IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Would the results have been any different with Davies in the side? What did Gana do during the run for these wins that was above and beyond the job of any midfielder we have on the books? 

You know when players win the ball from opponents.... it gives us the platform to score and takes away the opportunity to score for the other team... he does that at a ridiculous rate.

He's had plaudits from every pundit going but Pete called him crap years ago so he needs to try and make that stick. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Would the results have been any different with Davies in the side? What did Gana do during the run for these wins that was above and beyond the job of any midfielder we have on the books? 

Think it could have been at 1-0, Gana tackles Lukaku bursting in on goal, nut megged pogba and played a 70 yard ball with the outside of his left foot to siggy for a simple finish.

or it was a simple ball for a world class finish but you get the point!

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

So the main thing he done was make one pass any midfielder could in a game we were already winning. 

Question Pete..... do you know more than his manager, ex players, commentators who pretty much in unison have said he is vital to us playing well? 

You do understand that Gomes was missing and without him we dominated the midfield..... explain that..... oh let me guess it was all down to schneiderlein.

On a serious note.... you do realise that your issue in all of this is you can't handle being wrong? 

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

So the main thing he done was make one pass any midfielder could in a game we were already winning. 

PeteO it makes absolutely no difference if we’re winning to a professional footballer. That’s what makes them a step above the likes of me and you.

We get caught up in the emotions of it and think we’re Roy of the Rovers. They handle the pressure professionally. Now of course they will make mistakes and let emotions occasionally cloud them... their human too..., but generally that’s why players end up where they are.

I played last night and people were asking who I played for, as they thought I must have been pro when younger. My technical ability was far ahead of most players I watch today, but my mentality wasn’t anywhere near premier level. Scored a worldie last night..... missed a sitter.... left four players on their ass with dummies and nutmegged myself with a simple pass on.

Errr not sure where I was going with this haha... tired and aching.... confused..... 

where am I?

Thats it... a simple assist, is the same ball when winning or losing. The same players are closing down on you, and you have the same time. In that moment, the score is always 0-0.

I was all for cashing in on Gana in January - a time when actually his form had dropped off a bit - though the whole team looked lost. I’m so glad that Marco et al stuck to their guns and kept him because he has been sensational since. I would say he’s playing the best he ever has for us, not just for the tackles/interceptions but also for the part he’s been playing in setting up attacks. I don’t know what will happen in the summer but I’d be delighted if we could keep hold of him now as there aren’t many better.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I was all for cashing in on Gana in January - a time when actually his form had dropped off a bit - though the whole team looked lost. I’m so glad that Marco et al stuck to their guns and kept him because he has been sensational since. I would say he’s playing the best he ever has for us, not just for the tackles/interceptions but also for the part he’s been playing in setting up attacks. I don’t know what will happen in the summer but I’d be delighted if we could keep hold of him now as there aren’t many better.

I think I mentioned it before but keeping him is essential so I’d throw money at him with a specific clause in his contract for the January window if we fail to live up to expectations 

Still waiting for that exhaustive list of exceptional things he's done to contribute above and beyond what Davies would have done. 

Should add the pass, the one to Sigurdssen is actually quite poor, it slowed the attack. Sigurdssen does very well to score given the service and how far out he is, lovely strike, but at the same time it's poor from the opposition to leave him that much space. 

Gana played during the period we were poor, was he not responsible for our lack of tempo going forward as well as giving changes away too easily? 

United were terrible. Look at the space they give us, their players weren't up for it and their manager was shocking putting rashford and Lindelof against Bernard and Digne. 

We've come across one team up for it in recent weeks and we got beat comfortably 2 nil. Why did Fulham beat us? 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Still waiting for that exhaustive list of exceptional things he's done to contribute above and beyond what Davies would have done. 

Should add the pass, the one to Sigurdssen is actually quite poor, it slowed the attack. Sigurdssen does very well to score given the service and how far out he is, lovely strike, but at the same time it's poor from the opposition to leave him that much space. 

Gana played during the period we were poor, was he not responsible for our lack of tempo going forward as well as giving changes away too easily? 

United were terrible. Look at the space they give us, their players weren't up for it and their manager was shocking putting rashford and Lindelof against Bernard and Digne. 

We've come across one team up for it in recent weeks and we got beat comfortably 2 nil. Why did Fulham beat us? 

Pete....

If you were on of those flat earth conspiracy attention seekers (which ironically I actually think you are doing this for now)..... NASA could send you up in a shuttle and point at the earth and ask you what shape it is..... you would still say flat. 

It's actually beyond the point of intelligence debating this with you but to a large degree most of us have probably found this thread humorous....... it's what we do for shits and giggles to see how far you can take this nonsense. You don't fail us! 

Did you ever get to watch Paul Bracewell play for us? 

33 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Pete....

If you were on of those flat earth conspiracy attention seekers (which ironically I actually think you are doing this for now)..... NASA could send you up in a shuttle and point at the earth and ask you what shape it is..... you would still say flat. 

It's actually beyond the point of intelligence debating this with you but to a large degree most of us have probably found this thread humorous....... it's what we do for shits and giggles to see how far you can take this nonsense. You don't fail us! 

Did you ever get to watch Paul Bracewell play for us? 

You use flat earth as a reference but it'd be more likely if we were born 100s of years ago you'd be in the majority thinking it was whilst I butted my head against a wall trying to explain the bigger picture. 

Nope. Bracewell was before my time. Late 90s onwards for me. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

You use flat earth as a reference but it'd be more likely if we were born 100s of years ago you'd be in the majority thinking it was whilst I butted my head against a wall trying to explain the bigger picture. 

That’s because hundreds of years ago, no one had ever turned around and looked at the earth. Now we can.

Question though. Why isn’t Davies getting into the team? 

37 minutes ago, Shukes said:

That’s because hundreds of years ago, no one had ever turned around and looked at the earth. Now we can.

Question though. Why isn’t Davies getting into the team? 

Because we've got a manager who doesn't trust in youth. No debuts this season, and all the kids have less minutes than they got last year other than Lookman (who has 552 minutes this year). The only one getting a decent amount is DCL but that was only after the manager trying to play Richarlison out of position and Tosun over him. Giving both of them more chances than they deserved. Picking an injured Baines over Kenny as well. Davies has only been given minutes due to Gomes not being fit at the start of the season and Gana's head getting wobbled. 

Very rarely does the manager go away from the 451 system either, same players every week, same tactics every week. Better managers will change things up depending on strengths and weaknesses. How many on here say they don't want Gana against bottom half teams, they want an attack minded player on as we expect to have more of the ball. Yet Silva does the same thing regardless of opposition. 

Unsure if I've misheard but isn'tt this the first time we've not had one of our own play in either Derby. In a season we're the team have been said to lack passion and not play for the shirt. Koeman was ousted for not getting Everton and so was Alladyce. Why is Silva getting such an easy ride when the gap between us and 6th isn'tt any smaller? 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Starting 11 age

Pickford - 25

Digne - 25

Keane - 26

Zouma - 24

Coleman - 31

Gana - 29

Gomes - 25

Richarlison - 21

Bernard - 26

DCL - 22

thats a pretty good balance of kids, experience and players in their prime. 

Age of the rest of the players used:

Kenny - 22

Mina - 24

Jagielka - 36

Baines - 34

Schneiderlin - 29

McCarthy - 28

Davies - 20

Walcott - 30

Lookman - 21

Tosun - 27

Youth players with more minutes than last year: 1; Lookman. 

Youth players with less minutes than last year: 5+; Holgate, Kenny, Baningime, Davies, Vlasic, DCL (although will be roughly the same if plays next three). 

Debutants given: 0

13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Age of the rest of the players used:

Kenny - 22

Mina - 24

Jagielka - 36

Baines - 34

Schneiderlin - 29

McCarthy - 28

Davies - 20

Walcott - 30

Lookman - 21

Tosun - 27

Youth players with more minutes than last year: 1; Lookman. 

Youth players with less minutes than last year: 5+; Holgate, Kenny, Baningime, Davies, Vlasic, DCL (although will be roughly the same if plays next three). 

Debutants given: 0

Holgate -- getting more minutes at WBA than he would have here. Smart to send him on loan as we have 4 senior CBs and 2 capable (natural) right-backs.

Beni -- has made one appearance for Wigan. How many times have we expected players to be the next best thing only to not make it?

Vlasic -- wanted more minutes than he would've gotten here so it was the right decision to send him on loan.

Davies is the only one you could possibly make an argument about, but he's not as good as Gomes, Schneiderlin, and yes, Gana (an opinion that most pundits/coaches/teammates/fans/etc. would agree with).

At this point, I really think you're just trolling. You can't honestly say you know anything about football and still not see what Gana brings to the team.

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

Starting 11 age

Pickford - 25

Digne - 25

Keane - 26

Zouma - 24

Coleman - 31

Gana - 29

Gomes - 25

Richarlison - 21

Bernard - 26

DCL - 22

thats a pretty good balance of kids, experience and players in their prime. 

When did we start fielding only 10 players 😳. Our joint top scorer Siggy is missing, think he is 27.

I'm all for playing youth as long as it's in both the team and their benefit, DCL has taken a while to find his form, and JonJoe has looked a decent back up for Seamus, could have been a replacement when Seamus's form dropped, and Tom has been ok when played, although many on here don't think he is good enough.

6 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

When did we start fielding only 10 players 😳. Our joint top scorer Siggy is missing, think he is 27.

I'm all for playing youth as long as it's in both the team and their benefit, DCL has taken a while to find his form, and JonJoe has looked a decent back up for Seamus, could have been a replacement when Seamus's form dropped, and Tom has been ok when played, although many on here don't think he is good enough.

Knew I’d missed someone. Hard to do it all on my phone!

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Because we've got a manager who doesn't trust in youth. No debuts this season, and all the kids have less minutes than they got last year other than Lookman (who has 552 minutes this year). The only one getting a decent amount is DCL but that was only after the manager trying to play Richarlison out of position and Tosun over him. Giving both of them more chances than they deserved. Picking an injured Baines over Kenny as well. Davies has only been given minutes due to Gomes not being fit at the start of the season and Gana's head getting wobbled. 

Very rarely does the manager go away from the 451 system either, same players every week, same tactics every week. Better managers will change things up depending on strengths and weaknesses. How many on here say they don't want Gana against bottom half teams, they want an attack minded player on as we expect to have more of the ball. Yet Silva does the same thing regardless of opposition. 

Unsure if I've misheard but isn'ttt this the first time we've not had one of our own play in either Derby. In a season we're the team have been said to lack passion and not play for the shirt. Koeman was ousted for not getting Everton and so was Alladyce. Why is Silva getting such an easy ride when the gap between us and 6th isn'ttt any smaller? 

I had to stop reading when you said he picked Baines a left back over Kenny a right back 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

If you watched bracewell you are looking at an earlier version of Gueye.....  he won 2 leagues an fa cup and a ecwc and he was critical to us. 7 goals in 95 games..... awesome tackler. Great engine.....

10 minutes ago, hafnia said:

If you watched bracewell you are looking at an earlier version of Gueye.....  he won 2 leagues an fa cup and a ecwc and he was critical to us. 7 goals in 95 games..... awesome tackler. Great engine.....

Take your point and agree he was a great player but saying he won two championships is a bit of a stretch when in 86/87 he didn't kick a ball all season due to a broken leg.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Take your point and agree he was a great player but saying he won two championships is a bit of a stretch when in 86/87 he didn't kick a ball all season due to a broken leg.

That's right Billy Whitehurst..... cruciate... finished him. 

This youth argument is nonsense. Brands and Silva clearly have a long-term plan to reduce the age of the squad - they’ve already got rid of ‘older’ players with no future which is ongoing and not an easy task due to many factors. I feel Davies is peteO’s main qualm - I personally don’t think he’s good enough to start each week and certainly not better than Gana, Gomes or Gylfi - I’d have maybe picked him ahead of Schneiderlin but credit where it’s due, he’s done well when called upon and the choice was certainly justified on Sunday. Kenny isn’t great in my opinion - I like him as back-up but nothing more - I prefer Holgate and his loan at WBA is proving a great success. Who new should be getting a chance? I’m pretty sure if there was someone ready now, they’d get a chance.... u18 - u23 is a massive step-up - u23 - first team is a giant leap. We’ve got too many players as it is so seeing new talent making that leap this season was always going to be highly unlikely.

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

You ask for exceptional, it’s not that he does anything exceptional. He does everything very simply, very easily. And he does it often and consistently. Can you name many other players who do all of the simple things well and pretty much every week? You are looking for him to stand out, that isn’t the point. It’s that he should blend in. He should not be seen, he should just pop up, get the ball back, move it on and disappear again. You just don’t understand that. If you don’t understand the benefit of doing things simply and often then I don’t think you understand teamwork.