IGNORED

Everton and the World Cup.

Will this year's world cup esatblish a club record for the number of Everton players playing at a world cup? I'm counting 7, if you include Lukaku.

Also, just for fun, which two countries have won the world cup but failed to do so as host nations?

Will this year's world cup esatblish a club record for the number of Everton players playing at a world cup? I'm counting 7, if you include Lukaku.

Also, just for fun, which two countries have won the world cup but failed to do so as host nations?

You can't include Lukaku I don't think, so it's six, same as last time.

Pienaar, Howard, Cahill, Heitinga, Yobo, Yakubu.

Actually how is it six this time? Can only think of the three for England plus Howard & Mirallas :huh:.

We'd have had five at Mexico in 1970 if Gordon West hadn't turned a place down!

Newton, Labone, Ball & Wright; plus Colin Harvey and Joe Royle were on the "reserve list".

Go on Newty lad! That's Keith Newton yeah? No word of a lie, my Dad's called Keith Newton. Although we are a family of Evertonians, I'm not sure he was named after him.

• 7 months later...

When Bally came back from that world cup he was never the same for Everton, Tommy Wright was as good as finished by injuries and Newton and Labs had reached the stage with Westy when it was coming to an end, all too quickly after the glorious football of the previous two years, not seen again until 84/85, although the class of 77 came close.