IGNORED

Dwight McNeil

Aidan

Never seen a player so one footed, but when that one foot has the ability of Harry Potter casting a spell then it kinda' makes up for it. 

I'll be honest I do love McNeil, there's something about him that I just seem to warm to. Yes, he's got tons of flaws (his other foot being one) but he's just one of those players that I can really get behind. 

If I hadn't met my wife all those years ago, I'd probably have married Dwight.

What is it about lefties that makes some so one footed but also so great with that one foot?!

(I speak as one, I can't say my left foot is to that level but my right foot is only good for standing on!)

The amount of lefties we've had who are completely one footed but score lovely goals is mad.  You never hear people say that about right footers.

30 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

What is it about lefties that makes some so one footed but also so great with that one foot?!

(I speak as one, I can't say my left foot is to that level but my right foot is only good for standing on!)

The amount of lefties we've had who are completely one footed but score lovely goals is mad.  You never hear people say that about right footers.

I wouldn't even mind if his right foot was just competent tbh but it really is useless with him.

It was summed up in that game against Brighton at their place where he went round the keeper, had an open goal and when it would've been easier to tap it in with his right foot he awkwardly hit it with his left instead!

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Easy to pick holes in McNeil and say he has no disernable pace and no rigth foot - both fair comments. However, if he had either of these he would have cost two or three times the transfer fee paid and same with wages. It aslo likley that he would have been purchased by the likes of Newcastle, Villa, Spurs or even Arsenal et al. 

Has as good a left foot as you could hope for, but other areas of weakness - This simply puts him in our price/affordabiliy bracket. If he is regulaly creating big chances (up to others to finish these off), scores 5-10 PL goals a season and does his fair share of graft out of possession, then I would say he represents decent value. 

He's was a young player coming in for around £17M not £47M, and has been a starting 11 player since he's been here. 

I have a lot of time for McNeil and tend to focus on his good points and simply accept his weakness - otherwise we probably wouldn't have him here.  

It’s shite to think that we only have the buying power to get in the budget players that the wealthier clubs and better run financially clubs don’t want, but for now that is the reality of where we are as a club, and as you rightly say McNeil represents that fact very well, could we have spent that 17 million more wisely I very much doubt it, as you said he represents good value for the money we had. Should have maybe said paid. 

38 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Easy to pick holes in McNeil and say he has no disernable pace and no rigth foot - both fair comments. However, if he had either of these he would have cost two or three times the transfer fee paid and same with wages. It aslo likley that he would have been purchased by the likes of Newcastle, Villa, Spurs or even Arsenal et al. 

Has as good a left foot as you could hope for, but other areas of weakness - This simply puts him in our price/affordabiliy bracket. If he is regulaly creating big chances (up to others to finish these off), scores 5-10 PL goals a season and does his fair share of graft out of possession, then I would say he represents decent value. 

He's was a young player coming in for around £17M not £47M, and has been a starting 11 player since he's been here. 

I have a lot of time for McNeil and tend to focus on his good points and simply accept his weakness - otherwise we probably wouldn't have him here.  

I think this is exactly why he's so frustrating though. That and the way he wanders around sometimes. I'd still like an upgrade on the wing if he's gonna be more in the middle.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I think this is exactly why he's so frustrating though. That and the way he wanders around sometimes. I'd still like an upgrade on the wing if he's gonna be more in the middle.

He's one of the most inconsistent and frustrating players I can recall seeing.  Lots of big strengths as we saw against palace, lots of big weaknesses as weve seen in many other matches.  It does appear he has more impact in the middle than out wide.  And Ndiaye seems to enjoy being out there and cutting in.

10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You think he controlled it first don't you? That was the Palace player that flicked up perfectly for him to volley in.

So it seemed but if I slow it down he didn't. Foot placement looked perfect to do exactly that too.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

The lad is only trying to find where his right foot is. Did you never lose your remote control only to find it in the fridge? No, just wait till you get older, Matthew 😛

With allot of players in our squad we have to play them outside their preferred role, like McNeil, or they are young players forced into the shit storm we have been in for the last 4 seasons, with multiple managers and fighting against relegation. I think we have the nucleus of a very good squad here, with managerial and financial stability and a couple of players coming into free up players like Dwight to play in their best position I think we could be much higher up the table and look to build for success in future seasons. 

Players like Garner, Patterson, Iroegbunam, Nidaye, and Chermiti could really flourish.

11 hours ago, Sev said:

The lad is only trying to find where his right foot is. Did you never lose your remote control only to find it in the fridge? No, just wait till you get older, Matthew 😛

No joking this made me laugh because I just opened a draw where we keep food bags etc….and told Anna to have a day off work as I found a block of cheese in there!

On 30/09/2024 at 12:11, badaids said:

He's one of the most inconsistent and frustrating players I can recall seeing.  Lots of big strengths as we saw against palace, lots of big weaknesses as weve seen in many other matches.  It does appear he has more impact in the middle than out wide.  And Ndiaye seems to enjoy being out there and cutting in.

I get your perspective but I'd argue he's actually pretty consistent. He's a slightly above average premier league player. And I'm ok with that. In reaction to the first sentence I would just say there are almost countless examples of inconsistent and frustrating in the dross we've seen the last decade. Going all the way back to Bilyaletdinov, Mirallas, Deulofeu, McGeady, Bolasie, Walcott, Bernard, Iwobi, Gray all gave me more ulcers than McNeil. It's just the nature of the position.