IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

14 hours ago, Shukes said:

100% agree. 
His best form was when we had creative players in the team doing it for him.

Thos season we have that. If he struggles now, then it’s all his own doing. 
Will be interesting to see how this develops.

It's... It's almost like forwards and strikers need their teammates to create chances for them for the most part. Lazy bastards.

Let's be fair - the chances he was getting when we had James Rodriguez and Richarlison in the team would have seen Neal Maupay battling for golden boot. Was like fishing in a barrel 

I've never seen him as a goal scorer cos he's not a good finisher, he's a very good target man and link up player who gets us up the pitch. 

16 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Let's be fair - the chances he was getting when we had James Rodriguez and Richarlison in the team would have seen Neal Maupay battling for golden boot. Was like fishing in a barrel 

I've never seen him as a goal scorer cos he's not a good finisher, he's a very good target man and link up player who gets us up the pitch. 

His finish against Roma is another example of his finishing not being as bad as is made out. It's not his strength but it's not bad. 

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

His finish against Roma is another example of his finishing not being as bad as is made out. It's not his strength but it's not bad. 

His finish the other week is also an example. Yeah all strikers can score - it's the reliability that counts. Yakubu was one of the best I've seen 

Just now, Hafnia said:

His finish the other week is also an example. Yeah all strikers can score - it's the reliability that counts. Yakubu was one of the best I've seen 

Yeah it's not great nor close to his biggest strength. Just saying it's not as bad as some have made out.

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah it's not great nor close to his biggest strength. Just saying it's not as bad as some have made out.

Not reliable - that's my thing. Scores ones you don't expect and misses ones you do expect to score.  It's why Liverpool fans get frustrated with Nunez 

59 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Not reliable - that's my thing. Scores ones you don't expect and misses ones you do expect to score.  It's why Liverpool fans get frustrated with Nunez 

I completely get it but the way some go on you'd think his finishing was Sunday league and it just isn't. He can definitely improve on consistency but that takes practice and practice means opportunities which isn't something he's had for years. As you said, when he did have golden chances he filled his boots, so that tells me the problem is more with the squad creating and it's something we've struggled with for a decade.

Carlo had DCL right when he managed him. Play him in the penalty area and he will score more goals. I think Dom is an instinct player, the more time he has to make a decision the more he over thinks things. Play him where it's all instinct and his natural ability and physical strengths can be more effective. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I completely get it but the way some go on you'd think his finishing was Sunday league and it just isn't. He can definitely improve on consistency but that takes practice and practice means opportunities which isn't something he's had for years. As you said, when he did have golden chances he filled his boots, so that tells me the problem is more with the squad creating and it's something we've struggled with for a decade.

Not being funny mate - I'd have scored the majority of those chances he got. He must have been gutted when Rodriquez was let go. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not being funny mate - I'd have scored the majority of those chances he got. He must have been gutted when Rodriquez was let go. 

As well as James and Richarlison new had Gylfi and Digne in there too. And a younger Seamus. 
The attacking threat we’ve lost in a short space of time is scandalous. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

As well as James and Richarlison new had Gylfi and Digne in there too. And a younger Seamus. 
The attacking threat we’ve lost in a short space of time is scandalous. 

Gordon too. If our attacking players are above a certain level we struggle to hold on to them. Sad reality 

12 hours ago, Matt said:

It was very out of character for him though. Think back on how many times he’s done that in his Everton career. I cannot think of many. 

18 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It was very out of character for him though. Think back on how many times he’s done that in his Everton career. I cannot think of many. 

How many chances has he had like that? He's basically been a battering ram or target man since Ancelotti left. He's always been good with his feet, and yes his shooting is frustrating but it will improve when there are more chances to work with. 

Edit: I've always been a believer in playing to your main goal threats strengths. This isn't new for Dom.

20 hours ago, Matt said:

How many chances has he had like that? He's basically been a battering ram or target man since Ancelotti left. He's always been good with his feet, and yes his shooting is frustrating but it will improve when there are more chances to work with. 

Edit: I've always been a believer in playing to your main goal threats strengths. This isn't new for Dom.

His shooting has never improved though. Dom has his attributes but he doesn’t beat a man often and he hardly ever scores from behind the penalty spot. This is year 9, he’s not some young pup we are hoping to develop.

The difference between Dom and a Harry Kane or whoever you like is that those elite guys will convert the chances their teammates provide but will also create their own offense at times. Dom doesn’t create offense. When he gets the ball 20 or 25 yards from goal do you think to yourself that there will be a real chance here? I personally don’t. Now think of Lukaku who was dangerous anytime he got 1 v 1 or was within shooting distance. 

I think most of us like a Dom but he’s limited and always will be.

20 hours ago, Matt said:

Part of the reason Maupay didn’t work is because we treated him like he was Dom and they are different players. Which is why he had decent success before he came to us and a good stretch on loan away from us.

16 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Part of the reason Maupay didn’t work is because we treated him like he was Dom and they are different players. Which is why he had decent success before he came to us and a good stretch on loan away from us.

But that won’t change under Dyche that’s how he sets his team up with the big man up front battling for the long ball, that’s how played at Burnley and that’s how he’s played here, and that’s why when he got his opportunity in the market he bought Beto. 

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Maupay could do a job behind Dom / Beto & would have him over Doucs right now. He should never be our starting 9 with how we play though.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

But that won’t change under Dyche that’s how he sets his team up with the big man up front battling for the long ball, that’s how played at Burnley and that’s how he’s played here, and that’s why when he got his opportunity in the market he bought Beto. 

I agree, I’m just making the point that it wasn’t so much that Maupay was awful (even though the results were) he just isn’t a good fit for that system. 

I always thought Dom would be most effective with a second striker but we haven’t seen much of that and I don’t think we can expect to.

7 minutes ago, Btay said:

Maupay could do a job behind Dom / Beto & would have him over Doucs right now. He should never be our starting 9 with how we play though.

Agreed. If you look at his per 90m stats in the premier league he’s about a 1 in 3 guy. Not spectacular but useful. Everywhere except with us.

1 minute ago, Gwlad said:

Not going into the analytics (I can't) maybe, just maybe Maupay can step  up. And we have Chermiti.   

Maupay could step up in a different system as Sparty has been saying. 
The problem for Maupay is Dyche isn’t going to change the system he’s used all through his managerial career to play to Maupay’s strengths, we saw that before he went out on loan, when he was expected to play the same as Dom when Dom was injured. 

46 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Agreed. If you look at his per 90m stats in the premier league he’s about a 1 in 3 guy. Not spectacular but useful. Everywhere except with us.

Exactly, won’t push us in to the top 6 but he is an option off the bench in that role IMO.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Maupay could step up in a different system as Sparty has been saying. 
The problem for Maupay is Dyche isn’t going to change the system he’s used all through his managerial career to play to Maupay’s strengths, we saw that before he went out on loan, when he was expected to play the same as Dom when Dom was injured. 

Oh do tell so we can shoot this myth down again. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh do tell so we can shoot this myth down again. 

Looking at Maupay not a fan of his but when I look at our squad we may actually need him this season. 
can’t believe we haven’t brought in any fullbacks 

Just now, patto said:

Looking at Maupay not a fan of his but when I look at our squad we may actually need him this season. 
can’t believe we haven’t brought in any fullbacks 

I liked him, I thought he was a good addition. Pretty sure he could be a much better player if not for his apparent attitude.