IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Sarri linked too. 

Compo from last of the summer wine, we need a young dynamic manager not some old has been looking for a big payday for his retirement fund, even the tinker man Ranyairi has been linked ( spelt his name wrong but don’t give a flying fuck, because he won’t be here anyway) let’s hope we get a manager for the future not the past. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Pirlo and Conte linked today. Not ideal but at least it's better approach than Howe, Lampard, Moyes etc...

Actually think Conte might be ideal. He's know for getting all fired up and not afraid to speak his mind (I.e. give someone a bollocking when needed) so far as I remember 

Pirlo is very inexperienced and didnt do a great job at Juve. Conte isnt coming here!

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Sarri linked too. 

Sarri is off to Lazio in all likelihood.

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Id like Potter. The xG and expected points Brighton should have got last season were off the charts. The reason they didn’t turn the xGand expected points into actual points or goals was the quality of players. 

Potter is intriguing but the xG is a little misleading. When I was researching him, I thought the jury was still out. 

Last season Brighton were 10th on xG and 3rd on xGa. Given Brighton's resources, the former is more than respectable but the latter is exceptional. The previous season, which was his first with his feet under the table at Brighton, they were 13th for xG and 15th for xGa which is basically in and around where they finished (15th) and where you would expect them to be. 

I think he still needs to prove that he can back up those impressive figures into next season before he is considered anything more than another average manager that just happens to play a better style of football.

Another one I will throw into the hat... Rudi Garcia. Solid record in Italy and France with different clubs. Unlike a lot of French managers, he plays attacking football and his stats back up his teams performances. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudi_Garcia

He is also available after leaving Lyon. It might seem disappointing that they finished 4th this season in France but they were 2nd in the league in expected goals but only 5th in goals against. The goals against was very par for the other teams around them aside from the brilliant work of league winners Lille. 

He has a solid record in the Champions League too, knocking out Man City in last seasons knockout rounds.

8 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's just my opinion, but xG is a load of shite. "Expected goals" is just as useful as saying "Points gained if they had Messi" or "League position if Manchester City didn't complete". It's a total dead bit of information, you can have all the expected goals you want but if you don't score you don't win, and it's really that simple for me. People (not on this forum, in the broader media) proper get obsessed with xG as the basis to see how well or poorly a team did but I just find it all a bit laughable.

Would rather have 1 shot on target and win 1-0 than 16 and lose 4-0.

You have to take it with a pinch of salt. It isnt the only thing that matters but it can give a long term view of performance along with other stats. There is a reason the best managers over time have a high xG and a low xGa when compared to their peers. 

The basic point of xG in this context is that it will highlight managers who set up their team to create more good chances and concede less good chances. Surely you agree that a side that creates more good chances and concedes less good chances  will have a better chance of winning games in the long term than side that does the opposite. 

Of course that doesn't mean that a side that has only one shot can't win a game when the other team has lots of great chances ( look at the Leno Arsenal game!), however over time, the sides that do the right things win more games than those that don't. xG and the similar statistics just quantify that chance. 

It probably wont interest you but Brentford apply these type of statistics a lot and it hasn't done them too much harm! There are plenty of articles about them online.

38 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Pirlo is very inexperienced and didnt do a great job at Juve.

@Matt Just did more research and this isnt true! I am surprised they got rid of him. He is still inexperienced though and would fall into the Lampard category.

I was wondering what you were going on about :lol: Inexperienced in the management role but one of the best players ever and did a very good job at Juve. 

Anyway, I was just sharing what I'd read. I honestly don't know who I want, I'm still fuming from the betrayal. 

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was wondering what you were going on about :lol: I experienced in the management role but one of the best players ever and did a very good job at Juve. 

Anyway, I was just sharing what I'd read. I honestly don't know who I want, I'm still fuming from the betrayal. 

As hard as it is I’m trying not to dwell on Anceforgotti I believed and trusted him completely, he caught a lot of us out he’s now history consigned to room 101. Another exciting chapter in a never ending Everton saga awaits us, I do love being an Evertonian there’s never a dull moment. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Have a look into Brentford's owner and what he's done for them with analytics and stats. Really interesting view on success. 

I actually thought about him, but he's stuck with his team through the disappointments and will now enjoy his success. I'd be very surprised to see a promoted team shed their manager. Plus, he has no prem experience at all.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I actually thought about him, but he's stuck with his team through the disappointments and will now enjoy his success. I'd be very surprised to see a promoted team shed their manager. Plus, he has no prem experience at all.

I think Aidan's talking about the owner not the manager.

I have a personal interest here, eldest son is a Brentford season ticket holder so hoping one of his mates can't go to our match there.

I keep seeing Potter being mentioned. I’d have more respect for the guy if he stuck it out at Brighton, got them safely into the top half and converting these chances on a regular basis. 
If he was to leave Brighton to join us after they took a chance on him, is he the kind of manager we want anyway? We all feel betrayed by Carlo, so wouldn’t the Brighton fans feel just as betrayed by Potter if he left to join Everton?

He should stay where he is and make the most of the opportunities that have been afforded to him already. 

• 2 minutes ago, StevO said:

I keep seeing Potter being mentioned. I’d have more respect for the guy if he stuck it out at Brighton, got them safely into the top half and converting these chances on a regular basis. 
    If he was to leave Brighton to join us after they took a chance on him, is he the kind of manager we want anyway? We all feel betrayed by Carlo, so wouldn’t the Brighton fans feel just as betrayed by Potter if he left to join Everton?

He should stay where he is and make the most of the opportunities that have been afforded to him already. 

I have had B&H to go down for the past 3 seasons in our family sweep. I don't think their survival is enough for me to put faith in Potter. Or maybe he is the next managerial star? None of us know.

1 minute ago, StevO said:

You are absolutely right, and it would be hypocritical of us to do to another team what Real did to us. However this is the state of the modern game, bigger teams pray on smaller ones. 

I genuinely don't know who I want as manager, I know who I don't want, and that includes all our previous managers. 

24 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I have a personal interest here, eldest son is a Brentford season ticket holder so hoping one of his mates can't go to our match there.

Poor parenting there Gwlad, how did you allow that to happen? Taking my seven year old grandson his first full kit tomorrow:). None of the other (9) grandkids have shown any interest in the game yet but as soon as they do I'll be all over them like a rash.

50 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I think Aidan's talking about the owner not the manager.

You're quite right. Apologies for the confusion. I was thinking of their manager, not their owner.

24 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I just had another thought, since his name has not been mentioned - but he's certainly a young and ambitious manager, and plenty were rooting for his success this past season: Scott Parker. His team deservedly beat us at home.

Good shout, would like him here, progressive, smart, tough. 

Definitely a contender.

16 hours ago, StevO said:

I’d be quite happy with Sarri. 

Same here, progressive attacking football.  

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

Another one I will throw into the hat... Rudi Garcia. Solid record in Italy and France with different clubs. Unlike a lot of French managers, he plays attacking football and his stats back up his teams performances. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudi_Garcia

He is also available after leaving Lyon. It might seem disappointing that they finished 4th this season in France but they were 2nd in the league in expected goals but only 5th in goals against. The goals against was very par for the other teams around them aside from the brilliant work of league winners Lille. 

He has a solid record in the Champions League too, knocking out Man City in last seasons knockout rounds.

Yeah he should be in the running, I read up on him when they beat man city, sounds like a decent manager.

14 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's just my opinion, but xG is a load of shite. "Expected goals" is just as useful as saying "Points gained if they had Messi" or "League position if Manchester City didn't complete". It's a total dead bit of information, you can have all the expected goals you want but if you don't score you don't win, and it's really that simple for me. People (not on this forum, in the broader media) proper get obsessed with xG as the basis to see how well or poorly a team did but I just find it all a bit laughable.

Would rather have 1 shot on target and win 1-0 than 16 and lose 4-0.

Agreed.  xG is a biased judgement parading as a statistic.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I just had another thought, since his name has not been mentioned - but he's certainly a young and ambitious manager, and plenty were rooting for his success this past season: Scott Parker. His team deservedly beat us at home.

Yes, I have a soft spot for Fulham, I followed them concurrently with Everton during my early premier league days (big Clint Dempsey fan).  Everton is my team but I loosely follow Fulham and watch a match or presser here or there.  He did an excellent job, his pressers he’s very smart, but down to earth and humble.  He didn’t have a great squad but worked some miracles with it.  I think in a few years he could be the next great English manager. I really like him.

I’ve been away without decent reception for a few days so it’s the first time I’ve been able to post on this.

Like many I’m not sure who I want, but whoever it is, I want them to have the awareness  to realise that Siggy, Gomes, Delph and Iwobi aren’t going to take the team forward, and the balls to tell the board and Moshiri to get rid,  or let them know that they will only be seen as subs or emergency injury cover

On 05/06/2021 at 14:35, Matt said:

I was wondering what you were going on about :lol: Inexperienced in the management role but one of the best players ever and did a very good job at Juve. 

I have no idea why, I just had it in my head that he had cocked it up at Juve. Its a bit like one of those dreams when you wake up and are sure its real 😆

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I have no idea why, I just had it in my head that he had cocked it up at Juve. Its a bit like one of those dreams when you wake up and are sure its real 😆

For the first time in 10 seasons they failed to win the league and only qualified for the Champions League on the final day - yes they won 2 domestic cups but with their poor show in the ECL, I’d guess it was seen as a poor season overall.