IGNORED

Amadou Onana

34 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Frightening how good that other Belgian could have been then… his country’s greatest ever goal scorer, multiple cup/titles, worldwide recognition and Ballon d’or nominations - not many can boast that kind of career - certainly not many who have played for us in the Premier League era.

The other Belgian could have been very very good but thought he was the finished article when the likes of Harry Kane was learning how to use his weaker foot, head the ball better and how to play as a link up player. 

lets be honest being the countries best goalscorer isn't a true indication of how he played for Belgium -  he had the best ever players Belgium have ever produced behind him. Only 1 other player has scored more than 30 goals. Historically Belgium have been a poor side. 

You've lost me on the multiple cups and titles - think he won the league with inter and that's about it from a major trophy perspective.  My memory of him in big cup games is choking and doing mad stuff like deflecting teammates goal bound shots wide. 

For what he had I consider Lukaku a waste in the same way Adriano, Balotelli was. Not as technically gifted but on physicality, athleticism and finishing he should have been a player who didn't flop at United and Chelsea (twice). 

21 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

lets be honest being the countries best goalscorer isn't a true indication of how he played for Belgium -  he had the best ever players Belgium have ever produced behind him. Only 1 other player has scored more than 30 goals. Historically Belgium have been a poor side. 

He’s rightfully regarded as one of those best ever players Belgium have produced - he’s their greatest ever goalscorer - fair play to him. He’s had a career that very few will get close to.

12 minutes ago, c1982 said:

He’s rightfully regarded as one of those best ever players Belgium have produced - he’s their greatest ever goalscorer - fair play to him. He’s had a career that very few will get close to.

Very few will get close to? Loads have surpassed.....   Mate he's won one major trophy and a cup and played for Chelsea twice, man united, inter, Roma over a period of over 10 years.   5 finals he's played in and bottled. He leaves teams and they go on to win things. 

what he should have done is won the lot - he should have worked on his game.  Incredible tools to be one of the best if he actually worked on his game.  Never known a player to be caught offside needlessly so often... his touch and hold up play poor. 

yeah compare him to average players and his accomplishments look ok, but that makes him above average when he should have been so much more. He left Everton aged 24 and never improved. 

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Very few will get close to? Loads have surpassed.....   Mate he's won one major trophy and a cup and played for Chelsea twice, man united, inter, Roma over a period of over 10 years.   5 finals he's played in and bottled. He leaves teams and they go on to win things. 

what he should have done is won the lot - he should have worked on his game.  Incredible tools to be one of the best if he actually worked on his game.  Never known a player to be caught offside needlessly so often... his touch and hold up play poor. 

yeah compare him to average players and his accomplishments look ok, but that makes him above average when he should have been so much more. He left Everton aged 24 and never improved. 

Not for Belgium they haven't and likely won't. He's been their Kane for years, he has succeeded in his career. He should've been so much more but what he achieved is still better than most. You already lost a £100 on Lukaku, can't you just let it rest? He's not been our player for years :lol:

But to the comparison, I get it. Big powerful lad with all the attributes but missing the brain. Whilst Lukaku had a poorer touch than most, Onana's Achilles heel is his balance as it seems he couldn't stay on his feet. 

Nice lad, I genuinely think he tried here and enjoyed being here. Just a shame it didn't translate to progress on the pitch. 

Good luck to him except against us. Now let's all rub our hands on who we will waste the transfer fee on. Onwards and upwards!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be honest when Onana first started I thought "fuck me, this is a player that'll be at Real Madrid in 18 months" and then he turned out to be very hot and cold. 

No surprise that he's doing well at Villa, proof in the pudding will be around February/March although I will say I wish him no harm, won't be sad one bit to see him do well - seemed a nice lad.