• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

• 2 weeks later...

This is good insight and what I like to hear. In the part that he's not quoted from the presser, he talks about how he keeps his squad smaller by using youth and doesn't have to deal with as many egos not playing every week. This makes sense on so many levels, and will hopefully lead to a couple big signings in the summer as we'll have more funds and more certainty of playing time than if we filled the squad with a bunch of replacement level players.

This is good insight and what I like to hear. In the part that he's not quoted from the presser, he talks about how he keeps his squad smaller by using youth and doesn't have to deal with as many egos not playing every week. This makes sense on so many levels, and will hopefully lead to a couple big signings in the summer as we'll have more funds and more certainty of playing time than if we filled the squad with a bunch of replacement level players.

yeah ron has got his shit together, great manager i hope we really go far next year.

“Everyone’s behind him,” he added. “Seamus would be the first person out of everyone in the changing room to be rallying round someone else so we are all definitely behind him and know he’ll come back a lot stronger."

I loved this part about Coleman.

I pray he comes back and makes that armband. Proper Everton spirit that lad. We're a team and we stick together. Fight, win,lose or accept the other team cheated...together!

Hes one player who makes me think of the 1984 1985 team.... pretty similar mentality and you coukd see him getting on with that bunch of lads.

I still don't see the DCL logic? Anyone?

Send Deulofeu out on loan, bench Mirallas and play DCL in the big games. Same with Valencia who is nothing more than an extremely good impact player. Personally I think this is where he goes wrong he's got a strange thought process on players Stek & Robles situation the same!

Edited by MC11

Send Deulofeu out on loan, bench Mirallas and play DCL in the big games. Same with Valencia who is nothing more than an extremely good impact player. Personally I think this is where he goes wrong he's got a strange thought process on players Stek & Robles situation the same!

I think the same. I haven't seen anything in DCL to get especially excited about. He may be one for the future, but to put him up against that Chelsea defense today was...well, strange. I think even Lookman would have offered more today in that position.

He looks a prospect, as does Lookman, but neither look ready to command a regular starting spot yet. The fact is that they're not good enough yet but Mirallas, Valencia and Geri aren't good enough either. Chelsea had Willian on the bench today - we've got no chance of getting him but that's the quality of player we're lacking... the type that's going to bring out the best in Barkley and Lukaku too.

As for Stek and Joel - once again, neither are good enough. A 1st choice keeper must be a priority this summer.

I have real doubts about Koeman. I put them on hold since we appeared to pick up the pace in January, but I think the poor patch before then is now being repeated. We're going to struggle to finish with 60 points and were useless in cup competitions. The manager doesn't seem to have what it takes to beat the top clubs, appears to play favourites, and is a questionable man-manager. Yes, he changed his mind this year and brought in some younger blood, but I suspect he was told to (otherwise, he'd be using these final games to bring through a couple more). Does he still return to Holland every week, or is he now more committed to the club? If Eddie Howe, for example, can motivate mid-table Bournemouth at this stage in the season, why can't Ronald Koeman motivate Everton?

I'm not convinced he can be trusted with a big transfer budget. Plenty will disagree, but for me he's failed to meet expectations.

Edited by Cornish Steve

i've said it before and i'll say it again. he's had enough time to make long term decisions on most of the players (mirallas, robles, mccarthy, etc) and has decided they're out. He's now seeing if the other players are worth buying (valencia), promoting to the first team (lookman, DCL) or moving on. No need to keep playing mirallas and making him the lynchpin of the team and dressing room when he wants rid. so you bench them and play others to see if they will step up.

found davies this way by coming in for mccarthy, i don't think anyone wishes for mccarthy back when we've got tom who does the same job at 18, evertonian, and not always injured (knock on wood). the rest of the matches are for pride essentially, give the fringe players a look and see who's worth it for next year.

that's the only thing i can come up with. Other than he just doesn't rate mirallas like martinez didn't.

i've said it before and i'll say it again. he's had enough time to make long term decisions on most of the players (mirallas, robles, mccarthy, etc) and has decided they're out. He's now seeing if the other players are worth buying (valencia), promoting to the first team (lookman, DCL) or moving on. No need to keep playing mirallas and making him the lynchpin of the team and dressing room when he wants rid. so you bench them and play others to see if they will step up.

found davies this way by coming in for mccarthy, i don't think anyone wishes for mccarthy back when we've got tom who does the same job at 18, evertonian, and not always injured (knock on wood). the rest of the matches are for pride essentially, give the fringe players a look and see who's worth it for next year.

that's the only thing i can come up with. Other than he just doesn't rate mirallas like martinez didn't.

IMO, we've really missed McCarthy in the last few games. He's usually fired up and makes a difference.

conte has some interesting things to say after the match, apparently koeman's tactics weren't as wacky as some think:

"I must be pleased with the performance," Conte said. "It wasn't easy to play against a really strong team and a really good manager that prepared the game really well with good tactical organisation. My players showed great patience to wait for the right moment to hit.

"For us it was very important to keep the clean sheet after 13 games. This is very important for our confidence for the final part of the season. We know Everton won eight games in a row at Goodison Park so it's a good win for us."

I have real doubts about Koeman. I put them on hold since we appeared to pick up the pace in January, but I think the poor patch before then is now being repeated. We're going to struggle to finish with 60 points and were useless in cup competitions. The manager doesn't seem to have what it takes to beat the top clubs, appears to play favourites, and is a questionable man-manager. Yes, he changed his mind this year and brought in some younger blood, but I suspect he was told to (otherwise, he'd be using these final games to bring through a couple more). Does he still return to Holland every week, or is he now more committed to the club? If Eddie Howe, for example, can motivate mid-table Bournemouth at this stage in the season, why can't Ronald Koeman motivate Everton?

I'm not convinced he can be trusted with a big transfer budget. Plenty will disagree, but for me he's failed to meet expectations.

He twice as good as Martinez and transformed the dross and shite he saddled us with. Lets take a quick look at what he's done in less than a full season:-

Finished 4 places higher than the last 2 seasons

Got European football back

We've not been able to catch the top 6 but he's kept us in contention and we're streets ahead of the teams below us

Had the bollocks to drop players and brought some honesty back to us rather than the absolute bollocks Martinez spouted

Played and blooded a lot of youth

Tom Davies

Schneiderlin

Gana

Managed to get rid of the utter turd Martinez saddled us with namely Cleverley, Niasse Mcgeady

Ridded us of deadwood such as Gibson, Oviedo and Kone wont be here after we kick the last ball of the season.

Turned our worst home record EVER into just 2 home losses so far this season.

That's without even thinking aboutit.

But you have doubts.

We need to find the players that bridge the gap to those top 6 teams.

We've lost 9 in the league so far. 5 of them have been to teams above us...actually, 3 losses to the 2 title chasers and twice to our voodoo team from across the park.

We've also drawn 4 times against the teams above us.

So far, we've played the top 6 11 times, W2, D4, L5.

Forget the losses/draws to so called lower/lesser teams, nothing is a given in this league and throughout a season, it happens.

Now just imagine if we flipped the above results on its head...W5, D4, L2...we'd be 9 points better off, that would put us in 3rd without making the necessary points adjustments for the other teams. I'm sure you get where I'm coming from!

That's Koeman and Co's big challenge for next season. Find the players that can lift us up there. And give us the confidence to go toe to toe with the teams above us (and sort our away record!!!).

It's been a fine first season. Not amazing. Not breath taking. But it's gone better than I thought. Many positives to this season. Not just on the pitch, but with the squad, the U23's, things behind the scene.

Of course, as a fan, you can choose to look at all the positives or choose to look at the glitches...like the GK situation, the bad spell in winter, some dodgy decisions, your fave player not being picked etc. Upto you really.

Another thing on this- people claiming Koeman gets big games wrong. We've not won big games since the 80s. We don't win them regular because we're not and haven't been good enough. We'll win them now and again but until we have a squad capable of competing regularly we never will.

Exactly.

He twice as good as Martinez and transformed the dross and shite he saddled us with. Lets take a quick look at what he's done in less than a full season:-

Finished 4 places higher than the last 2 seasons

Got European football back

We've not been able to catch the top 6 but he's kept us in contention and we're streets ahead of the teams below us

Had the bollocks to drop players and brought some honesty back to us rather than the absolute bollocks Martinez spouted

Played and blooded a lot of youth

Tom Davies

Schneiderlin

Gana

Managed to get rid of the utter turd Martinez saddled us with namely Cleverley, Niasse Mcgeady

Ridded us of deadwood such as Gibson, Oviedo and Kone wont be here after we kick the last ball of the season.

Turned our worst home record EVER into just 2 home losses so far this season.

That's without even thinking aboutit.

But you have doubts.

Yes, and I repeat all the claims mentioned above. He doesn't know how to beat the teams above us. His man-management skills are suspect. He can't motivate the team when there's little to play for. He plays favorites. (He brought in Stekelenburg, for goodness sakes: We can learn a lot from that.)

And I'm not comparing against Martinez, so your comparisons mean nothing. I'm comparing with expectations, the minimum we should expect from a manager who's supposed to take us into the top tier of the league. Let's not get starry-eyed about this season but learn from it. We've had two very poor spells, and there's no-one to blame for that other than the manager.

Another thing on this- people claiming Koeman gets big games wrong. We've not won big games since the 80s. We don't win them regular because we're not and haven't been good enough. We'll win them now and again but until we have a squad capable of competing regularly we never will.

Claiming that other managers failed in the same way is no excuse. We didn't fail to beat top teams because of the squad but because of poor strategy. Our manager expected to lose: he should expect to win!

There wasn't a lot in it yesterday up to their 1st goal. Fact is that they have that extra quality - extra depth. Koeman has already started the overhaul of the squad but there are still a high number of players who simply aren't good enough if we're going to break that top 6/ challenge for silverware and Champions League football.

We have the basis of a good squad with the core players plus highly productive youth set-up but senior options like Kone, Lennon and Mirallas to some extent aren't going to cut it when you look at the quality we're competing with - look at the options on benches yesterday for example - ManU - Mkhitarian and Mata

Chelsea - Fabregas and Willian

Arsenal - Welbeck and Walcott

Spurs - Dembele and Sissoko

ManC - Sterling, Nolito and Sane

All are game changing options and most would massively improve us.

A few too many people have unrealistic expectations of where we are/should be. I can see we've made a massive shift in the right direction this season and Koeman's delivered on what he said he was going to. The next hurdle is massive though - shift up to 10 more substandard/aging players and replace them with better quality while holding on to prized assets. I believe we've got the corrrect infrastructure to negotiate what SHOULD be an extremely busy summer.

We have had a decent season and Koeman has had a solid start.

Not great, four places above a pathetic season is better, but something you would expect from any new manager.

We have still bottled it on occasions and that is where we need work.

But there is a lot of other improvements that we need to recognise.

Youth. The teams age has dropped a lot.

Signings have improved.

Backroom staff.we look a much better prospect.

We have taken a forward step and we need to allow him to have his first full summer after having a good look at his team. Let's see if he can add a few more jigsaw pieces.