IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not only is he a fraud and a hypocrite, he is also wrong. It doesn't give you strong government. It guarantees that nothing will change and millions won't have their voice heard.

'A third of British elections in the last fifty years have been caused by governments unable to deal with small or no majorities.'

Strong and Stable: the most politically stable democracies use PR - Make Votes Matter

8 hours ago, Formby said:

Not only is he a fraud and a hypocrite, he is also wrong. It doesn't give you strong government. It guarantees that nothing will change and millions won't have their voice heard.

'A third of British elections in the last fifty years have been caused by governments unable to deal with small or no majorities.'

Strong and Stable: the most politically stable democracies use PR - Make Votes Matter

He's a liar and a snake and I will never give my vote to Labour while he's leader.

I've gone for labour after much deliberation. It's very much a head decision though and one I'm not comfortable making.

Choosing a party or not based on a leader I find a bit strange, it should be on policies. It's not that simple obviously but that's not the reason I did. The reason I did is that time after time in recent years, this county has repeatedly shown that it doesn't know what's good for it. Also my preferred party and 2nd choice showed to me that they're clueless as to how to run a country when they can't handle TV debates. 

It'll be the last time though for Labour as a party if they don't step up. Which they won't, Tory lite isn't going to do anything to rock the boat (forgive the unintended pun) I don't think and a little boring and stability is going to be needed for several years whilst the country unfucks itself financially. I just hope the alternatives get their acts together and that Tory lite bring us back from the cliff edge so that an alternative and inexperienced party can take over when the country is a bit more stable.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've gone for labour after much deliberation. It's very much a head decision though and one I'm not comfortable making.

Choosing a party or not based on a leader I find a bit strange, it should be on policies. It's not that simple obviously but that's not the reason I did. The reason I did is that time after time in recent years, this county has repeatedly shown that it doesn't know what's good for it. Also my preferred party and 2nd choice showed to me that they're clueless as to how to run a country when they can't handle TV debates. 

It'll be the last time though for Labour as a party if they don't step up. Which they won't, Tory lite isn't going to do anything to rock the boat (forgive the unintended pun) I don't think and a little boring and stability is going to be needed for several years whilst the country unfucks itself financially. I just hope the alternatives get their acts together and that Tory lite bring us back from the cliff edge so that an alternative and inexperienced party can take over when the country is a bit more stable.

I fear the country will never be stable again for me it’s all down hill regardless of who is in government. 

Having spent two weeks in Britain at the beginning of the month, I was able to watch UK news and learn about the upcoming election. Despite concerns over leaders (no party appears to have a leader I would want to support), I do think it's going to be a landslide for Labour. I suspect the Liberal Democrats will improve but be disappointed. I'm most worried about the rise of the UK Reform Party, which I suspect will do disturbingly well. It's rather scary to see the rise of extreme right blowhards who seek to align with Putin and other autocrats. Britain has stood against extremists in the past; I only hope we have the courage to do so again.

I've mentioned before that I was once an approved parliamentary candidate in Britain, and for years, after moving to the US, I maintained a keen interest in British politics. Over the last two or three decades, though, I've really lost touch.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Having spent two weeks in Britain at the beginning of the month, I was able to watch UK news and learn about the upcoming election. Despite concerns over leaders (no party appears to have a leader I would want to support), I do think it's going to be a landslide for Labour. I suspect the Liberal Democrats will improve but be disappointed. I'm most worried about the rise of the UK Reform Party, which I suspect will do disturbingly well. It's rather scary to see the rise of extreme right blowhards who seek to align with Putin and other autocrats. Britain has stood against extremists in the past; I only hope we have the courage to do so again.

I've mentioned before that I was once an approved parliamentary candidate in Britain, and for years, after moving to the US, I maintained a keen interest in British politics. Over the last two or three decades, though, I've really lost touch.

You're at the same level as our politicians then.