IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfers-antolin-alcaraz-set-1931905

"The Spaniard will move swiftly to secure the services of his trusted centre-half Antolin Alcaraz, whose arrival will help him switch Everton to a 3-5-2 formation.

The 30-year-old Paraguay international, available on a free transfer, is a certain Toffees signing".

------------------------------------

No, No, No and No. If we got him would he play, because I don't think he will get ahead of Jags, Distin, Heitinga.

He used to play for our beloved Mirallas' team in Belgium for 3 years so I'm sure he'll have an informed opinion on the guy. I'd be fine with him as cover on a Bosman and short-term deal (1, maybe 2 seasons). Send Duffy on a season long loan to the Championship.

He used to play for our beloved Mirallas' team in Belgium for 3 years so I'm sure he'll have an informed opinion on the guy. I'd be fine with him as cover on a Bosman and short-term deal (1, maybe 2 seasons). Send Duffy on a season long loan to the Championship.

Think its time to give this lad his chance, He's an Irish international so its not as though he is a novice, i'm sure he knows how to play centre half, theres no need for us to have another wage earner when we dont need one.

FFS. Now it begins.

Can someone point out that their players got them relegated?

I doubt we'd be getting this guy as a replacement for Jagielka.

Think its time to give this lad his chance, He's an Irish international so its not as though he is a novice, i'm sure he knows how to play centre half, theres no need for us to have another wage earner when we dont need one.

He's likely only going to be 4th choice though. I'd rather he get real playtime somewhere else.

We could have him as cover but if we do get Martinez (which is basically a certain now but just waiting for an annoucement) then I can see him playing him above Distin or Heit becasue he likes him as a player.

Ok he is on a free transfer and his wage will probably only be 15-20k at the most. As Wigan highest earner is Al Habsi on 25k. Still people can't forget that if he was that good of a defender.

1) Wigan would have done everything to try and make him sign a new contract.

2) Wigan wouldn't of got relegated.

3) We wouldn't be getting him on a free instead we would have to pay.

Just don't see him fitting into the Everton team.

Duffy

He's likely only going to be 4th choice though. I'd rather he get real playtime somewhere else.

i can see what you are saying Steve, but the lad is an international and plays against international players, dropping him into the lower leagues will do him no good at all. If he is to go out on loan it needs to be in the prem to get more experience against the top players, but i'm hoping the new manager will use him more.

i can see what you are saying Steve, but the lad is an international and plays against international players, dropping him into the lower leagues will do him no good at all. If he is to go out on loan it needs to be in the prem to get more experience against the top players, but i'm hoping the new manager will use him more.

Would you honestly play him ahead of Distin or Jagielka though? He did fine when he played those couple of games for us in the league, but he also didn't strike me as particularly fast, and he's only really played at League One level. I'd be shopping him to decent sides in the Championship, so he can get 30 games under his belt and return next summer, when Distin's contract is up and likely won't be renewed again.

He's only played in the under 21s for Ireland.

Would you honestly play him ahead of Distin or Jagielka though? He did fine when he played those couple of games for us in the league, but he also didn't strike me as particularly fast, and he's only really played at League One level. I'd be shopping him to decent sides in the Championship, so he can get 30 games under his belt and return next summer, when Distin's contract is up and likely won't be renewed again.

I think the point is that we'll likely go to a back 3 so we'll need additional cover to be able to accommodate that formation, plus this guy already is already well versed in Martinez's tactical formations.

For free, seems like a no-brainer (esp if Heits goes for a decent fee).

Edited by SharpysVolley

I agree, sell Heitinga for money that we will unlikely be able to demand next year (he won't sign contract), invest in the squad. Looking at Alcaraz does anyone actually know if he is a bad player??? Seriously - does anyone watch a wigan game and think let's have a look at Alcaraz here, is he any good??? You can't just judge a player by his teams defensive record - you rely on them working well as a unit, and if that unit has suffered injuries then they will concede.

My opinion is that many fans will look for 'names' and not actually have an informed opinion. Its the same annoying thing we here when people will say "Darron Gibson, he's garbage, he hits them into row Z from 40 yards, thats about it" - they have no awareness that he is very intelligent, makes space, creates a good tempo, has a great range of passing, then when you ask who they support its Liverpool...

I agree, sell Heitinga for money that we will unlikely be able to demand next year (he won't sign contract), invest in the squad. Looking at Alcaraz does anyone actually know if he is a bad player??? Seriously - does anyone watch a wigan game and think let's have a look at Alcaraz here, is he any good??? You can't just judge a player by his teams defensive record - you rely on them working well as a unit, and if that unit has suffered injuries then they will concede.

My opinion is that many fans will look for 'names' and not actually have an informed opinion. Its the same annoying thing we here when people will say "Darron Gibson, he's garbage, he hits them into row Z from 40 yards, thats about it" - they have no awareness that he is very intelligent, makes space, creates a good tempo, has a great range of passing, then when you ask who they support its Liverpool...

When everyone was going on about Gibbo I was defending him. I thought he was a good player for United just he didn't feature in their plans. I always admired Gibbo, but I agree a lot of people on here were wanting him to be hung out to dry before he kicked a ball for Everton. Then we he signed everybody opinions changed. I do agree that you can't judge a player by what people say about them.

I just don't rate Alcaraz, he seems to be without a head at times and if you watch the Wigan games he likes to blame other players for the goals and by the end of the season he wasn't bothered if they conceeded.

Anybody searched Alcaraz on wikipedia?

Alcaraz won the 2013 FA Cup, featuring the full 90 minutes in the 1–0 upset against Manchester City.[10] However, only three days later, with him on the pitch again, Wigan were relegated from the top division following a 1–4 defeat at Arsenal.[11]

On June 4th he was strongly linked to Everton FC, it's said that Alcaraz is interested as he like a Greggs and enjoys getting his fingers wet and has been recommended the Black Horse. He has also said he will perform the Wigan Wiggle in there, only of everyone breaks a leg and wears a Ali Al Habsi face mask.

WTF!? Haha

I really hope we don't sign him.

+1.

The down-side to Martinez being the new boss is that we all have to start shitting ourselves over which Wigan players he will bring to the team. Apart from McManaman, Maloney, McArthur and possibly Kone the rest aren't good enough to sell hot-dogs outside the ground.

Not a bloody clue, mate

Our friends at Wikipedia suggest that he has also been a part of the senior squad though Mike.

He's been in the squad but not played (which is what I said :)).

Doesnt matter about the age group, if he plays for the international side, he plays against international players.

So the same would apply if he'd only played in the under nines :P?

So the same would apply if he'd only played in the under nines :P?

Of course it Does Mike, excuse me for repeating myself but ....

"If he plays for the international side he plays against international players", the age group is irrelevant

Edited by Bill

So now that Martinez is appointed who will be his first signing? Alcaraz? Be interesting to see what he comes out with when he has a press conference and whether he is thinking about any Wigan players.

Sure hope not! More likely (and hopefully) McCarthy.