Declan rice was at 22. 

When you buy young players, you have to deal with inconsistency.

I'd agree with most of that except I still think he's only a potentially quality midfielder. Look at the difference between Branthwaite and Onana; 1 came in and made the position his to lose within the first half of his first season, Onana has had 2 seasons being a starter because of his potential and transfer fee but hasn't kicked on at all and lost his place.