IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Our most valuable striker was Rooney as he scored the most and earnt is the most points.

our most efficient striker was Niasse as he had the best goals per minutes.

He probably scored more from midfield didnt he? 😂

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stat-explains-exactly-wayne-rooney-14398366.amp

I missed this when it happened, but it's pretty damning. Really should have never been taking penalties for us to begin with (though I'll be forever grateful for the one he notched against the shite).

The fact is, he scored some timely goals that helped us quite a lot in the first half of the season. But if you go back to that first half of the season, plenty of us were complaining then about his propensity to make bad passes and give the ball away. He's slow, tries to do a bit too much because he wants to prove that he still has it, and seems to have his morale easily shaken in his advanced age as his skills decrease.

If we think that the occasional flash of vision, ocassional ability to find himself in good space around the penalty box (this accounts for pretty much all his non-penalty goals minus the one against City and the strike from midfield), and his leadership qualities are enough to keep him around another year, so be it.

Personally I don't think those contributions are going to do much to move us forward and improve our league position. They were helpful for a side that was floundering and needed points against the run of play, but I think his legs and his 77% pass accuracy are a detriment to a side that wants to play consistent attacking football.

2 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stat-explains-exactly-wayne-rooney-14398366.amp

I missed this when it happened, but it's pretty damning. Really should have never been taking penalties for us to begin with (though I'll be forever grateful for the one he notched against the shite).

The fact is, he scored some timely goals that helped us quite a lot in the first half of the season. But if you go back to that first half of the season, plenty of us were complaining then about his propensity to make bad passes and give the ball away. He's slow, tries to do a bit too much because he wants to prove that he still has it, and seems to have his morale easily shaken in his advanced age as his skills decrease.

If we think that the occasional flash of vision, ocassional ability to find himself in good space around the penalty box (this accounts for pretty much all his non-penalty goals minus the one against City and the strike from midfield), and his leadership qualities are enough to keep him around another year, so be it.

Personally I don't think those contributions are going to do much to move us forward and improve our league position. They were helpful for a side that was floundering and needed points against the run of play, but I think his legs and his 77% pass accuracy are a detriment to a side that wants to play consistent attacking football.

Yes because Baines was injured for most of the penalties he took and Rooney has proved himself to be a penalty taker for club and country, with Baines injured who do suggest should have had the responsibility of taking the penalties first half of the season and why.

Also first half of the season he was in top 3-4 in man of the match votes, now I'm not for one moment try to suggest that makes him a great player to be honest that isn'tt a great achievement in a team that where poor at best.

But to be fair to him he ran himself into the ground and dragged others along, scored the most goals and not by default added the most points and I believe kept us a float first half of the season.

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

Gylfi, Rooney isn’t and never had been a good penalty taker. He always seemed to get the responsibility because he is good under pressure and his stature in the team. He misses on a regular basis. 

But what was wrong with the pens he took.

12 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I am not his greatest fan but there is no need to demonise him is there?  Just what has he done wrong that anyone else would not have done in the same situation?

OK I get that you will not miss him or his skills or his goals or whatever, but vitriolic abuse is not necessary he was on the terraces long before he was on the pitch, and that makes him one of us.

Exactly this.

16 minutes ago, rubecula said:

Just what has he done wrong that anyone else would not have done in the same situation?

I will never leave Everton аt my own will. He did it at 18 fucking years and 50 games in hand for his beloved club. And now he did it again after one season. I don't mind, he's doing what is good for him, and I'm OK with that, but all the claims how big fan of Everton he is, is just too much for me.

1 minute ago, Haiku said:

I will never leave Everton аt my own will. He did it at 18 fucking years and 50 games in hand for his beloved club. 

Looking at the likes of Leeds, Portsmouth, Sunderland and now Villa - I’m glad he did. We were desperate for the money when Rooney was sold - thank god we had a manager, in Moyes, who worked so well with such a small budget for so long. Things could have been very different.

12 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I will never leave Everton аt my own will. He did it at 18 fucking years and 50 games in hand for his beloved club. And now he did it again after one season. I don't mind, he's doing what is good for him, and I'm OK with that, but all the claims how big fan of Everton he is, is just too much for me.

no idea what you do for a living, but I am pretty sure if you were offered a lot more money for doing the same job, you would accept it and it would not affect who you support …. or maybe you do not work?

I don't drink Jack Daniels whiskey, but if they offered me an opportunity that my current employer didn't, I'd take the job and keep drinking what I like. There is business and there is personal,  or love and money, sometimes they have to be separate. I'll just wear my Everton gear instead of my Atlanta United gear when DC United come to the ATL. 

I just dont agree with the suggestion that he is furious that he wont be considered a regular next season and that he isnt happy to spend more time on the bench. 

I am sure it is just paper talk that he is so unhappy about with the club for that however if it is true then he can well and truly fuck off. 

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I just dont agree with the suggestion that he is furious that he wont be considered a regular next season and that he isnt happy to spend more time on the bench. 

I am sure it is just paper talk that he is so unhappy about with the club for that however if it is true then he can well and truly fuck off. 

That’s his and the clubs business and business isn’t an emotional commitment but being a supporter or fan is, so him and the club can sort the business out between themselves and he can still be a fan, what ever the result of there negotiations are. 

I'd still like to see what he could do in a decent side playing half decent football. He came back into a shit storm which was not his fault. Noticeable that his form dipped second half of the season as like most of our players he struggled to make sense of fat heads non-football. Think it'd be a shame for him to leave on this note myself, he'd still score goals for us. 

6 minutes ago, nogs said:

I'd still like to see what he could do in a decent side playing half decent football. He came back into a shit storm which was not his fault. Noticeable that his form dipped second half of the season as like most of our players he struggled to make sense of fat heads non-football. Think it'd be a shame for him to leave on this note myself, he'd still score goals for us. 

I agree.