IGNORED

Jarrad Branthwaite

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jarrad-branthwaite-injury-update-after-29672485

Based on what we know about Dyche I'll be very surprised if we see Branthwaite starting games before September.

He was supposed to be fit for the start of the season but maybe September is ok no need to rush him back now we have big Jake. 
thank god he never went with England his injury’s would have been worse.  

On 25/07/2024 at 20:58, Goodison Glory said:

Both Gomes and Onana were on 100k so I'm sure giving him 160k even with the other signings we've made is manageable. 

There’s no need to give anyone in our squad 160k we’ve been down that road before That’s what helped get us in the mess we were in. 
Jarrad has a contract and it’s more than enough for now. 

7 hours ago, patto said:

There’s no need to give anyone in our squad 160k we’ve been down that road before That’s what helped get us in the mess we were in. 
Jarrad has a contract and it’s more than enough for now. 

His contract is so  far below his worth that he could become easily persuaded to put in a transfer request. 

17 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

His contract is so  far below his worth that he could become easily persuaded to put in a transfer request. 

I think this is why we’re going to discuss a new contract with him. We can’t offer £160k but we can offer him a par with our highest 25%. 
He has been offered astronomical wages by another club, so we need to show him confidence and give him what he is worth. £80k with a promise of a review in two years.

57 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He and his agent were happy to sign the contract 12 months ago so I’m not against giving him a new one but no way give him 160k

On 25/07/2024 at 20:58, Goodison Glory said:

Both Gomes and Onana were on 100k so I'm sure giving him 160k even with the other signings we've made is manageable. 

Not a chance is that manageable, it wasn’t manageable when the players you talk about were here, so why so confident it will be manageable now.  We paid wages sold players and borrowed hundreds of millions and still found ourselves in a negative with 2 PSR hearings for the season before and a scramble to sell players to narrowly avoid another for last season. 
We are hopefully getting to grips with our finances but can’t or aren’t in a position yet to be giving players 160k a week. 

One thing we have to realise is that the highest player dictates the rest of the wages. 
One player on £160k will mean others will ask for parity.

It’s important we stick to our wage structure. Imagine players in transfer discussions. 
Well you have a very young lad in centre of defence in £160k, so as an experienced striker I should be worth £200k.

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

Not a chance is that manageable, it wasn’t manageable when the players you talk about were here, so why so confident it will be manageable now.  We paid wages sold players and borrowed hundreds of millions and still found ourselves in a negative with 2 PSR hearings for the season before and a scramble to sell players to narrowly avoid another for last season. 
We are hopefully getting to grips with our finances but can’t or aren’t in a position yet to be giving players 160k a week. 

It’s manageable because there isn’t a transfer fee. Which saves a lot of money on the balance sheet. It’ll be the same argument that DCL’s agent will be making to the club too. Either sell the player and then you can afford the replacement or pay them big money and not have the transfer fee on the books for the next four or five years. 

The problem the club caused itself over the last eight years has been high wages and a high transfer fee. We can afford one or the other, both has crippled us. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

It’s manageable because there isn’t a transfer fee. Which saves a lot of money on the balance sheet. It’ll be the same argument that DCL’s agent will be making to the club too. Either sell the player and then you can afford the replacement or pay them big money and not have the transfer fee on the books for the next four or five years. 

The problem the club caused itself over the last eight years has been high wages and a high transfer fee. We can afford one or the other, both has crippled us. 

We can’t afford the high wages, we were paying 95-96% of our turnover in wages which has gone along way to help us get to where we find ourselves today. 
From what I understand you are saying is offer players you don’t want to leave Huge wages to keep them from leaving and expect players you have to sign to accept significantly less, great model on paper but as someone else said once you set the bar high they all are going to looking for the same or close to, unless of course you sign players who aren’t at the level required. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

We can’t afford the high wages, we were paying 95-96% of our turnover in wages which has gone along way to help us get to where we find ourselves today. 
From what I understand you are saying is offer players you don’t want to leave Huge wages to keep them from leaving and expect players you have to sign to accept significantly less, great model on paper but as someone else said once you set the bar high they all are going to looking for the same or close to, unless of course you sign players who aren’t at the level required. 

No, what I’m saying is if we didn’t have Branthwaite we would have signed a defender last year. We would have paid a transfer fee and good wages. If we paid £20m for a player and gave him a four year contract he would be costing us £96k a week before his wages. So at what point does the high value player we have become more cost effective than bringing in a replacement? 

We can talk about selling Branthwaite, and that will cover the cost. But it will cover the cost of an inferior player. 

It’s not as simple as we just can’t give him big wages. In the same way it’s not as simple as we just sold Onana so we’ve got a spare bit of cash for a transfer fee. 

Our top earners are on around £120-130k per week. Branthwaite is one of our better, if not our best, player. So he should be paid parity, and it would probably be enough to keep him. There is no realistic argument to keep him on less money than Pickford or DCL when he’s every bit as important to the team. 

And the idea that the other players will want parity if he earns above them. Players understand the benefit of having no transfer fee and what it does to the contract. They all didn’t scream for parity when Bernard was on £150k sat on the bench, but they would have understood he was a free transfer and he cashed in. Just like Tarky did when he came to the club. He will have taken a few million to the bank. 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

JB is a quality player but in reality he has had 1 good season. Ludicrous to offer him 160K. He definitely deserves a bumper contract but that is just far to excessive. 80-100K is probably about right and even that is on the high end.

I agree he doesn’t need £160k, but if we really want to keep him for a couple more seasons he needs to be earning what our best players are earning. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

No, what I’m saying is if we didn’t have Branthwaite we would have signed a defender last year. We would have paid a transfer fee and good wages. If we paid £20m for a player and gave him a four year contract he would be costing us £96k a week before his wages. So at what point does the high value player we have become more cost effective than bringing in a replacement? 

We can talk about selling Branthwaite, and that will cover the cost. But it will cover the cost of an inferior player. 

It’s not as simple as we just can’t give him big wages. In the same way it’s not as simple as we just sold Onana so we’ve got a spare bit of cash for a transfer fee. 

Our top earners are on around £120-130k per week. Branthwaite is one of our better, if not our best, player. So he should be paid parity, and it would probably be enough to keep him. There is no realistic argument to keep him on less money than Pickford or DCL when he’s every bit as important to the team. 

And the idea that the other players will want parity if he earns above them. Players understand the benefit of having no transfer fee and what it does to the contract. They all didn’t scream for parity when Bernard was on £150k sat on the bench, but they would have understood he was a free transfer and he cashed in. Just like Tarky did when he came to the club. He will have taken a few million to the bank. 

My best research shows that Doucoure is on 130k a week as the highest paid player at the club, which is a complete failure of the club by making him the club’s highest paid player. 
Then Pickford is on 125k which compared to Doucoure would seem a bargain, I can get Pickford’s wages he has proven himself to be the best keeper in the league over 2-3 seasons and one of the best in Europe. 
Then we find Tarkowski and DCL on 100k a week, Tarkowski was a great signing for us a leader who put everything on the line and for me was the anchor in the centre of defence, DCL had another poor season and his money was a reflection on the season he had under Ancelotti, which he had never shown the likes of before or after, and to offer him 135k a week to sign a new contract is wrong he’s not worth that much money his performances have shown that, I would argue at best we offer him the 100k a week he is currently on or even less to reflect on his contribution to the team. 
Then everyone else is 90k and below, the second best player for me in the team behind Pickford last season was Mykolenko who is on 58k a week which is about the middle range for our squad, and probably too low for him when you consider the likes of Harrison 90k Keane 80k and Holgate 70k. 
To give Branthwaite anywhere near 160k a week would be a huge error in judgement that would have a catastrophic impact on the expectations of players at the club and definitely on those we are wanting to join the club, if him and his advisers are holding out for that sort of money then sell him, the standing of the club is far more important than any one player, those sort of wages aren’t manageable for us and won’t be for many years to come, the reality is we have close to a billion debt, and have over the last couple of seasons started reducing our wage bill from one of the highest in the league when compared to turnover, are currently fighting every season to stay within PSR rules, and now people are saying we can start paying silly salaries “ it’s manageable” my arse is it, it’s suicidal that’s what it is. 

16 minutes ago, patto said:

Where is these stats coming from regarding our players being on over 100k if anyone is on over this amount it’s criminal none are worth that amount. 

It’s the going rate in the league now. If we don’t pay over £100k we don’t have Pickford. He could probably earn double that elsewhere too. 

We need to put things into context. 

Branthwaite is a young player who has had a really good season. To make him a top earner would be business suicide. 

That’s the type of thing that’s got us into this position in the first place. If he wants out…. Then sell him. He is no different t than any other player in the team for me. Club always has to come first.

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

We need to put things into context. 

Branthwaite is a young player who has had a really good season. To make him a top earner would be business suicide. 

That’s the type of thing that’s got us into this position in the first place. If he wants out…. Then sell him. He is no different t than any other player in the team for me. Club always has to come first.

Why would his age make it business suicide? How many players were more important than him last season? 
If you were one of the most important players would you be fine being one of the lowest paid because you’re young?

Paying good young players didn’t get us in this mess. We didn’t have good young players. 

16 minutes ago, StevO said:

Why would his age make it business suicide? How many players were more important than him last season? 
If you were one of the most important players would you be fine being one of the lowest paid because you’re young?

Paying good young players didn’t get us in this mess. We didn’t have good young players. 

Because of experience and consistency. 
A young player doesn’t have either. 

You need to earn your contracts. Having a good season and getting parity with top earners would surely raise our wage cap no end.

Answer to your question. I’ve always been brought up to earn. I wouldn’t expect to come in for a short time and earn the same as seasoned seniors no. 

Branthwaite is a very good defender. And has potential to be a top player. But he isn’t Messi or Ronaldo. To Everton fans he maybe…. But to the rest of the world he is just a good player that has potential to be a very good player.

44 minutes ago, StevO said:

It’s the going rate in the league now. If we don’t pay over £100k we don’t have Pickford. He could probably earn double that elsewhere too. 

It’s not the going rate it’s more like 70k apart from the top 6

1 hour ago, patto said:

Where is these stats coming from regarding our players being on over 100k if anyone is on over this amount it’s criminal none are worth that amount. 

Widely publicised on many platforms of good reputation, only 2 now on over 100k a week since Gomes and Mina left and only 2 on 100k and it needs to stay that way, the fact that some of our biggest earners have left isn’t evidence that we now have more money to throw around far from it, it means that we might fall on the right side of the PSR rules. 

39 minutes ago, patto said:

It’s not the going rate it’s more like 70k apart from the top 6

And we are bottom 6 and trying our hardest to pay players what they would be getting if they were at a top 6 club.  The lunatics were running the asylum comes to mind, at least Thelwell is trying to take us back into sanity.