IGNORED

Kalvin Phillips

Davies was a serial substitute, not the same.

Holgate has played in the premier league enough to still be playing there. Again, not an opinion but a fact.

You not rating Emry means nothing. He is a proven premier league manager.

I think with you Haf, you class players due to if you like them or not. A premier league player is someone who came to the league, played, survived and still plays. They don’t have to be world class, just good enough to play on the premier league and make a successful career…. Which he has clearly done. 

Rodri? The best midfielder in the world right now? I hope he doesn’t come anywhere near close. That would make us look utterly foolish selling him so cheap. 

F me Haf, you would just have to close your account if he did. 

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

Ah, it's going to be one of those threads.

Yep...... looks like we have an Amadou F.C fan. 

Just imagine if we are able to get Richarlison back with Onana money and a likely DCL sale.

hopefully that will quell any anxiety about Onana becoming the next Patrick Viera and not the next Rodwell 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I think they want £20m as a priority understandably - but no team is likely to commit to that without loan and option. 

I think City may be stuck with him for a while yet - they gave him a 6 year contract at £150K a week and still has 4 years left - so over £30m in wages due to him. Why would he take something like half the wages for the next four years. Who in their rigth mind would just wave goodbye to £15M. 

He can get regular football just going out loan - so him personnally doesn't have to push for a permanent move to get him signficantly lower wages for the next 4 years.

Loan him this season, and then the following season if he does OK. Man City can carry on paying the over inflated proportion of his wages!!  

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I've just had vyvanse so I'm hoping the coffee has kicked in.

Tom Davies made 155 premier league appearances for us Matt. The "premier league player = proven" means nothing.   We've got Mason Holgate on 126 - playing in the premier league does not indicate that a player is proven - it indicates that they have played in the premier league and that is it. 

Onana could go on and justify the £50m - if he does then Emery deserves huge credit because l don't think he's currently not worth half of that value. If he was 5ft 10 he would be looked at differently.  People see huge potential because in reality a player of 6ft 4 proportions who can move has "arsene wenger will make you world class" written all over them. 

my mates lad has been at city, Everton, Liverpool and a few other academy's. My mate has said unequivocally "they are looking for athletes before footballers" - whilst a kid is dribbling past 10 players and leathering it into top corners the scouts are more concerned with finding out the height of the players grandparents. 

thats what a huge chunk of his price is - he should be a Rodri. Will he though??? 

Well it proves Tom Davies played in the premier league 155 times. You've literally disproven yourself :lol:

Your definition, I assume, relates to impact on the team, a judgement of quality. Proven just means it can be demonstrated and there's no denying that because we can point at appearances. Whether you or I like him or not is irrelevant, he's played games in the best league in the world and is now being bought by a team going for Champions League spot. That is proven. 

What is also proven at is that he's a liability, goes missing for large parts or falls over at the slightest breeze. 

I think Shukes is just being literal. Your definition requires literal plus a positive impact. But either way he's gone, we got a profit and were no worse off. Some will argue we are because we let potential go, and there's a logic to that. Some will argue we won't because it'll be nice to have 11 standing players on the pitch instead of 10. 

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Kalvin Phillips has played 10 more Premier League games than Onana - there’s a cool fact to get your head round.

Cos Phillips was playing for England whilst in the championship..... a rarity indeed. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Cos Phillips was playing for England whilst in the championship..... a rarity indeed. 

Not true - Leeds were back in the Premier League by the time he was called up then made his debut just before the season started (late due to COVID).

6 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Not true - Leeds were back in the Premier League by the time he was called up then made his debut just before the season started (late due to COVID).

He got called up for performances in championship games didn't he? Was in England squad before he kicked a ball in the prem? 

54 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Yep - not playing for England whilst in the Championship as you said though.

I hope we sign him - think he’ll do well under Dyche.

Think he will do very well under Dyche. Works hard, passes very well, keeps it simple 

If we are to sign Phillips, he's the kind of player that you'd need to bring in sooner rather than later. A muddled pre-season with City and question marks over his ability, fitness and confidence isn't going to do him any good and allow him to hit the ground running.

He'll need a full pre-season with Dyche's arm firmly wrapped around him IMO. If he's a deadline day signing or anything like that I think you're looking at a few months to see what he can do. 

As for moving, I think he definitely will. Apparently Pep all but said he would go and as @Romey 1878 stated, he was apparently shite against Celtic.

39 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This had to happen at the beginning of pre-season or not at all.

Disaster written all over it.

It is late but a loan is still fine, we'd have a freshly fit CM for the second half of the season. In theory :unsure:

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

It is late but a loan is still fine, we'd have a freshly fit CM for the second half of the season. In theory :unsure:

I wasn’t keen on getting him but he will improve us and I expect him to do well