IGNORED

Summer 2014 Transfers

Preparing for the long haul? You do realise they are bank rolled by one of the richest families in Europe. They were preparing for the long haul by bring these lads through in the first place, not flogging them to the highest bidder. The sad thing is that I'm not sure where it will stop... They were the future of the club, those players could have stayed together for 3-5 more years yet with one going here and there but now they have all gone at once and they are going to have to a Spurs by bringing in several first team players who more than likely will never have played in the country, possibly not at this level and because everyone knows Soton have money coming out of their arsehole, they are more than likely to pay over the odds.

If they had gotten rid of Lambert and one other I would have agreed with you, but this is a joke and if they arent careful they will be in the shit. Luckily though, I do think they brought in a decent manager so that may be their saving grace.

Agree with some of this and some of Matts views.

They have a good manager in, but I highly doubt that at interview they said to him 'we are going to sell Shaw, Lambert, Lovren, Chambers, Lallana, maybe more.....'. I think Koeman will be feeling a bit pissed just now.

Southampton have a good recent history for bringing through quality and selling on. That's always been there model.

I think this shows it doesn't matter how rich the people are who own the club. Mostly these guys are businessman. And the name of the game in business is to make money. As much as possible. And that's how the owners will see it....'we got player x for 8.5mill last year, now we can get 20mill for him, yes please'. There getting shit loads of money for players they've spent the football equivalent of naff all on.

On the flip side, they might surprise us and spend a whole lot on new talent...although reading an interview today with their chief exec, talking about having the youth to fill the gaps, I highly doubt it.

Preparing for the long haul? You do realise they are bank rolled by one of the richest families in Europe. They were preparing for the long haul by bring these lads through in the first place, not flogging them to the highest bidder. The sad thing is that I'm not sure where it will stop... They were the future of the club, those players could have stayed together for 3-5 more years yet with one going here and there but now they have all gone at once and they are going to have to a Spurs by bringing in several first team players who more than likely will never have played in the country, possibly not at this level and because everyone knows Soton have money coming out of their arsehole, they are more than likely to pay over the odds.

If they had gotten rid of Lambert and one other I would have agreed with you, but this is a joke and if they arent careful they will be in the shit. Luckily though, I do think they brought in a decent manager so that may be their saving grace.

I think it's all part of a master plan. These Soton players all signed a secret pact. They get to earn higher wages for two years at other clubs and learn all about how their opponents train and play. Each plays crap for two years, allowing Soton to buy them back at half price. With top players together again and inside info in tow, they win the league in 2017.

Come on. This has to be as plausible an explanation as any other.

I think it's all part of a master plan. These Soton players all signed a secret pact. They get to earn higher wages for two years at other clubs and learn all about how their opponents train and play. Each plays crap for two years, allowing Soton to buy them back at half price. With top players together again and inside info in tow, they win the league in 2017.

Come on. This has to be as plausible an explanation as any other.

Im down with that.

yeah, preparing for the long haul. So what if the owners are rich, the business has to be sustainable. Bringing in 100m+ from 5/6 players is good business sense. But that's why I said emotions aside, bring it in and I completely agree with you. I was simply showing the other side of the coin...

yeah, preparing for the long haul. So what if the owners are rich, the business has to be sustainable. Bringing in 100m+ from 5/6 players is good business sense. But that's why I said emotions aside, bring it in and I completely agree with you. I was simply showing the other side of the coin...

Selling players of that stature/potential is only a good business plan if you can bring in good enough players to replace them. We don't know if that will be the case yet at Soton but you can already see the instability that has been created. 1 or 2 a season is a sustainable long term model. 5 to possibly 6 or 7 in a couple of months is crazy.

Selling players of that stature/potential is only a good business plan if you can bring in good enough players to replace them. We don't know if that will be the case yet at Soton but you can already see the instability that has been created. 1 or 2 a season is a sustainable long term model. 5 to possibly 6 or 7 in a couple of months is crazy.

again I'm agree with you, but despite the unrest they have big money to go spend. Anyway, let's not go around in circles :)

Southampton chairman says they didn't sell anyone for financial reasons, purely down to the attitude of the players apparently.

'He accused the departed players of wanting to take a "shortcut to Champions League football" and said the club are close to adding to their squad, having already signed Dusan Tadic and Graziano Pelle this summer.

"Those players were wanting to have it immediately," he said. "Once you end up with a group with that type of attitude you need to do what is best for the club. We did not make any decision on financial grounds."'

But Rodriguez and Schneiderlin are not for sale (despite Schneiderlin's attitude saying he wants to leave :dont know:).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28542225

Sky reporting Lampard to City 6 month loan

Arsene Wenger is questioning this deal, and I think he has a point. Due to FInancial Fair Play penalties, City cannot field new players until next year. So what do they do? They buy a team in the US, have that team buy a player, and then take the player on loan. It's a neat little trick, isn't it?