Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not talking about the Swiss though (who largely regret their vote). I'm talking French, German, Hungarian, Portuguese, Spanish and Bulgarian colleauges

Why do they regret their vote Matt?

They have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe at 3.4%. The GDP per capita is the 4th best in the world, and by far the best in Europe. Government debt to GDP is on the very low side. Widely regarded as one of the best places to live for stability, security, diversity, health and wealth.

Do the Swiss think it would be even better if they were part of the EU?

On the news right now, it's nothing but extreme negative news articles. Interviews with those who disagree or supposedly regret their vote. The bias is extreme. So now we know how the elites act when they don't get their way. Politicians, bankers, media moguls- they don't like it when the great unwashed speak for themselves.

are you serious? LOL wow, hopefully people won't be stupid enough to fall for that.

Tory party leader is elected purely by Tory MP's (while Labour leader elected by all party members + MPs + Unions), so if a majority of them vote for him he's the new PM, "the people" have no say.

sounds like this candidate is a long shot and trying to gain traction through this outrageous claim.

He's not actually suggesting a second referendum on leaving though; he's suggesting a referendum on the terms which we leave under.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647948

(Which is not for us to say because it has to be negotiated with 27 other countries so it's a bit ridiculous in reality I'd have thought)

He's not actually suggesting a second referendum on leaving though; he's suggesting a referendum on the terms which we leave under.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647948

(Which is not for us to say because it has to be negotiated with 27 other countries so it's a bit ridiculous in reality I'd have thought)

oh i had it all wrong. i thought someone was saying "elect me, we'll hold another referendum since people didn't know what they were voting for last time, we'll Remain this time".

On the news right now, it's nothing but extreme negative news articles. Interviews with those who disagree or supposedly regret their vote. The bias is extreme. So now we know how the elites act when they don't get their way. Politicians, bankers, media moguls- they don't like it when the great unwashed speak for themselves.

This has been my bugbear with it all and why the whole racism issue has been blown out of proportion as a tool for "operation fear"

Why do they regret their vote Matt?

They have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe at 3.4%. The GDP per capita is the 4th best in the world, and by far the best in Europe. Government debt to GDP is on the very low side. Widely regarded as one of the best places to live for stability, security, diversity, health and wealth.

Do the Swiss think it would be even better if they were part of the EU?

Several reasons, I'll see if I can find an article. Headlines were:

1. divided the country

2. impact on EU negotiations, have to pay higher concessions than before etc.

3. basically backfired

But that's people talking here, I'll see if there's a Swiss article in English to explain better

Matt, as an outsider looking in with no detailed understanding of the situation, it seems to me that if Switzerland wanted full membership of the EU they would be welcomed with open arms. The fact that they don't seems to me that they are happy with the current arrangement. If this is the case, I have no idea why they don't want full membership but would be interested in finding out.

Just checked, the Swiss parliament just voted to invalidate their 1992 application to join the EU. So it seems as though there is a clear indication that they don't wish to be part of the EU which seems at odds with Matt's earlier post.

Several reasons, I'll see if I can find an article. Headlines were:

1. divided the country

2. impact on EU negotiations, have to pay higher concessions than before etc.

3. basically backfired

But that's people talking here, I'll see if there's a Swiss article in English to explain better

Well, if that's true, my mind is blown.

Switzerland seems to be a really well run country that appears to be one of the best countries in Europe. But they aren't happy?

One common problem here: Human Beings!!!

Well, if that's true, my mind is blown.

Switzerland seems to be a really well run country that appears to be one of the best countries in Europe. But they aren't happy?

One common problem here: Human Beings!!!

ill clarify. The vote was on curbing immigration, not against joining the EU etc

http://lenews.ch/2016/05/26/most-swiss-put-eu-agreements-before-immigration-quotas-according-to-survey/

More here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_immigration_referendum,_February_2014

Edited by Matt

Matt, I thought the terms of the referendum was 'to invalidate the application to join the EU'? If that is correct than I can't see your point that the vote was not against joining the EU.

Matt, I thought the terms of the referendum was 'to invalidate the application to join the EU'? If that is correct than I can't see your point that the vote was not against joining the EU.

No, the Swiss one was about immigration. I misunderstood then, I thought I was being asked about the latest Swiss referendum which has had a impact with their relations with the EU. It's got a lot of similarities with a major driver of the Leave campaign though Edited by Matt

No, the Swiss one was about immigration. I misunderstood then, I thought I was being asked about the latest Swiss referendum which has had a impact with their relations with the EU. It's got a lot of similarities with a major driver of the Leave campaign though

The site I saw had a quote from one Thomas Minder (maybe the Swiss equivalent of Farage!) who said 'you would have to be a lunatic to want to join the EU' - or words to that effect.

Sorry, just checked. He said 'only a few lunatics may want to join the EU now'.

Edited by johnh

So they (the majority) where against mass immigration? Was there much of an uproar and outrage and accusations of racism when the votes where announced?

Edited by EFC-Paul

No, the Swiss one was about immigration. I misunderstood then, I thought I was being asked about the latest Swiss referendum which has had a impact with their relations with the EU. It's got a lot of similarities with a major driver of the Leave campaign though

I remember that one. It came up recently in a debate I saw on whether or not it's a good idea to organise referenda. Apparently because of the result of the immigration referendum the Swiss were thrown out a lot of EU programs (Erasmus among others) and Swiss diplomats and politicians are now bending every which way to try to get around the result of the referendum.

The report starts off 'the East coast areas are the areas with highest pensioner population.' re the 'leave' vote. What it doesn't say is that it also the area with highest immigration. Where there are problems for young local people getting jobs, getting the school of their choice. getting appointments at the GP surgery. I posted on here before that when I lived in a market town in Lincolnshire, my two daughters went to a local primary school and have extremely happy memories of their time there. There was an article in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago on that very school which now has 70% of pupils who don't have English as their first language. This creates two problems for locals. 1. Some claim that their children are being held back, educationally, because of the extra time it takes to tutor pupils in what is a foreign language for them. 2. Some claim that they cannot get a place for their children in the school even though their family have lived in the area for generations. There are some who would claim that raising these issues is 'racist', but they are very real problems to the people who experience them.

I remember that one. It came up recently in a debate I saw on whether or not it's a good idea to organise referenda. Apparently because of the result of the immigration referendum the Swiss were thrown out a lot of EU programs (Erasmus among others) and Swiss diplomats and politicians are now bending every which way to try to get around the result of the referendum.

Well the EU think its a good idea to organise referenda, they keep having them until they get the result they want. :rofl: