IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't feel comfortable with targeting people at hospitals that are already feeling vulnerable and delicate and basically telling them their life has no meaning if they don't work. It's a capitalist way of thinking and I think there are far more things that can give life meaning than working for the man.

It feels to me like the mentally ill are being demonised and blamed but we'll see how it goes, I might have it completely wrong and it's something that will work and that the people on the end of will appreciate.

Oh that's not at all how I took it to be honest. When I was being "observed", I honestly thought I had nothing to contribute, that I was a burden and that my wife and child would be better off with accident life insurance money. If someone had come in and coached me in a way that helped remind me what I was capable of, that would've made a huge difference. Instead I got pills like Zolpidem for years that made me worse.

As I understood it, it's not going around looking at people and saying "you look fine, off you go to work". It's more "how did you get here and how can we rebuild your self confidence? Maybe try a more creative job or work in a charity? What is it you would like to do that you think you could?". 

It better be that approach, put it that way.