IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

On 24/03/2021 at 18:21, Shukes said:

If I’m honest, we’ve only been an exciting attacking team for a handful of matches when on a purple patch at the start of the season.

Other than that we’ve been involved in matches that could have easily gone either way. 
I feel we’re still a bit away from being a serious top four contender, even though we are contending if that makes sense.

I have wondered whether we caught some of those early teams a little unawares what with everything going on. It was only 5 or 6 games into the league season that the same tactics we employed in those early games started getting picked apart a lot more.

I am hoping that it isn't and that we can find some form in these last 10 games that can lead to us kicking on next season playing with confidence.

On 24/03/2021 at 20:58, Palfy said:

Yes that makes perfect sense, if we are not a serious top 4 contender yet we are contending, we most be a Joke or imposter contender. In all seriousness we are over achieving in some respects when you look at how we perform on the pitch, we are not playing free flowing football with good possession, yet we are digging in and getting results, so we can look at this in a couple of ways. 1) do we think this is down to Ancelotti and the way he wants to play football, or 2) do we think this is because he’s trying to do what he can with what’s at his disposal. If we think it’s number 1 then we need to move him on because the players might change but the tactics won’t. If we believe it’s number 2 then he’s doing well with a team of players that aren’t able to play how he wants, and when he’s given time to bring his own blend of players in then we will see a different style of play. Bailey mentions 4 players who were let go that may of added some balance to the squad if a bit tongue in cheek when mentioning them, but we have to let players go to make room for others, them 4 enabled James Allan Doucoure and Godfrey to join, who would Bailey rather have? You can’t have them all we’ve already got the highest wages bill based on turnover in the league as it is. 
Personally I’m more than happy with how we are progressing since Ancelotti joined, not by the style of play at the moment but with the players he has brought in and the calibre of players I think we will get going forward under him, another 3 or 4 in the next couple of windows to go along with what he’s already brought in and things will hopefully look a lot different if not he will be another one added to the list of being shown the door. 

Just because those players are on loan, it doesn't mean they are off the wage books. There is no way that if Ancellotti wanted those players to stay that they would have gone.

I think the signings have been alright myself, but many of them have a shelf life. If James is injured half the season, then that means we have to stick with Iwobi because we won't get a decent replacement to sit on the bench when the Colombian isn't fit. James isn't going to be here much longer either if we don't get into Europe. Allan isn't a young man anymore and in a physical league he isn't going to be playing week in week out or have the longevity of career he might do in other leagues. Within a couple of seasons we will be replacing these two and with the league as it is this season, it feels like this may be our best chance. I have seen enough of Everton to know that the stars don't align this often!

On 25/03/2021 at 08:29, Hafnia said:

Are you saying Ancellotti should be doing business in January?  

I love a transfer and we need strengthening without question but we have squandered money galore which is why we actually need the transfers - but January is no good, never has been barring the odd exception.  If you want to buy quality then expect to pay 30% more. 

For me it also comes down to Ancellotti getting time to see how his summer transfers settle and how it shapes his strategy. 

We need another 5 first team players which will then tip the balance of the team as being pretty much Carlos as a minimum. 

Goalkeeper, centre half/right back, centre mid, forward 

Players can be bought in January. It might not be as easy as in the summer, but it is by no means impossible. If they are decent players then paying more than the market rate doesn't really matter. Everyone thought Fernandes was bad business last season and look how that ended up!

The case is that there were options to address the problems in the squad over the 3 windows (in particular LB, RB and CF). They weren't taken for a reason but they were decisions taken by management. You can't then use having a CB at RB as an excuse (especially if you watch Chambers for Arsenal at the weekend), or having no-one to fill the void if your LB or CF get injured. In some ways, we are lucky that they haven't been out for longer! Either Ancellotti over estimated the ability of his squad, or they were happy to stick with the players they had.

It might well be that we do get the 5 players you have mentioned and everything turns rosey but I have learnt with Everton to look at the here and now and what might be doesn't turn out how you would expect it might.

57 minutes ago, Btay said:

Seen a stat and not sure if its been mentioned but apparently we have only fielded Richarlison, DCL, Digne, Allan, James & Doucoure on 5 occasions in the league. Won 4 drawn 1.

I think it was six times, won five drawn one, but not 100% on that. 
Either way, get our six best players on the pitch at the same time and we win more games. I’d like to stick Keane and Godfrey at centre half along side these lads, and see how they can do then. 
If we could throw a right back and another centre midfielder in there we might really have a chance!

I hate to look to the future, as this season isn’t over, but I really think we’ve got a lot to look forward to over the next few years. 
It would be great to spend the last few years at Goodison with some high flying league campaigns, some big cup ties and some European nights (I really hope we can get into the champions league and see some of Europe’s elite at GP). 

31 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think it was six times, won five drawn one, but not 100% on that. 
Either way, get our six best players on the pitch at the same time and we win more games. I’d like to stick Keane and Godfrey at centre half along side these lads, and see how they can do then. 
If we could throw a right back and another centre midfielder in there we might really have a chance!

I hate to look to the future, as this season isn’t over, but I really think we’ve got a lot to look forward to over the next few years. 
It would be great to spend the last few years at Goodison with some high flying league campaigns, some big cup ties and some European nights (I really hope we can get into the champions league and see some of Europe’s elite at GP). 

Great discussion and completely agree!

@Romey 1878 take notes 😂

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Moyes is the type of manager that could win the quadruple and still split opinions simply because of how he is

Moyes isnt the type of manager to win anything... That's the problem. Has a lot of similarities with Southgate.  Steady Eddie

• 3 weeks later...