IGNORED

Armando Broja

Romey 1878

21 minutes ago, patto said:

What if he is leaving next summer what is the sense in giving him a big pay rise as I say he is under contract and he was delighted to sign his current deal. 

Just curious, do you have no interest in attempting to keep our best players? The flipside of your question is, what if we give him a raise to 80k and then we improve considerably and finish 8th in the table? Wouldn't that be a compelling case for him to stay? At some point we have to move on from damage control to belief and I think this is a reasonable time to do so. 

And lastly, he's an 80k week player. Any team in the league would pay him that if given the opportunity, Well, except Ipswich lol.    

2 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

Just curious, do you have no interest in attempting to keep our best players? The flipside of your question is, what if we give him a raise to 80k and then we improve considerably and finish 8th in the table? Wouldn't that be a compelling case for him to stay? At some point we have to move on from damage control to belief and I think this is a reasonable time to do so. 

And lastly, he's an 80k week player. Any team in the league would pay him that if given the opportunity, Well, except Ipswich lol.    

We can change our output when in the new stadium. 
look I want the best players for Everton but I know it’s not feasible at the moment. 
if Jarrad was here at the end of the season and on 80k it wouldn’t make any difference if a top team came in he would still want to leave it’s about ambition and cash. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Exactly. You review their impact and adjust their wage accordingly. When you've got a standout player like Branthwaite, you do the same relative to the impact he's having and that makes him one of our star players so pay parity with our biggest earners is a minimum and if you're wanting to keep your star asset who's going to net you £80m profit, you maybe pay a little more now knowing you won't notice it when he's sold. Probably City next summer depending on their hearing.

The problem with this is you only ever adjust upwards in football. Take Dom who has been unproductive for 3 seasons. By all rights he should be taking a cut but that will never happen.  

Ultimately it’s just supply and demand. If other clubs will pay our players as much or more than we are obligated to match or lose them. If other clubs won’t pay then that than regardless of performance there is no reason to pay them more.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Exactly. You review their impact and adjust their wage accordingly. When you've got a standout player like Branthwaite, you do the same relative to the impact he's having and that makes him one of our star players so pay parity with our biggest earners is a minimum and if you're wanting to keep your star asset who's going to net you £80m profit, you maybe pay a little more now knowing you won't notice it when he's sold. Probably City next summer depending on their hearing.

Or put another way, all compensation agreements should be based on performance and impact on the team. When it increases, so does compensation; when it drops, so does compensation. When you're out injured, it's the equivalent of long-term disability at 70%, say, covered by insurance. This is why some sales guys reap huge rewards, because their impact on the top/bottom line is huge. When they fail to deliver, though, they fail to receive bonuses and might be replaced. You don't commit to pay top sales guys huge bonuses for many years regardless of performance, so why players?

50 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

The problem with this is you only ever adjust upwards in football. Take Dom who has been unproductive for 3 seasons. By all rights he should be taking a cut but that will never happen.  

Ultimately it’s just supply and demand. If other clubs will pay our players as much or more than we are obligated to match or lose them. If other clubs won’t pay then that than regardless of performance there is no reason to pay them more.

Well, I'd argue it's a bit more complicated than that. We have a player who is worth a material amount of money. Is he worth more wages than he's paid right now? No, I think we all agree he's not. But, if we don't cave to his contract demands we risk him leaving for nothing. So, while I'm not sure whether I'd pay him more, I'd argue there is some reason to pay him more, if only to maintain his value on your books. I'm assuming he wouldn't accept this, but a one year extension at 130k is something I'd offer, basically to kick the can. It's enough to keep him happy (maybe) but not nearly enough to scare off potential buyers. 

29 minutes ago, Btay said:

30 million is just ridiculous.

Everyone needs to stop buying Chelsea cast aways for a premium. Then they will be in a right mess with the amount they have spent & the amount of players they have.

It’s an option to buy… a lot would have to happen for Ipswich to take it up. We need to make sure, if we trigger his 1 year option, that Maupay’s potential loan has an obligation - I’d obviously prefer a straight sale but I feel that’s less likely.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

It’s an option to buy… a lot would have to happen for Ipswich to take it up. We need to make sure, if we trigger his 1 year option, that Maupay’s potential loan has an obligation - I’d obviously prefer a straight sale but I feel that’s less likely.

Unless they stay up then it's obligatory, they finished 5th last time they were promoted!

By the sounds of things that's exactly what we're doing with Maupay which is just mandatory common sense in our situation 

I’m convinced Dom is going to Chelsea (or Arsenal or Man U) and think this could be linked. I’ve always thought London but ManU is a big curve ball if they actually wanted him.

Dom won’t be automatic 1st choice at any of the above but he’d be a very good back-up/asset at probably a decent price. It wouldn’t surprise me if we’re in talks with these clubs about players like Broja, Fofana, McTomminay, Nketia to try to do a ‘mutually beneficial’ deal.

Probably 2+2=5 but that’s how I see it playing out.

24 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I’m convinced Dom is going to Chelsea (or Arsenal or Man U) and think this could be linked. I’ve always thought London but ManU is a big curve ball if they actually wanted him.

Dom won’t be automatic 1st choice at any of the above but he’d be a very good back-up/asset at probably a decent price. It wouldn’t surprise me if we’re in talks with these clubs about players like Broja, Fofana, McTomminay, Nketia to try to do a ‘mutually beneficial’ deal.

I hope you are right 👍

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I think we're Broja's first choice so it wouldn't surprise me if he's got wind that maybe things have changed with Dom and he's holding things up with Ipswich to see if he can get the move he wants.

After today I reckon the time has come to see another new striker here who believes in himself to convert chances. I have loved Dom but he is not scoring and we know he isn't getting the service, therefore he must be frustrated and pastures new might suit him and us now. 

17 hours ago, Gwlad said:

After today I reckon the time has come to see another new striker here who believes in himself to convert chances. I have loved Dom but he is not scoring and we know he isn't getting the service, therefore he must be frustrated and pastures new might suit him and us now. 

Difficult to score if your not getting any service, can’t see how swapping DCL for Broja will result in goals.