IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Calm down mate, no need to get all emotional and upset. It’s just a discussion on football that’s all. 

My comment about you knowing players was genuine. I honestly was interested. 

Who's upset? Oh Wait there.......

oh that's bullying playground stuff, I don't do all that etc etc

Get in the sunshine sunshine x 

40 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Who's upset? Oh Wait there.......

oh that's bullying playground stuff, I don't do all that etc etc

Get in the sunshine sunshine x 

It was a joke Haf ffs haha. You have the sense of humour of a brick haha.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Not all about you Palfy 😉 I mean in general fans believe the media when it supports them, and not when it goes against what they feel. It’s human nature, I do it and you do it, and so does everyone else mate. 

A lot of fans believe he made unrealistic pay demands to Newcastle, although nothing came from him, Newcastle or his agents. Yet when it’s said that Man Utd, Arsenal and champions league clubs have shown an interest…. It’s just media talk and not real. That’s my point mate. 

Personally I think it’s all a load of made up crap from people thinking they have heard rumours and need to make money to sell media haha. 

Well stop preaching what you’ve heard in the media as fact, or misinterpreting what people have actually said in interviews or podcasts you nutter👍😁

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well stop preaching what you’ve heard in the media as fact, or misinterpreting what people have actually said in interviews or podcasts you nutter👍😁

I’m not mate, I’m pointing out that it all depends on what web site you look at, or what paper you read that they are all making it up as they go along. 
The easiest way to explain is to do it yourself and wait for someone to point it out 😉 

I thank you for that mate.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’m not mate, I’m pointing out that it all depends on what web site you look at, or what paper you read that they are all making it up as they go along. 
The easiest way to explain is to do it yourself and wait for someone to point it out 😉 

I thank you for that mate.

You are very welcome as always 👍

On 28/07/2024 at 14:56, Palfy said:

Everton haven’t shut the door on offers for Dom, Man Utd haven’t shown any interest just paper talk, Arsenal definitely haven’t since a year ago, I don’t know these European clubs who have shown interest maybe you could enlighten me to who they and how you come by that information. 
Newcastle did have discussions with the club and player, Eddie Howe has been an admirer of his for years, but when wage demands didn’t fall inline with Newcastle’s any further discussions stopped. 
Regardless of whether I like him or not, which I have deliberately avoided getting into so I can’t see how you have come to the conclusion that what I said was how I feel personally about him as a player, my opinion was that he seems to be looking for the best money he can get on his last big contract to take him into the next 4-5 years of his career, he’s not going to base whether he stays here or leaves on medals and cups but his bank balance, of course he won’t be sat at the negotiating table with his agent, but he would have had in depth discussions with his agent on what he wants and is willing to accept, and when the club and his agent have thrashed out a deal he will still have the final say on whether he signs it not his agent. 
Personally if we have offered him a 135K a week 4 year contract he should take, but I can understand the lure of walking on a free next year with a huge signing on fee of say 10 million and 7 million a year on a 4 year contract that would be a great deal for him, and an even a better deal for who ever signs him. 

135k a week are you serious he’s gone down the Holgate route thinks he’s better than he is from what I’ve seen so far he’s had about 5 good chances and not finished 1. 
if we offer him a big contract we are in serious trouble 

1 hour ago, patto said:

135k a week are you serious he’s gone down the Holgate route thinks he’s better than he is from what I’ve seen so far he’s had about 5 good chances and not finished 1. 

How? We'd be nailing down an asset on a longer contract, increasing his book value and and sale into that new contract is an improvement for PSR. Big trouble is when you have an owner who hires people then ignores them.

1 hour ago, patto said:

Not sure what you’re watching mate, but he looks crestfallen at the moment. He does t look at all like he tho is he’s better than he is….. it’s the absolute opposite.

People will start believing you don’t like him 😉

20 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Not sure what you’re watching mate, but he looks crestfallen at the moment. He does t look at all like he tho is he’s better than he is….. it’s the absolute opposite.

People will start believing you don’t like him 😉

No it’s not about me not liking him he doesn’t want to be here he’s not a goal scorer so why would we offer him a 25m contract and hope he stays fit its madness we are trying to get our wage bill down. 
if no one comes in for him I wouldn’t offer him another contract. 
maybe extend his current contract but by no means give him a pay rise extend it by 1 year if he doesn’t like it let him walk next summer but that’s a chance he will have to take if he breaks down in his last year he’s fkd then. 

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

How? We'd be nailing down an asset on a longer contract, increasing his book value and and sale into that new contract is an improvement for PSR. Big trouble is when you have an owner who hires people then ignores them.

We all need to forget about PSR..the door is closed. 
yes, there will be  new model which is more focused on expense to revenue ratios...but PSR is irrelevant now. 

41 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

We all need to forget about PSR..the door is closed. 
yes, there will be  new model which is more focused on expense to revenue ratios...but PSR is irrelevant now. 

Oh? Since when?

2 hours ago, patto said:

No it’s not about me not liking him he doesn’t want to be here he’s not a goal scorer so why would we offer him a 25m contract and hope he stays fit its madness we are trying to get our wage bill down. 
if no one comes in for him I wouldn’t offer him another contract. 
maybe extend his current contract but by no means give him a pay rise extend it by 1 year if he doesn’t like it let him walk next summer but that’s a chance he will have to take if he breaks down in his last year he’s fkd then. 

But you’re the only person saying he doesn’t want to be here Patto.

Meanwhile he is in every single kit reveal video, turned up for training on the first day, then lays in the friendlys. And is currently in talks for a new contract.

Honestly mate, do you honestly know somebody ITK who he told he doesn’t want to be here? 

The manager seems to rate him, coaches seem to rate him, most fans seem to rate him. Don’t get me wrong, FB users don’t rate him…. But with all respect most of them just follow what the previous poster says to get friends. 

I just don’t get it that’s all. 

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Meanwhile he is in every single kit reveal video, turned up for training on the first day, then lays in the friendlys. And is currently in talks for a new contract.

Honestly mate, do you honestly know somebody ITK who he told he doesn’t want to be here? 

The manager seems to rate him, coaches seem to rate him, most fans seem to rate him. Don’t get me wrong, FB users don’t rate him…. But with all respect most of them just follow what the previous poster says to get friends. 

The contract has been on the table for months why  do you think he hasn’t signed it we have nursed him for nearly two years and he’s wanting a bigger contract. 
I’ll be disappointed if he stays even Alan myers said he doesn’t expect him to sign a new contract now he must hear things from within the club. 

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Who does really, if he signs a new contract with us then great a 4 year deal might could cost us 28 million in wages, if and whether he comes good again is the gamble, but that’s the same gamble we take if we buy someone for 25 million and pay them 20-24 million over 4 years we could be no better off in front of goal and significantly worse off in the bank, Beto is evidence of that. 
Stay or go it’s a gamble, but for his own good he needs to sort his game out in front of goal his finishing is frankly embarrassing, I can’t remember seeing anyone who’s played up front for us strike the ball so poorly, he scuffs and drags his attempts consistently, and any manager who’s watched him over the last 12 months imo would be crazy to consider buying him, for the sort of money we are asking and the wages him and his entourage think he’s worth. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Who does really, if he signs a new contract with us then great a 4 year deal might could cost us 28 million in wages, if and whether he comes good again is the gamble, but that’s the same gamble we take if we buy someone for 25 million and pay them 20-24 million over 4 years we could be no better off in front of goal and significantly worse off in the bank, Beto is evidence of that. 
Stay or go it’s a gamble, but for his own good he needs to sort his game out in front of goal his finishing is frankly embarrassing, I can’t remember seeing anyone who’s played up front for us strike the ball so poorly, he scuffs and drags his attempts consistently, and any manager who’s watched him over the last 12 months imo would be crazy to consider buying him, for the sort of money we are asking and the wages him and his entourage think he’s worth. 

Ditto

1 hour ago, patto said:

The contract has been on the table for months why  do you think he hasn’t signed it we have nursed him for nearly two years and he’s wanting a bigger contract. 
I’ll be disappointed if he stays even Alan myers said he doesn’t expect him to sign a new contract now he must hear things from within the club. 

Because he wants the best contract he can get, same as Branthwaite and every other single player out there. This isn’t out of the normal, this is very normal. Contract discussions are exactly that. 

Isn’t the latest news to come out of the club that they are expecting him to sign a contract? Sure someone already linked it a couple of pages ago. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Exactly mate. This is what I’m saying. 
Why would we risk double the money we would need to pay for DCL on someone that might put is in a worse situation that we’re in now. Absolute madness. 

I also agree with his form being the lowest I can remember. His miss last week wasn’t just bad, it was terrible. 
But I do believe there is a player there.

I also don’t buy into this the, he doesn’t want to be here when he is doing everything to suggest he wants to be here. I’m 50 years old and have been in many contract discussions. Rarely have I ever been offered the right contract at the very start. And I’m known to be a salesman’s dream haha. I usually talk prices up haha. 

It’s always a sign of how people react when other players do the same. It’s been in the media that Branthwaite wants close to what Man Utd offered him. But because he is the clubs darling at the moment…. It’s fine for him to ask to be the highest paid player on the club by far.

Just now, Hafnia said:

I'm not bothered either way tbh. If he's not signing then get him sold - if he's staying then sign. 

Either way get it done asap.  Can't be arsed with sentimental F.C nonsense. 

So you don’t rate him either then? 

Who do you think we should replace him with?

Broja maybe. 
Abrahams.

Ill be honest I’m not up to date with current prospects and this is why I worry if he goes.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

His return has been poor the last several years and he’s no longer young in the game. No matter what anyone thinks that reality is inescapable. He’s been a significantly below average premier league striker for a while. Continuing to offer him increased wages is just holding the club hostage. He’s a backup striker on a good team. 

35 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

His return has been poor the last several years and he’s no longer young in the game. No matter what anyone thinks that reality is inescapable. He’s been a significantly below average premier league striker for a while. Continuing to offer him increased wages is just holding the club hostage. He’s a backup striker on a good team. 

I think managers and coaches most likely look at players differently than we do. And because of this he will either be our first team striker, or another premier league club will come in and pay 30m for him. I’m pretty certain that I am going to be right on this one. 

Keep this one ready to hit me with. I won’t be able to get away with it that way haha.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

So you don’t rate him either then? 

Who do you think we should replace him with?

Broja maybe. 
Abrahams.

Ill be honest I’m not up to date with current prospects and this is why I worry if he goes.

I'm not like you shukes, I don't get as emotionally attached.. there's a small number of players I've been gutted to see go :- Rooney, Arteta, Richarlison, and maybe Naismith cos I thought he was a top example to others.  I'd be gutted to see branthwaite go cos he's world class. 

Dcl ain't in that bracket.  I'm not even getting into the "who do we replace him with" - not my job, don't know the budget, don't know who is a potential replacement.

what I do know is he's not signed the contract so we should sell rather than let him see his contract out and put himself in a situation where getting injured could cost him millions = not bust a gut for us. 

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Oh? Since when?

Sorry let me clarify my understanding…..we can still get hit with a PSR penalty this season (Points or whatever) for FY23/24 accounts. The prelim data shows that is not likely. So my comment was focused on cost related matters from July 1st.

What I was referring to was the new scheme which will start in FY24/25 - based on % to revenue and also some other element to be determined I believe. 

So I was making an assumption that Fy23/24 likely won’t incur a penalty and we shouldn’t be governed by PSR beyond that. 

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

Sorry let me clarify my understanding…..we can still get hit with a PSR penalty this season (Points or whatever) for FY23/24 accounts. The prelim data shows that is not likely. So my comment was focused on cost related matters from July 1st.

What I was referring to was the new scheme which will start in FY24/25 - based on % to revenue and also some other element to be determined I believe. 

So I was making an assumption that Fy23/24 likely won’t incur a penalty and we shouldn’t be governed by PSR beyond that. 

Aaah gotchya. I remember them voting on it but not that it was all formalised for this year. Cheers :)

On 31/07/2024 at 15:20, Hafnia said:

I'm not like you shukes, I don't get as emotionally attached.. there's a small number of players I've been gutted to see go :- Rooney, Arteta, Richarlison, and maybe Naismith cos I thought he was a top example to others.  I'd be gutted to see branthwaite go cos he's world class. 

Dcl ain't in that bracket.  I'm not even getting into the "who do we replace him with" - not my job, don't know the budget, don't know who is a potential replacement.

what I do know is he's not signed the contract so we should sell rather than let him see his contract out and put himself in a situation where getting injured could cost him millions = not bust a gut for us. 

That's because there's no obvious answer. Do we stick with a player whose track record has been less than stellar but many believe can do better (and avoid hefty agent fees), do we spend big money and wages on a goal-scorer who can thrive in the Premier League (not an option), or do we take a risk on a young lesser-known player from a different league (and pay agent fees and hear Patto complain when the scout gets it wrong)?

It's a tricky one. On balance, I do believe we should shake up our offense since it's been poor for multiple seasons, but it's going to be costly or risky or both.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

That's because there's no obvious answer. Do we stick with a player whose track record has been less than stellar but many believe can do better (and avoid hefty agent fees), do we spend big money and wages on a goal-scorer who can thrive in the Premier League (not an option), or do we take a risk on a young lesser-known player from a different league (and pay agent fees and hear Patto complain when the scout gets it wrong)?

It's a tricky one. On balance, I do believe we should shake up our offense since it's been poor for multiple seasons, but it's going to be costly or risky or both.

Missing my point.... I'm not arsed.

if he was irreplaceable then I would say offer him what he wants.  Thats why I would offer branthwaite £160k a week. 

Dcl isn't branthwaite - I trust our scouts to be able to get a player in for less than what we sell dcl for. Scouts have identified numerous players over the past few years that we could have got but didn't and are now worth far more.  It seems we are working in that market now. 

• 2 weeks later...