IGNORED

Kevin Mirallas

Mirallas has been ineffectual as a sub this season so I don't know if I buy into the argument that he'll be a handy squad player next season. Valencia has looked much better coming off the bench than Mirallas, but I doubt he'll be signed permanently next season. Sample size is too small as Valencia has only started in 4 league games, but I think most people's opinion would be that Mirallas is a better player than Valencia - but IMO i'd rather have Valencia on the bench than Mirallas..

Mirallas has been ineffectual as a sub this season so I don't know if I buy into the argument that he'll be a handy squad player next season. Valencia has looked much better coming off the bench than Mirallas, but I doubt he'll be signed permanently next season. Sample size is too small as Valencia has only started in 4 league games, but I think most people's opinion would be that Mirallas is a better player than Valencia - but IMO i'd rather have Valencia on the bench than Mirallas..

I do think Valencia is the more humble player which in my eyes might make him a better sub. I've always liked Mirallas but his value as a sub has always seemed a bit dampened by the fact that he always appears to come on pissed off that he was a sub and usually to a negative effect.

If Koemans honesty over Barkley is anything to go by then here's his take on Mirallas, contract is agreed:

He told the Echo: “We have the agreement with the player, and that’s good. He’s a really good player but I have spoken to him and from him we need more productivity.”

Fella put a shift in tonight

maybe the new contract will give him a new lease on life. here's an excerpt from the interview once he signed:

Mirallas also revealed the opportunity to continue working with Koeman was another pivotal factor in his decision to extend his stay at Goodison.

The Belgian international added: “The manager was a very important part in my decision to sign a new contract because he believes in my qualities.

“I have spoken with the manager and I know he wants more from me - more assists, more goals, more consistency.

“I will work hard for that and hope to play even better next season.

“I think I need to be more consistent in games. All my family and friends say, ‘You need to do more, you need to do more,’ and I will work hard to achieve that.”

Shows that Koeman rates him and wants him here, which is important.

Ran his arse off yeah. I remember one part where he constantly chased defenders down in a 'truangle'. Got the crowd up a bit.

At least he's recognising that he isn't consistent enough. Maybe his best days are to come? Bit of maturity maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this quite strange.

Not really played as much as he should, behind a young striker stuck on the wing and then gets a new deal.

There has been some strange contracts this season.

Could not agree more.

Some of the contracts signed this season have been questionable to say the least:

- a 1 year extension for 36 year old Gareth Barry who plays in a position where we already have Gueye, Schneiderlin, Davies, McCarthy and Besic.

- Matthew Pennington getting a new 2 year deal, when next season he's going to be 24 years old and probably the 7th choice CB.

- Dominic Calvert-Lewin signing a new 5 year deal when he was already on a 4 year deal and hadn't really done anything too impressive since making his debut.

- Seamus Coleman, who still had 2 years left on his deal, signing a new 5 year contract weeks after suffering a double leg break with no return date.

- Kevin Mirallas getting this new 3 year deal after 2 consecutive underwhelming seasons.

I can't see how any of these are even transfer market-minded contract renewals. I thought Steve Walsh would help us make better decisions in the transfer/contracts market but my fear is that we still don't have a capable board and management making these decisions. To transform the club, half of it has to be on the field and the other half has to be off it.

Some of the new contracts may be due to clauses in the previous contract regarding appearances etc.

yep definately the case for DCL. Mirallas is cheap squad player, better than valencia and valencia would be 12m so it makes sense to lock up kev with wages and transfer fees sky rocketing. barry a good mentor for Davies and a koeman favorite, leader in the dressing room. coleman the contract was already agreed before the injury, it just happened the day before he was to sign it. non story there. pulling it would be a shambolic move and if he got healthy he'd probably want out.

people making something out of nothing. we need squad players.

• 2 months later...

Been hanging out for that season that Kev unleashes on the league. I'd honestly lost a lot of faith that it would ever happen but maybe without lukaku it will benefit him. He's capable of match winning/solo goals but if we can get the ball around the final third and look after it, he is one of our best finishers

Been hanging out for that season that Kev unleashes on the league. I'd honestly lost a lot of faith that it would ever happen but maybe without lukaku it will benefit him. He's capable of match winning/solo goals but if we can get the ball around the final third and look after it, he is one of our best finishers

He's too selfish and nowhere near good enough to be that. He will never be the player we all hoped.