IGNORED

Kalvin Phillips

10 hours ago, RuffRob said:

and 'if' is the point. 

so happy for him to come on loan and show he has the desire to play at the level he did a couple of years ago and find out that Everton's a great place. 

just not so keen on giving him the big money wages on a 4 year deal along with £20m spread over the same period.

If he tore is up this coming season, then great. We can worry about keeping him or replacing him at that point rather than committing to spending big on 'if'. 

Well Thats the point of the loan isn't it..., we aren't gonna pay £20m for a player who isn't worth it.  If he proves he's worth it then there's a good chance he doesn't stay with us.

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Well Thats the point of the loan isn't it..., we aren't gonna pay £20m for a player who isn't worth it.  If he proves he's worth it then there's a good chance he doesn't stay with us.

Then that will have shown he's learnt nothing from his City experience and that he's not a committed player, so it wouldn't be a great loss anyway.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

If he had a good season with us on loan I am not to sure he wouldn't stay with us, if we really wanted him - the season after he would be turning 30 years old I am not too sure who would be chomping at the bit to sign him, I wouldn't see your top 6-7 team looking to buy him nor West Ham. A mid table team is the best I see for Phillips now - hoping we confirm ourselves as a good mid table team this season.   

I think if he had a good season with us on loan, then I think we would be in a strong position to be club who would sign him, if that what we wanted.

Get him on loan great - and see how if goes. But don't think we should commit buying him for £20M ish and fully commit to pay +£100K a week for the next 4 years or so.

Schneiderlin comes to my mind - looked great at Southampton (even played for France), got massive move to top club - failed their and we took a punt on a permanent transfer and got massivley stung on both fee and wages.  Struggled to get rid.

If he has a good season here he will want to stay. 
He tried West Ham last season and they decided they didn't want him. For whatever reason. He is t in a position to be turning down clubs in the premier league.

It’s not like he is Onana and going to a team in Europe and playing for a shit international team (ranked 6 in the world) is it?

and no I’m not trying to bait Haf at all, why would you suggest such a thing? Palfy…. Your just a trouble maker.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

He tried West Ham last season and they decided they didn't want him. For whatever reason. He is t in a position to be turning down clubs in the premier league.

It’s not like he is Onana and going to a team in Europe and playing for a shit international team (ranked 6 in the world) is it?

and no I’m not trying to bait Haf at all, why would you suggest such a thing? Palfy…. You're just a trouble maker.

Here's an interesting fact mate.... made his debut for Belgium when they were ranked 2nd in the world..... since he's played for them they have dropped to 6th.  Belgium crashed out the euros having won only 1 game and got beat by Slovakia. 

maybe that's why only Villa put a bid in for him. 

Kalvin Phillips was Englands player of the tournament when we reached the Euros final..... 

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Then that will have shown he's learnt nothing from his City experience and that he's not a committed player, so it wouldn't be a great loss anyway.

Not necessarily - someone like Villa could come in for him having sold Onana to a Saudi team after he stinks the gaff out for them. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Here's an interesting fact mate.... made his debut for Belgium when they were ranked 2nd in the world..... since he's played for them they have dropped to 6th.  Belgium crashed out the euros having won only 1 game and got beat by Slovakia. 

Kalvin Phillips was Englands player of the tournament when we reached the Euros final..... 

I don't want Phillips but I'm glad Onana has gone.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Here’s a few facts for you Haf.

Onana plays for Belgium. A first team player. He was a first team player for us. 
He's so worthless that Villa who are competing in Europe this year have paid 50m for him. Man Utd also chased him. 

Phillips isn’t anywhere near his international team. 
Bottom third West Ham decided they didn’t want him, as when he came into their team… they went from European qualifies to relegation battlers.

We’re not battling teams for his signature either.

Another interesting fact, I played around jokingly and even put that I’m not trying to bait you….. mission accomplished mate.

In think we should buy Gazza, he was one of the best players in another previous tournament….. just like Phillips.

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

and no I’m not trying to bait Haf at all, why would you suggest such a thing? Palfy…. Your just a trouble maker.

Thanks for the recognition mate I do try my best, pleased to see it’s not going unnoticed 😇

Just now, Palfy said:

Thanks for the recognition mate I do try my best, pleased to see it’s not going unnoticed 😇

Haha don’t know you would be on….thought I would get away with it 😉

I actually agree with everything Haf says… I’m just putting down your thoughts on it…. That I can read through the internet!

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Here’s a few facts for you Haf.

Onana plays for Belgium. A first team player. He was a first team player for us. 
He's so worthless that Villa who are competing in Europe this year have paid 50m for him. Man Utd also chased him. 

Phillips isn’t anywhere near his international team. 
Bottom third West Ham decided they didn’t want him, as when he came into their team… they went from European qualifies to relegation battlers.

We’re not battling teams for his signature either.

Another interesting fact, I played around jokingly and even put that I’m not trying to bait you….. mission accomplished mate.

In think we should buy Gazza, he was one of the best players in another previous tournament….. just like Phillips.

So you telling me that cos Villa paid £50m for him he's worth that?

Sebastian Haller was bought for £45m, arsenal paid £70m for Pepe   - and your point is????

if you think he's a proven quality premier league player then you are wrong.... has he ever won a man of the match? - I could quote quite a few games where he was hooked off. 

Here's the thing you are missing mate......... we're getting £50m for Onana and potentially getting Phillips for a tiny fraction of that.   One player has achieved naff all and is costing £50m and what type of gap is he leaving? - One that took a spot on the bench for 3 crucial games last season that we won without him.

stop getting a titty lip cos not many if any are subscribing to your "I think he will be a top player even though he's never proven to be one" 

In the words of Neville and carragher "I just don't see what he does" 

Having seen Onana at every home game he’s played in, I don’t think he will be missed, flattered to deceive early doors, and spent the rest of his time arm waving to the faithful ( which didn’t go down well )

23 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha don’t know you would be on….thought I would get away with it 😉

I actually agree with everything Haf says… I’m just putting down your thoughts on it…. That I can read through the internet!

My thoughts on both Onana and Phillips. 
Onana will become a very good player under Emery, and has always possessed the ability to become a top player.
Under Dyche his best qualities would never have been brought to the fore because Dyche’s management style didn’t suit Onana and Onana’s abilities didn’t suit Dyche. 
Phillips for me is a big gamble especially if on a year’s loan and we have to match his salary, he has shown he can be a top player but that hasnt been seen for quite a long time now, maybe a pay as you play loan if that is possible, but definitely don’t sign him, and only pay 50% of his wages on a loan and get City to pay the rest. But I’ll be honest I’m not filled with confidence but could be worth a shot. 

38 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Sebastian Haller was bought for £45m, arsenal paid £70m for Pepe   - and your point is????

if you think he's a proven quality premier league player then you are wrong.... has he ever won a man of the match? - I could quote quite a few games where he was hooked off. 

Here's the thing you are missing mate......... we're getting £50m for Onana and potentially getting Phillips for a tiny fraction of that.   One player has achieved naff all and is costing £50m and what type of gap is he leaving? - One that took a spot on the bench for 3 crucial games last season that we won without him.

stop getting a titty lip cos not many if any are subscribing to your "I think he will be a top player even though he's never proven to be one" 

No no no.

He is worth that as Villa have paid it. It simply means they feel he is worth it. And to be honest Haf…. I don’t think they even know who you are so won’t give a flying fuck about your opinion. 
So your wrong on that one.

Yes he is a proven premier league player. Have you even been supporting us over the last few years? Just go back and look at line ups of our matches. 
So again, you’re wrong. 

Titty lipped? You gotta explain that one haha. And read this and Obama’s thread mate…. You have it completely wrong. Most people are agreeing with me and saying he has the technical ability but doesn’t fit in our team. Admittedly there’s at two that kind of agree with you haha. It’s something at least. 
But again… ye you got it, you’re wrong.

Surely you’re starting to see a bit of a trend here? 

Advice mate, quit while your behind.

Haf. You need to take these discussions as they are meant to be. I don’t agree with you at all and this is just a bit of fun as we’re not going to have a serious conversation about it are we.

But please please stop with the “don’t get upset” bullshit. That makes you sound like a schoolyard bully mate. And this is the internet mate…. I don’t even know your real name.

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

My thoughts on both Onana and Phillips. 
Onana will become a very good player under Emery, and has always possessed the ability to become a top player.
Under Dyche his best qualities would never have been brought to the fore because Dyche’s management style didn’t suit Onana and Onana’s abilities didn’t suit Dyche. 
Phillips for me is a big gamble especially if on a year’s loan and we have to match his salary, he has shown he can be a top player but that hasnt been seen for quite a long time now, maybe a pay as you play loan if that is possible, but definitely don’t sign him, and only pay 50% of his wages on a loan and get City to pay the rest. But I’ll be honest I’m not filled with confidence but could be worth a shot. 

I don't think anybody is going to want to match his wages. He's been nowhere near a £150K a week player for the last couple of years.

With his wages and 4 years worth of amorisation still to go on his contract - he's currently going to cost Man City another £60m. I really don't want to see us bailing city out and be left holding the baby on this one. A 12month loan deal with 50% wages is as deep as I would want us to go.

I was just looking at Villa's business this transfer window - just look at he age of their big trasnfers. However, Onana is the record transfer for them ever (and done in a quite year for buyers). So I feel we have done OK fee wise. Lets not squander money on risky big name older players!!!  

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aston-villa/transfers/verein/405/saison_id/2024

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

No no no.

He is worth that as Villa have paid it. It simply means they feel he is worth it. And to be honest Haf…. I don’t think they even know who you are so won’t give a flying fuck about your opinion. 
So your wrong on that one.

Yes he is a proven premier league player. Have you even been supporting us over the last few years? Just go back and look at line ups of our matches. 
So again, you’re wrong. 

Titty lipped? You gotta explain that one haha. And read this and Obama’s thread mate…. You have it completely wrong. Most people are agreeing with me and saying he has the technical ability but doesn’t fit in our team. Admittedly there’s at two that kind of agree with you haha. It’s something at least. 
But again… ye you got it, you’re wrong.

Surely you’re starting to see a bit of a trend here? 

Advice mate, quit while your behind.

Haf. You need to take these discussions as they are meant to be. I don’t agree with you at all and this is just a bit of fun as we’re not going to have a serious conversation about it are we.

But please please stop with the “don’t get upset” bullshit. That makes you sound like a schoolyard bully mate. And this is the internet mate…. I don’t even know your real name.

Calm down mate.  He's just another ex employee of Everton FC who has earned more money from the club than you and I will make in our entire working lives whilst we concern ourselves with the future of the club. 

im sure he will be delighted to know you have him down as a top player despite the majority of the fan base not really giving a shit that he's been sold. 

I’ve seen a few posts worrying about Phillips wages. There is no chance Everton pay him what he’s earning at City. If he comes here he either takes a pay cut or he has City pay him a chunk of money to leave. 
We don’t need to worry about his salary.

There is no way Dyche and Thelwell are trying to cut the wage bill and then give Phillips City level wages. 

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’ve seen a few posts worrying about Phillips wages. There is no chance Everton pay him what he’s earning at City. If he comes here he either takes a pay cut or he has City pay him a chunk of money to leave. 
We don’t need to worry about his salary.

There is no way Dyche and Thelwell are trying to cut the wage bill and then give Phillips City level wages. 

I think it will be 50% wages = £75k a week.  

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Calm down mate.  He's just another ex employee of Everton FC who has earned more money from the club than you and I will make in our entire working lives whilst we concern ourselves with the future of the club. 

im sure he will be delighted to know you have him down as a top player despite the majority of the fan base not really giving a shit that he's been sold. 

Grow up Haf.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Was he? Harry maguire, Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling made the official team of the tournament yet he didn't. 

if it's your opinion that he was then fair enough, but in terms of official votes he wasn't. 

34 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Grow up Haf.

Being fully mature mate... expressing my opinion which you knew i would when you drop the fishing line. Don't cry foul.

im genuinely delighted that a player that offers limited value to the side has gone for big money. 

28 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

Was he? Harry maguire, Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling made the official team of the tournament yet he didn't. 

if it's your opinion that he was then fair enough, but in terms of official votes he wasn't. 

I stand corrected - he got England's player of the actual year which included more games than just the euros...... even better,  but yeah his stats at euros - 2nd most distance covered, most presses, 3rd most ball recoveries in the whole tournament. Man of the match vs Croatia having kept modric quiet......

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I stand corrected - he got England's player of the actual year which included more games than just the euros...... even better,  but yeah his stats at euros - 2nd most distance covered, most presses, 3rd most ball recoveries in the whole tournament. Man of the match vs Croatia having kept modric quiet......

I think he is worth a shot at the right money on a year’s loan, the last couple of years or so he has played very little competitive football, and has seemed quite happy not playing and picking up 150k a week, by that I mean he hasn’t been that unhappy about his situation or career that he has put in a transfer request, so my concern is does he still have the drive and fire in his belly to be the player of 4 years ago, his loan at West Ham would say not he struggled there under a manager who’s team played to his strengths.  
So I’m fairly sceptical about him being able too play like he did when at Leeds,  so like I said at the right money worth a punt. 

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Being fully mature mate... expressing my opinion which you knew i would when you drop the fishing line. Don't cry foul.

im genuinely delighted that a player that offers limited value to the side has gone for big money. 

I’m saying grow up because you have started on the “don’t get upset” line.

It’s a tactic that people take when they have clearly lost yet want to hold onto a scrap of an argument. I’m not going to carry on as it’s beneath me.

13 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I've not had coffee, I've not got my glasses... But I'm pretty sure you've added the quality adjective. Shukes is simply saying he's played quite a few games in the premier league, therefore he's a proven premier league player. That simple and no reference to his ability at all. And it's 100% factually accurate, because he has played 2 seasons. 

Whilst I agree with you on his time here, I agree with Shukes too that he is going to be a player with a big career.

I think you're reading into things that aren't there. Like £50m is market value so it is what he's worth in the current climate. Probably could've got a bit more even. No one's decided that apart from Villa and Everton. But it's still his value. 

I also agree with you on Philips, assuming he can get fit again. Just like I assume Onana will go on to have a good career if he learns how to stand up for 90 mins. Both assumptions and both perfectly valid. 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I’m saying grow up because you have started on the “don’t get upset” line.

It’s a tactic that people take when they have clearly lost yet want to hold onto a scrap of an argument. I’m not going to carry on as it’s beneath me.

You keep saying "lost"..... lost what?  My opinion?  I haven't lost my opinion mate. You are getting emotional about my opinion - newsflash "everyone has them and they are often different" 

If you wish to believe that someone being a professional footballer and being picked for Belgium makes them a £50m player then that's your opinion.  I assume the £50m from Antwerp for mirallas is still in the post. 

my point in the "debate" is that it's a weak standpoint and £50m on Onana is a gamble - he's not proven himself in the premier league. As I have clearly said "he should be a very good player but I don't believe he will be cos he shares the hallmarks of many others who leave fans frustrated" - his mindset. 

Yet you contradict yourself saying a player who has actually proven himself to be a very good prem player will no longer be a good player cos he is one of the many to move to a club that hasn't suited him?  So it's fine that Onana isn't a dyche type player but not fine that Phillips isn't a pep type player? I mean let's face it - it's not like Phillips had the best CDM in the world to compete with is it? 

I personally think there is more to come from Phillips just in the same way that when we got Arteta and Pienaar from their big move clubs that there was more to come from them.  You didn't have a problem with us getting Andre Gomes on loan and actually buying him despite him being voted la ligas worst signing??? We are talking about getting Phillips on loan.... stop acting like we are gambling with the future of the club on him. If the management team fancy him then just like Dele - they are best placed to make the call.  Until the day our player recruitment system resorts to forums then that's the way it is. 

that's my final word on it with you - pick the bones out of that and you will see I've backed my opinion with reason.  You won't like it  but tough. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've not had coffee, I've not got my glasses... But I'm pretty sure you've added the quality adjective. Shukes is simply saying he's played quite a few games in the premier league, therefore he's a proven premier league player. That simple and no reference to his ability at all. And it's 100% factually accurate, because he has played 2 seasons. 

Whilst I agree with you on his time here, I agree with Shukes too that he is going to be a player with a big career.

I think you're reading into things that aren't there. Like £50m is market value so it is what he's worth in the current climate. Probably could've got a bit more even. No one's decided that apart from Villa and Everton. But it's still his value. 

I also agree with you on Philips, assuming he can get fit again. Just like I assume Onana will go on to have a good career if he learns how to stand up for 90 mins. Both assumptions and both perfectly valid. 

I've just had vyvanse so I'm hoping the coffee has kicked in.

Tom Davies made 155 premier league appearances for us Matt. The "premier league player = proven" means nothing.   We've got Mason Holgate on 126 - playing in the premier league does not indicate that a player is proven - it indicates that they have played in the premier league and that is it. 

Onana could go on and justify the £50m - if he does then Emery deserves huge credit because l don't think he's currently not worth half of that value. If he was 5ft 10 he would be looked at differently.  People see huge potential because in reality a player of 6ft 4 proportions who can move has "arsene wenger will make you world class" written all over them. 

my mates lad has been at city, Everton, Liverpool and a few other academy's. My mate has said unequivocally "they are looking for athletes before footballers" - whilst a kid is dribbling past 10 players and leathering it into top corners the scouts are more concerned with finding out the height of the players grandparents. 

thats what a huge chunk of his price is - he should be a Rodri. Will he though??? 

Haf.

He IS a proven premier league player. He’s just loved to his second premier league team after being a first team player at his first. 

Not my opinion, not yours. Just fact.

He is a 50m player as villa have just paid that, and more with add ons. We even got a sell on clause.

Not my opinion or yours, just a fact.

I don’t rate Phillips, but I do understand that he may come here and resurrect his career. And if he does, I will support him… as I’ve said several times, I will be happy to be proven wrong.

Im not getting emotional at all Haf, but I won’t accept you turning the discussion into that tired old track. For me it is childish and school bully type. And I simply don’t do Bullies. You need to accept that. 
If you don’t, then tough shit you have no choice.