IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

21 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Ok I probably worded it badly when I referred to Lukaku’s killer instinct I was talking about his finishing rather than his ability to sniff out chances

DCL has obviously already got the knack of getting himself in the right place at the right time ,it’s just putting them away when he has a chance to think about what he is doing that is the problem and he has the self confidence to not let the misses get to him which is a good sign

Some people , well Haf, wrote off Lukaku when he was here as a youngster and said he wouldn’t develop and look at him now so I certainly haven’t given up an DCL continuing to develop his game 

Not just some people Dunc.  And let's be clear - I said Lukaku is overrated and I still believe he is.  He has had 3 premier league sides and was considered a success for us ......  I thought he was piss poor at United as do most of their fans and for similar reasons to why I considered him limited for us ......  Lacks big game influence. 

I think he will do ok at Chelsea but I wouldn't be spending £100m on him.  

When you say look at him now.... What is it that he's achieved that makes you think he has lived up to expectations? 

20 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Not just some people Dunc.  And let's be clear - I said Lukaku is overrated and I still believe he is.  He has had 3 premier league sides and was considered a success for us ......  I thought he was piss poor at United as do most of their fans and for similar reasons to why I considered him limited for us ......  Lacks big game influence. 

I think he will do ok at Chelsea but I wouldn't be spending £100m on him.  

When you say look at him now.... What is it that he's achieved that makes you think he has lived up to expectations? 

😂😂😂 The fact you have actually asked the question makes me think it doesn’t matter what I say or how many stats I show you it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference, if you don’t want to see what’s right in front of you then it’s pointless me trying

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

😂😂😂 The fact you have actually asked the question makes me think it doesn’t matter what I say or how many stats I show you it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference, if you don’t want to see what’s right in front of you then it’s pointless me trying

It's a genuine question..... His honours list is a serie a title.  For me his lasting memory is someone who does well against lesser teams in lesser games and fails in finals/semi's. 

The hyperbole about him being a monster etc etc was laughable.  Good athlete with a good finish.  Not a patch on the genuine best strikers we have seen in the prem. 

2 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Would love to see the stats for Dom in 1 on 1 situations including last season. He scores a lot of goals, and is a good player for sure but for a main striker he is woeful at 1 on 1’s with the ball at his feet.

I don't know if we will be able to find the 1v1 stats, however last season he had 17 "Big chances missed". This put him joint 7th as follows:

1. Bamford - 21

2. Salah, Vardy, Wood - 19

5. Mane, Werner - 18

7. Adams, DCL - 17

9. Firminho, Kane - 13

DCL also had the 7th most shots with 83. And at a glance doesn't seem to miss any more "big chances" per shot than the players above him in the last. Of course a "big chance" doesn't neccessarily mean a 1v1.

I'm never flooded with confidence when he does find himself in a 1v1 situation that he is going to score, it's more of a 50/50. Personally, I think it's down to his composure rather than his finishing ability.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He definitely cost us two points yesterday, a clinical striker would have easily walked away with the match ball

What was the third he should have had?

He won and converted the penalty. His job was done. Keane and Benetiz much more to blame.

I’m not going to say he cost us 2 points because if he scored from Iwobi’s pass that changes the game from that point and anything could happen, but I’m going to say he should have dinked that over the keeper who was going down before he hit it straight at him when we should have been 1-3 up. He works really hard for the team and is good from 2-3 yards out but he isn’t a clinical or natural finisher in time this part of his game may get better. 

I though his header was a much worse miss.

Keeper came out really fast for Iwobi pass. He still should have done better.

The header was a free header on the far post, and he seemed to jump when not needed and got over the ball.

His overall game was good. You could see he was really bullying them. Penalty was excellent. His first time effort deserved another. But DID miss two chances he should have done better with.

But, if he is creating this much to debate during a match… then he is surely doing something right. So are the team.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

It's a genuine question..... His honours list is a serie a title.  For me his lasting memory is someone who does well against lesser teams in lesser games and fails in finals/semi's. 

The hyperbole about him being a monster etc etc was laughable.  Good athlete with a good finish.  Not a patch on the genuine best strikers we have seen in the prem. 

You didn’t just say he was overrated you said he would never develop his game , he has , but that’s the last I’m saying on the subject because as I said it’s pointless talking to you about him and I’m sure nobody wants to go through the entire Lukaku debate again  in this or any other thread

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I’m not going to say he cost us 2 points because if he scored from Iwobi’s pass that changes the game from that point and anything could happen, but I’m going to say he should have dinked that over the keeper who was going down before he hit it straight at him when we should have been 1-3 up. He works really hard for the team and is good from 2-3 yards out but he isn’t a clinical or natural finisher in time this part of his game may get better. 

It's 50/50 what the keeper is going to do, the keeper gambled well. On another day the keeper makes himself big and DCL gets a goal through his legs.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

You didn’t just say he was overrated you said he would never develop his game , he has , but that’s the last I’m saying on the subject because as I said it’s pointless talking to you about him and I’m sure nobody wants to go through the entire Lukaku debate again  in this or any other thread

Ah really Dunc.  So why did you dig me out on it then?   Don't start with the moral high ground bollocks now.   Indeed, don't reply. My opinion hasn't changed. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I though his header was a much worse miss.

Keeper came out really fast for Iwobi pass. He still should have done better.

The header was a free header on the far post, and he seemed to jump when not needed and got over the ball.

His overall game was good. You could see he was really bullying them. Penalty was excellent. His first time effort deserved another. But DID miss two chances he should have done better with.

But, if he is creating this much to debate during a match… then he is surely doing something right. So are the team.

Said the same to my dad about the header.

1st chance - don’t think he did anything wrong and the keeper got lucky. 

2nd chance - should have probably done better.

3rd chance - really poor header - he got it all wrong.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not sure about Rafa checking in with him when he's on holiday.... Personally I think that's the time for players to totally switch off. Shows rafas intensity I guess. 

Dom said he wanted to be the penalty taker so the manager discussing it before he reported back is fair and another example of Rafa's attention to detail.

Dom is a fox in the box but he’s never showed the ability to get his own shot and his composure 1 v 1 vs the keeper is poor by the standards of a top striker. I’m sure this can be improved somewhat but I don’t think it’s ever going to be his strength. He needs service in dangerous areas. I just don’t think he’s ever gonna be that guy to drop a shoulder and bang one in from 20 yards or beat a defender 1 v 1 and convert. He is a good premier league striker and I’m glad to have him but without that ability his upside is somewhat capped. 

3 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Dom is a fox in the box but he’s never showed the ability to get his own shot and his composure 1 v 1 vs the keeper is poor by the standards of a top striker. I’m sure this can be improved somewhat but I don’t think it’s ever going to be his strength. He needs service in dangerous areas. I just don’t think he’s ever gonna be that guy to drop a shoulder and bang one in from 20 yards or beat a defender 1 v 1 and convert. He is a good premier league striker and I’m glad to have him but without that ability his upside is somewhat capped. 

I agree with parts of that but don't agree with the latter bit, for the same reason I've defended strikers and forwards in the past. He is one of the best around for poaching so play to his strengths. If that's how he's best at scoring goals, then set up to get him scoring goals. None of this "complete player" bullshit, we need to focus on game-changer habits and getting the most out of them, plus have a plan B when he's not available. It's just not that complicated, and I don't get why managers in particular overthink these kinda things. Same with Wingers - knock the ball past and then cross it in. Too much time spent on intricate play, thanks to the sheer boredom of tikifuckingkaka. 

Just now, Matt said:

I agree with parts of that but don't agree with the latter bit, for the same reason I've defended strikers and forwards in the past. He is one of the best around for poaching so play to his strengths. If that's how he's best at scoring goals, then set up to get him scoring goals. None of this "complete player" bullshit, we need to focus on game-changer habits and getting the most out of them, plus have a plan B when he's not available. It's just not that complicated, and I don't get why managers in particular overthink these kinda things. Same with Wingers - knock the ball past and then cross it in. Too much time spent on intricate play, thanks to the sheer boredom of tikifuckingkaka. 

He can certainly be very effective just getting better at what he already does well. My point is that if your goals rely almost solely on your teammates setting you up in great positions then you can only go so far because you’ll have games where that just doesn’t happen much. Harry Kane or Robert Lewandowski are great opportunists but they also can bang one in from 20 yards or convert at a high percentage 1 v 1 with the keeper. Dom can have a long, productive career just doing what he does now but I think he’s lacking the attributes that make a striker world class. I’m not sure how much that instinctive finishing can be learned at this stage. Since he was mentioned, Lukaku for his heavy touch etc.. was a better finisher in those situations.

I agree with you Sparty he is always going to be limited at what he can do when it comes to scoring, but he’s one of the best at what he does and as Matt says the team should be playing to his strengths the end result will be goals. Obviously there will be games where he’s not getting the supply to work with and will look obsolete and and none productive, when this happens it’s up to Benitez to find a different route to goal that’s his job and Dom may find that he is substituted early in some games that aren't playing to his strengths, and personally I think with Rafa who is a great tactician we will see this, where as other managers have just run him aimlessly into the ground down blind alleyways and we’ve moaned how poor he was, when in fact he hasn’t been played to his strengths. 

When I started watching Everton we had Sharp and Gray up top.

I can’t ever remember either of those running down a wrong taking players on with trickery and whipping crosses in. What I can remember is both being good at what they did and our whole team working together to accentuate their strengths. 

I never see Messi jumping 7 feet and powering a header in. Or Ronaldo being an absolute rock in the middle. 

Play to Dons strengths and we will reap the rewards.

32 minutes ago, Shukes said:

When I started watching Everton we had Sharp and Gray up top.

No we didn't we had Sharp and Gray playing up front because no daft bugger had decided to use that fucking ridiculous half-witted term back then.

Presumably Keane, Holgate, Digne & Coleman played at the bottom yesterday, makes as much sense.

:majoroverreactionalert:

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's withdrawn from the England squad with injury.

Happy days, have two weeks off and then fight fit against Burnley. I'll admit that I proper get into England during the major tournaments now that we look like we give a shite, but I'd be happy to bubble wrap our players through all the qualifiers.

I heard that it was a suspected toe injury, so probably nothing too serious.