IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

35 minutes ago, StevO said:

We’ll Probably get about £30m for him, which isn’t bad considering he cost next to nothing, has one year left and fancies a move. I’d rather he stay, but might as well accept it and find a replacement. 

One of the links quoted 10-12M which is scandalous and prob just media nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

This will be a massive blow for us.

We better start being nice to Maupay then it looks like.

I don't think it would be a major blow at all. We have plenty of time to find young and hungry replacements. Look to the future!

As for Maupay, he'll be gone before the transfer window ends.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think you're likely to be pissed then.

Personally, I'm gutted.

Genuine question here. I get DCL seems a nice guy and has some attributes but why are some people so taken with him as a player?  Pretty underwhelming career. Scored more than 7 goals in the league twice, can’t really shoot or create an opportunity for himself etc.. Are we just afraid of not having a clear option if he did go?

34 minutes ago, patto said:

Seriously…..he owes the fans nothing he was getting slagged  for being injured over the past 2 seasons. 
he did Pat the EFC crest against Liverpool so that made my night. 
good luck to the lad I hope he stays fit. 

That's the crux of the matter. He's where he is now through Dyche and staff not rushing him back like previous management. Another club might not understand how to manage his fitness.

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

Genuine question here. I get DCL seems a nice guy and has some attributes but why are some people so taken with him as a player?  Pretty underwhelming career. Scored more than 7 goals in the league twice, can’t really shoot or create an opportunity for himself etc.. Are we just afraid of not having a clear option if he did go?

Because of his goals, footwork, work rate, relegation saving goal, several exciting seasons...

2 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He's been integral in us playing effective football.

I'm actually fairly excited about things after thinking since that post though. I feel we'll end up in a better position when the transfer window closes than we were when it opened.

So hear me out... Our transfer window going into BMD... DCL doesn't settle at the barcodes and Spurs finally accept a loan bid for Richie, like with Ferguson and Pienaar, to add to a flurry of top of the line talent thanks to the new moneybags owner and the sudden lack of any debt and interest payments. :D

1 minute ago, Matt said:

So hear me out... Our transfer window going into BMD... DCL doesn't settle at the barcodes and Spurs finally accept a loan bid for Richie, like with Ferguson and Pienaar, to add to a flurry of top of the line talent thanks to the new moneybags owner and the sudden lack of any debt and interest payments. :D

Sell DCL and bring back Richarlison. I’ll be very very very happy!!

So it won’t happen. 

Just now, Matt said:

Because of his goals, footwork, work rate, relegation saving goal, several exciting seasons...

But he doesn’t score goals really, which is his main job. He’s had 8 seasons in the premier league and scored more than 7 goals twice. That’s a poor return.

The two fairly  successful season’s he’s had are ones where he’s been provided a ton of service in the box and he can finish from 5 yards out. He can hold the ball up pretty well and is good in there air, no question, but I don’t see what else he does.

You mention footwork but I don’t see it. Does he dribble by defenders? No. Does he shoot well from the outside? No. He has some qualities but he’s limited which is why he struggles badly if we aren’t crossing it near the goal line for him. Nice guy but for a starting striker in the premier league I think he’s pretty clearly in the bottom 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's been integral in us playing effective football.

I'm actually fairly excited about things after thinking since that post though. I feel we'll end up in a better position when the transfer window closes than we were when it opened.

As I mentioned I think he has some ability, largely good hold up play, I just don’t think he’s ever been very good at doing the thing that is the main job of a striker. He’s about a 1 in 4 guy based on his minutes and that ignores his injury issues. Is that good enough? 10 or so goals a year on average?

5 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

But he doesn’t score goals really, which is his main job. He’s had 8 seasons in the premier league and scored more than 7 goals twice. That’s a poor return.

The two fairly  successful season’s he’s had are ones where he’s been provided a ton of service in the box and he can finish from 5 yards out. He can hold the ball up pretty well and is good in there air, no question, but I don’t see what else he does.

You mention footwork but I don’t see it. Does he dribble by defenders? No. Does he shoot well from the outside? No. He has some qualities but he’s limited which is why he struggles badly if we aren’t crossing it near the goal line for him. Nice guy but for a starting striker in the premier league I think he’s pretty clearly in the bottom 3rd.

His main job isn’t scoring goals. His main job is being part of a team effort. Which he does exceptionally well. 
We don’t play like City where Haaland doesn’t need to play, he just has to score. DCL and Everton play where it has to be 11 players working hard before anything else. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

His main job isn’t scoring goals. His main job is being part of a team effort. Which he does exceptionally well. 
We don’t play like City where Haaland doesn’t need to play, he just has to score. DCL and Everton play where it has to be 11 players working hard before anything else. 

The main job of any striker is to put the ball in the net. If we had a bunch of other goal scorers I might be more inclined to agree but we don’t. We survived last year because our defense was very good, our attack was abysmal. 

If your striker’s best qualities are that he’s good at defensive headers or holding the ball up I think you are in trouble. In the last 3 seasons he has 14 premier league goals, and that includes some penalties. 

It’s interesting me to that he is so well thought of given a return that would be met with universal derision if it came from a new striker we brought in. Lukaku got more heat than DCL does. Perhaps a product of being a nice fella and just being at Everton so long.

15 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

The main job of any striker is to put the ball in the net. If we had a bunch of other goal scorers I might be more inclined to agree but we don’t. We survived last year because our defense was very good, our attack was abysmal. 

If your striker’s best qualities are that he’s good at defensive headers or holding the ball up I think you are in trouble. In the last 3 seasons he has 14 premier league goals, and that includes some penalties. 

It’s interesting me to that he is so well thought of given a return that would be met with universal derision if it came from a new striker we brought in. Lukaku got more heat than DCL does. Perhaps a product of being a nice fella and just being at Everton so long.

If you don’t agree it wasn’t his main job then you’ve not paid enough attention when you’ve been watching us play. 

When Lukaku played for us his job was to score goals and nothing else. We don’t play the same way. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

If you don’t agree it wasn’t his main job then you’ve not paid enough attention when you’ve been watching us play. 

When Lukaku played for us his job was to score goals and nothing else. We don’t play the same way. 

It is his main job because we don’t have anyone else who can score consistently. You’re acting as if we have a team where he’s facilitating others offensively. He isn’t. Arguing that we play in a way where he’s not being asked to score is a bit silly to me, like arguing a keeper’s job is not really to make saves. It’s his primary function. 

It’s as if because he’s a poor goal scorer we’ve been convinced he’s not trying to score. 14 goals in 3 years in the league. He works hard at other areas of the game which is what has kept him at this level  but there is no argument he’s a good striker in the traditional sense. He doesn’t create offense.

1 hour ago, patto said:

Seriously…..he owes the fans nothing he was getting slagged  for being injured over the past 2 seasons. 
he did Pat the EFC crest against Liverpool so that made my night. 
good luck to the lad I hope he stays fit. 

Fair point he does owe us nothing, but it would still be a great gesture if he could do what Arteta did before his move to Arsenal. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Fair point he does owe us nothing, but it would still be a great gesture if he could do what Arteta did before his move to Arsenal. 

It won’t happen I’m just happy that we are getting around PSR Richard masters will be gutted if Dom goes which is looking likely I just hope we get the other lad I exchange. 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

It is his main job because we don’t have anyone else who can score consistently. You’re acting as if we have a team where he’s facilitating others offensively. He isn’t. Arguing that we play in a way where he’s not being asked to score is a bit silly to me, like arguing a keeper’s job is not really to make saves. It’s his primary function. 

It’s as if because he’s a poor goal scorer we’ve been convinced he’s not trying to score. 14 goals in 3 years in the league. He works hard at other areas of the game which is what has kept him at this level  but there is no argument he’s a good striker in the traditional sense. He doesn’t create offense.

I’ve watched us play enough to know his main jobs are to hold up the ball, help us get up the pitch and, if he can, get a goal. It’s not as simple as just score a goal, we aren’t fortunate enough for that to be his main objective. 

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I'm assuming you've not really watched him then, if all you think he can do is hold the ball up :dontknow:

But he was never a striker. Lukaku was a striker, he only thing he was good at was scoring. DCL is a much more versatile and hardworking forward.

When no one is creating space, holding the ball up, providing link up play and the ball pings back to our defence and we're under constant pressure because of that, i.e. the whole time he was injured, we'll see just how much he contributed.

Could be a good move for the club and Dom.

As previously said he seems a genuine nice guy. Not had much luck over the years picking up injuries left right and centre. If he does move on. I wish him well but not when playing against us of course.

7 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Exactly that. He's not a great striker and still our best fit in the past 7 years. I don't trust that we can replace him until I see a proper replacement.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm assuming you've not really watched him then, if all you think he can do is hold the ball up :dontknow:

But he was never a striker. Lukaku was a striker, he only thing he was good at was scoring. DCL is a much more versatile and hardworking forward.

When no one is creating space, holding the ball up, providing link up play and the ball pings back to our defence and we're under constant pressure because of that, i.e. the whole time he was injured, we'll see just how much he contributed.

First off let me say I think we are better with him in the team than without.

I think both POVs are correct.
any good manager (football or business) leverages the strengths of their people and mitigates for the things they are not as strong at.

But ideally the role of a striker is to score goals AND to work hard and to link play (I think of shearer even though a different era)

So Lukaku scored goals but was lead footed / lazy so the manager focused on his scoring abilities l

DCL is not the best with the ball, but we shape our style of play around what he is good at. 

Keane is good at own goals so we have him in defence and so on.

Let's look at last season.

Defence? One of the best in the league

Midfield? A bit hit and miss

Offence? One of the lowest scoring teams in the league

Conclusions?

1) Don't mess with the defence. Keep Branthwaite.
2) Find young, dominant midfielders
3) Find a goal-scoring striker. It's not DC-L

4 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

First off let me say I think we are better with him in the team than without.

I think both POVs are correct.
any good manager (football or business) leverages the strengths of their people and mitigates for the things they are not as strong at.

But ideally the role of a striker is to score goals AND to work hard and to link play (I think of shearer even though a different era)

So Lukaku scored goals but was lead footed / lazy so the manager focused on his scoring abilities l

DCL is not the best with the ball, but we shape our style of play around what he is good at. 

Keane is good at own goals so we have him in defence and so on.

He way not be the best at shooting from distance but he's very, very good with the ball at his feet.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He way not be the best at shooting from distance but he's very, very good with the ball at his feet.

On ball control and footwork, I agree. On finishing it's not just his shooting from distance though. he has always been average at one on ones also. He's actually in the 50th percentile for shot accuracy and shot conversion. 

18 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

By that logic, what we need to do is get in players that are going to create chances for him, not get rid....in a decent side, and injury free, he's a twenty plus a season guy for me...and I'd rather he got the support to achieve that at Everton and not somewhere else. He didn't become England's second choice behind Kane by accident.