IGNORED

Kalvin Phillips

13 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

Doucoure is more than capable of playing that role. He doesn't always look the part but he's been hugely important for us the past couple years and he's more suited to the role we're asking of him this year than the one he's played in the past couple seasons.

Nah he's an appalling passer 

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Madness.

That said, money well spent if he keeps them up....but I don't see it.

Exactly - I think he’d have been useful for us but not an integral player. For Ipswich however, he could be their ‘main man’.

32 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

A little bit disappointed by this tbh, we seem very lightweight in CM so if it’s not Phillips then we need to find someone else and fast

I wonder if this impacts the Jens Cajuste deal? He was meant to be going to Ipswich and rumours yesterday saying we were trying to hijack the deal

I was thinking the same - would be a logical cadjustment but we can’t do a loan deal… maybe Napoli would negotiate a deal with a low down payment this season and more over his contract. Already a relationship there, you’d think, with the Lindstrøm deal.

31 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

I wonder if it’ll get awkward when the other players realize he earns the same as the rest of their team combined 😂

I imagine its a massive jump in wages from most of the team to Phillips. Paying his full £150k a week wages - almost £7m a year. 

Glad he is not coming here to be our highest paid player. Club has done the right thing and not sign up to this deal - puts out total the wrong message to the rest of the squad (and that is no matter how well he goes on to do).

9 hours ago, Matt said:

He's gonna be their Barkley at Luton.

He is but like Barkley he won’t keep them up, but I think if fit he’s guaranteed to be on the team sheet every week. 
Happy we never signed him if the money that’s been said is correct. 

On 15/08/2024 at 09:52, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

A little bit disappointed by this tbh, we seem very lightweight in CM so if it’s not Phillips then we need to find someone else and fast

I wonder if this impacts the Jens Cajuste deal? He was meant to be going to Ipswich and rumours yesterday saying we were trying to hijack the deal

On 15/08/2024 at 10:27, c1982 said:

I was thinking the same - would be a logical cadjustment but we can’t do a loan deal… maybe Napoli would negotiate a deal with a low down payment this season and more over his contract. Already a relationship there, you’d think, with the Lindstrøm deal.

25 minutes ago, patto said:

Why would they go bankrupt or get relegated they were a decent side and have added to it. 

Obviously it was a joke, but I’ll entertain it. They have a tiny turnover, they are trying to bring in players who carry big costs, Phillips, Broja, the lad from Napoli, Schmodiks. I question if they can actually afford it. 
And why would they get relegated? Because statistics show that teams who come up have a hard time staying up. 

I really respect what Ipswich have done the past few seasons and their manager is excellent and will get a lot out of the talent he has, but they were probably the most likely team to get relegated until they starting making these late moves.  Now, who knows? It seems strange to me that they would wait until this late in the window to bring in so many starting 11 players. 

28 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

I really respect what Ipswich have done the past few seasons and their manager is excellent and will get a lot out of the talent he has, but they were probably the most likely team to get relegated until they starting making these late moves.  Now, who knows? It seems strange to me that they would wait until this late in the window to bring in so many starting 11 players. 

To have them for a couple of months before the season starts cost so much in wages maybe we will do similar in the last week of the window. 

15 minutes ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

There's no chance Ipswich are paying £13m in fees and wages to have Phillips for one season, is there? 

There is. Parachute payments are so generous that I wonder if it's worth going up and back down to the Championship multiple times for the money alone, rather than just scraping by to avoid relegation.