IGNORED

Kalvin Phillips

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I freely admit I'm just not a fan of him and put him in the Danny Drinkwater category of being massively overhyped for not doing much of anything, but I really feel this had to happen at the beginning of the summer for it to have any chance of working.

I think it'll be a massive waste of time now and hope the story is a load of bollocks.

💯

If ever there was a player that needed a Dyche style pre season it’s this fella

I imagine he comes in and before he even meets the squad he has a week full of gaffa’s days. 
Then spends the next few months injured. 

Jokes aside. I’d really like him and think for a team with very little possession he is would be good on the counter attack, he has a nice range of pass on him. If Dyche can get him fit as he was at Leeds then he’s also very good at winning back possession on the edge of his own box. 

A loan is low risk too. He’s got a point to prove and we need options. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, StevO said:

I doubt they will be holding that position come deadline day. 
Maybe the £3m loan fee, not unreasonable, but those big wages just aren’t happening for any team that would be interested. 

I could be wrong, but when it’s a loan I think the fee and the wages are basically the same from a financial perspective because the impact is all on a single financial year. If that’s the case, their position is that to take him on loan you’d have to absorb roughly 210k a week in wages. Good luck!

5 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

I could be wrong, but when it’s a loan I think the fee and the wages are basically the same from a financial perspective because the impact is all on a single financial year. If that’s the case, their position is that to take him on loan you’d have to absorb roughly 210k a week in wages. Good luck!

Thats the same with any deal though, its always spread across the term of the contract. For a loan its a one year contract. 

Kalvin Phillips is apparently on nearly £8m per year, £150k per week. So picking him up on loan and paying £150k per week is a big hit for us, if we were to add another £3m for the loan fee (when they clearly want him out of the door) that could take a lot of clubs out of the picture. 

£11m on the balance sheet for a year would be the same as a £30m transfer with a five year contract on £100k per week. Thats a big one for us right now.

I think realistically, after this has been a bad transfer for City, letting him go on loan with £1m fee and a them covering half of his wages would be reasonable, realistic and save them about £5m for the season. Or potentially he stays there, doesnt play and picks up £8m in wages.

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Thats the same with any deal though, its always spread across the term of the contract. For a loan its a one year contract. 

Kalvin Phillips is apparently on nearly £8m per year, £150k per week. So picking him up on loan and paying £150k per week is a big hit for us, if we were to add another £3m for the loan fee (when they clearly want him out of the door) that could take a lot of clubs out of the picture. 

£11m on the balance sheet for a year would be the same as a £30m transfer with a five year contract on £100k per week. Thats a big one for us right now.

I think realistically, after this has been a bad transfer for City, letting him go on loan with £1m fee and a them covering half of his wages would be reasonable, realistic and save them about £5m for the season. Or potentially he stays there, doesnt play and picks up £8m in wages.

For sure it's the same for all deals. That said, when you buy a player you have the ability to recoup your investment. 11m for a one year loan is absolutely insane for a player that while talented I think everyone agrees is a real risk of being a zero.

3 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

For sure it's the same for all deals. That said, when you buy a player you have the ability to recoup your investment. 11m for a one year loan is absolutely insane for a player that while talented I think everyone agrees is a real risk of being a zero.

I agree. £11m is too much of a risk. Its also why I dont think City will want these kind of terms, certainly not close to the deadline anyway.

If we were to get him the deal will look nothing like this and will be very late in the window in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

With Tim, gana, and garner we are light on the box to box front if we get injuries. Don't class doucoure as able to do that role. 

Doucoure is more than capable of playing that role. He doesn't always look the part but he's been hugely important for us the past couple years and he's more suited to the role we're asking of him this year than the one he's played in the past couple seasons.

19 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

With Tim, gana, and garner we are light on the box to box front if we get injuries. Don't class doucoure as able to do that role. 

I’m liking Tim whatshisname there though. I know it’s only been friendly’s but he’s looked pretty good.

Didn’t see this coming…

Will delight a few but personally am a bit worried as it seemed a pretty straight forward deal to do for someone we supposedly really wanted. Maybe this is a smokescreen or our interest isn’t as intense as we’ve been led to believe.

….or we’ll now go and match whatever Ipswich have offered.

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He was always going to cost an extortionate amount, I don't know why so many are surprised and all of a sudden are put off.

I expected half what’s being rumoured and guess that’s what we’d have been willing to pay.