IGNORED

Michael Keane

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Romey 1878 said:

He didn’t do well today at all but I don’t think any of the three had good games. They all looked uncomfortable after being set up to fail and then were abandoned by the manager for 65 minutes. 

Today I don't think he was much worse than any of the others in the back 3 but the fact that Tarkowski and Branthwaite are better as a 2, it's as simple as that. 

we don't look good at the back when he plays. I can't make it any simpler than that. 

13 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Also, the majority of these starts were last season. Before the match at Burnley, he hadn't started since August. So these stats are heavily skewed to last season. 

Either way they are factual, last season when he was dropped and Mina started we started picking points up. 

If he carried on starting we were getting relegated, it's as simple as that. 

18 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I genuinely do feel bad for the guy. Sure he's not a good enough footballer to be playing for us, but the amount of vitriol and attention that's thrown his way gets out of hand.

It's not vitriol, I actually think most fans like him as a lad. I think he's a great goal threat, I think he's as honest as the day is long. He's not good enough yet the manager tries to find excuses to play him. 

I'd love him to be a great player 

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He was brilliant today and it's a good job because Tarkowski was all over the place.

Vital to us getting our first clean sheet and hopefully we can build on it after the international break.

Aside the short headed back which Pickford got off his line sharpish for - it was the best he has played.  Tarks does not play well with Keane - that's the fact. 

11 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Aside the short headed back which Pickford got off his line sharpish for - it was the best he has played.  Tarks does not play well with Keane - that's the fact. 

And that's Keane's fault? Come on.

If Keane had had a bad game today then I'd understand because that sort of thing is infectious, but Keane was great. So lets not blame him for something that was fuck all to do with him.

James Tarkowski is a grown man, a very experienced Premier League footballer. He had a shit game today. He gave away a poor penalty due to himself, not who he was playing with. He generally looked crap all game because of him. Not Michael Keane.

He's been poor all season. He wasn't great last week against Palace either. He could quite easily have given a penalty away. Michael Keane was nowhere near him that game because he was playing with Branthwaite.

James Tarkowski is responsible for his own performances. They all are.

It's unbelievable how our fans blame Keane for everything.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And that's Keane's fault? Come on.

If Keane had had a bad game today then I'd understand because that sort of thing is infectious, but Keane was great. So lets not blame him for something that was fuck all to do with him.

James Tarkowski is a grown man, a very experienced Premier League footballer. He had a shit game today. He gave away a poor penalty due to himself, not who he was playing with. He generally looked crap all game because of him. Not Michael Keane.

He's been poor all season. He wasn't great last week against Palace either. He could quite easily have given a penalty away. Michael Keane was nowhere near him that game because he was playing with Branthwaite.

James Tarkowski is responsible for his own performances. They all are.

It's unbelievable how our fans blame Keane for everything.

Not Keane fault but it's clear as day we play differently to accommodate Keane.  With branthwaite our line gets higher and tarkowski is far more comfortable having a partner who has more pace than him. Tarks isn't quick but has to be the fetcher cos Keane can't 

tarks was very good last week - absolute ball magnet.  Its night and day difference how he plays when branthwaite is next to him. 

I’m the first one to bash Keane when it’s deserved but Tarks performance is on him against Newcastle. Positionally Keane is always a bit suspect but Tarks made errors that were just stupid.

He hasn’t been great all season, I would not shudder if Keane partnered Branthwaite at some point.

We have to play a very low block with Keane cos he can't defend behind him.  With branthwaite we can at least push out a bit.

Tarkowski arguably should be dropped when Branthwaite returns but it's about partnerships and how the defence works. 

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

It wasn’t the style that made Tarks suffer today, it was his own fuck ups. That’s nothing to do with Keane and would have happened with Branthwaite as well.

.Keane was MotM for me today. Superb.

Agreed, other than for me, Garner just about edged Keane for MotM.

I think Keane has played well all season and he was excellent yesterday but I do agree with Haf that we have to play differently to accommodate him. He seems to unsettle the rest of the back four and even Pickford to some extent because we all know he has a fuck up in him 

When Keane and Turks play together we are too susceptible to the ball over the top because neither are fast enough so we end up defending too deep

Tarks hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory this season so I could see the argument of maybe giving Keane and Branthwaite a few games together but I just feel Tarks is the better option in the long term and he will play himself back into form, especially when he has Branthwaites pace as cover

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why does Tarkowski get the cop out of having to play alongside a slow defender like Keane to somehow make out his bad performances are down to the partner but Keane's bad performances are just down to him and not because he's playing with a slow partner?

Tarkowski is bailed out by Branthwaite when they play together but I'm 99% certain that Keane would look better next to him as well because his deficiencies would also be covered by Branthwaite.

I'm not saying Keane is brilliant by any stretch but the difference in how people react to him in comparison to other defenders is mad. If Keane had fucked up as badly as Tarkowski did yesterday the pitchforks would be out for him (and it'd be deserved) but for some reason it wasn't really Tarkowski's fault yesterday. It was due to Keane being slow and liable to lose his head sometimes that made him act like a dick head on a corner where a slow partner isn't even relevant. It's also Keane's fault that Tarkowski continually completely misjudged high balls yesterday and ran under them.

Evertonians are funny creatures :lol:.

I’ve not read the full thread tbf but don’t think anyone has blamed Keane for Tarkowskis brain fart for the penalty yesterday 

The fact is we are poorer as a team defensively when Keane plays. As I said Tarkowski has been poor this season so maybe it’s time to play Keane and Branthwaite for a while but what is clear is Keane and Tarkowski is not an option

But for me Tarks was superb last season and I’m hoping his current form is just a blip and if he gets back to anywhere near his best is a much better option than Keane

Keane was great yesterday, Tarks had a mare. But last season Tarks was consistently good and Keane very up and down. Both play better next to Branthwaite as he has pace. Tarks has a higher ceiling so he should stat next to him. Having a consistent back 4 with players playing in their right positions will help too. 

But plaudits for Keane yesterday he was my motm. 

Let's be honest / tarks has 10x the credit in the bank that Keane has for obvious reasons.  We have won 2 in 22 games with Keane and he has made errors galore. 

tarks has made 2 stupid challenges in back to back weeks so I'm sure he will be made aware 

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The future, hopefully, will be O'Brien paired with Branthwaite. I look forward to the opportunity to see that partnership develop.

I’ll be surprised if JOB is here in 2 yrs time he is a squad player and with the right recruitment our team should be much better then its all about recruitment get that right and all will be good. 

14 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Let's be honest / tarks has 10x the credit in the bank that Keane has for obvious reasons.  We have won 2 in 22 games with Keane and he has made errors galore. 

tarks has made 2 stupid challenges in back to back weeks so I'm sure he will be made aware 

You can’t blame Keane for everything there was 10 other players in the team and why 22 games. 

1 hour ago, patto said:

I’ll be surprised if JOB is here in 2 yrs time he is a squad player and with the right recruitment our team should be much better then its all about recruitment get that right and all will be good. 

I'm assuming you watched all of his games at Lyon last year to gather enough information to make this assessment? Because he's stepped on the pitch 3 times for us so far.