IGNORED

Alfred Finnbogason

His goal scoring record is good recently and he's relatively young at 24. The Dutch league seems like a bit of a gamble in terms of players lately, some going on to do quite well and others flopping in the PL. Moyes sees something in him so I'd be happy for him to join if the fee was sensible. We definitely need a striker.

Weird one regarding Vidarsson when I went onto his Wikipedia page. Apparently we loaned him to FC Twente but he never played a league game and was then signed on a permenant basis and still failed to make his debut - what a waste?

As Mike said he's now with Silkeborg and has managed to get his first goal for them in 4 appearances.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I don't really rate him. He's been scoring goals, but I don't see any of the attributes that could mean he might be able to translate that to a higher level as well.

We're linked with lots of players from the Eredivisie lately, btw. There's two strikers in Holland who I like a lot. Vitesse's Ivorian striker Wilfried Bony is the best striker in Holland at the moment and I would very much like him here. AZ's American striker Jozy Altidore has improved by leaps and bounds this year and I think he might be a bit cheaper and perhaps present even better value than Bony.

Edited by Steve_E

I don't know how to feel about Jozy. Would he carry over his AZ form to Everton, or would he play like he does with the US National team? Sure he's starved for service at times with the US squad, but it's not like the BPL plays at the pace they do in Holland. The game is slower and the defenders are much better here. We shall see.

Edit: Having another Yank here would make me quite happy though jump%20for%20joy.gif

Edited by Toffee_in_LA

To be honest, I don't really rate him. He's been scoring goals, but I don't see any of the attributes that could mean he might be able to translate that to a higher level as well.

We're linked with lots of players from the Eredivisie lately, btw. There's two strikers in Holland who I like a lot. Vitesse's Ivorian striker Wilfried Bony is the best striker in Holland at the moment and I would very much like him here. AZ's American striker Jozy Altidore has improved by leaps and bounds this year and I think he might be a bit cheaper and perhaps present even better value than Bony.

Would love to see Jozy here. He's a beast.

I would prefer to sign no strikers from the dutch league. Its to soft. MF's are a different story because they tend develop some really strong creative or strong holding players, but the dutch strikers seem to always struggle adapting to the physicality of the English game, and on Evertons budget we cannot afford to give a striker a full season to find his feet.

I don't know how to feel about Jozy. Would he carry over his AZ form to Everton, or would he play like he does with the US National team? Sure he's starved for service at times with the US squad, but it's not like the BPL plays at the pace they do in Holland. The game is slower and the defenders are much better here. We shall see.

Edit: Having another Yank here would make me quite happy though jump%20for%20joy.gif

Jozy has done great for AZ, and he is a physically imposing player, but I'm not sure he would fit in well with Everton for the same reason he struggles with USMNT, build up play. Everton and US both lack that creative guy in the middle to give strikers easy chances. To often its dibble outside then cut inside or cross. NEVER are there those moments where the opposite team is on their back feet with someone dribbling at them(Coleman is the exception, but he lacks the skill to turn those into goals) to feed a through ball to the forward. Both teams look for attackers to hold up play despite most of the teem being 20 yards deep.

I would prefer to sign no strikers from the dutch league. Its to soft. MF's are a different story because they tend develop some really strong creative or strong holding players, but the dutch strikers seem to always struggle adapting to the physicality of the English game, and on Evertons budget we cannot afford to give a striker a full season to find his feet.

Of the 6 players nominated for Player of the Year in the Premier League, 2 are strikers signed from the Dutch league (Suarez and van Persie).

About Altidore, he was only 20 years old when he was playing for Hull and he has come a long way since. To me, he's a better version of Vic. He's got the pace and power, but he's got more skill. He can make runs in behind (and unlike Jelavic, he's got pace so defenders can't catch up with him), he can hold the ball up, he can bring others into play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCH-dpg0_s

That clip was uploaded a month ago. Just this weekend he assisted with a wonderful back heel pass, he brushed a free kick from just outside of the box over the wall and into the goal and scored another one.

Suarez, RvP, Bergkamp, Henrik Larsson, etc etc etc.

Of the 6 players nominated for Player of the Year in the Premier League, 2 are strikers signed from the Dutch league (Suarez and van Persie).

About Altidore, he was only 20 years old when he was playing for Hull and he has come a long way since. To me, he's a better version of Vic. He's got the pace and power, but he's got more skill. He can make runs in behind (and unlike Jelavic, he's got pace so defenders can't catch up with him), he can hold the ball up, he can bring others into play.

That clip was uploaded a month ago. Just this weekend he assisted with a wonderful back heel pass, he brushed a free kick from just outside of the box over the wall and into the goal and scored another one.

He's been insane for Alkmaar. 30 goals in all competitions.

Definitely a lot better than he was for Hull!

I'm sure when he was over here he looked a lot like Vic actually. Big, powerful but generally a bit clumsy and not the greatest finisher but he looks a different player in that video (and a couple more I looked at of him in Spain). Really quick with lightening acceleration (for a big lad), great composure, good close control with impressive movement.

Gentleman those are all great players, However with the expception of RVP they were all 15M+ players and only RVN was a dominant goalscorer his 1st season after leaving Holland. They have a plethora of skillfull players in Holland. I just dont think for the money it is worth waiting a full season to reap the rewards. IMHO we would be better served from poaching strikers from lower Bundesliga sides or clubs in Spain or France with financial difficulties. There are some good strikers out there which would be much less than Jozy such as Imanol Agirretxe, Nils Peterson, Mame Diouf, Johnathan Soria, Simon Makienok, Chuli, Imoh Ezekial, or Nicklas Helenious. And Yes Jozy has had an incredible year.

Gentleman those are all great players, However with the expception of RVP they were all €15M+ players and only RVN was a dominant goalscorer his 1st season after leaving Holland. They have a plethora of skillfull players in Holland. I just dont think for the money it is worth waiting a full season to reap the rewards. IMHO we would be better served from poaching strikers from lower Bundesliga sides or clubs in Spain or France with financial difficulties. There are some good strikers out there which would be much less than Jozy such as Imanol Agirretxe, Nils Peterson, Mame Diouf, Johnathan Soria, Simon Makienok, Chuli, Imoh Ezekial, or Nicklas Helenious. And Yes Jozy has had an incredible year.

What makes you think players from the Danish, Austrian and Belgian leagues or from the Spanish second division would have an easier time adapting to the Premier League than one from the better Dutch league? I don't know most of those players, but I do know Ezekiel really well and while he's talented, he doesn't fit our scheme. There's no way he can play as the lone striker, that's something you have to take into account as well. I also don't think he'd be much cheaper than Altidore, I think they'll both be about €8m and I think that will probably be about what the rest of those players cost as well. Altidore isn't the next van Persie or Suarez so he's not a €15m+ player.

What makes you think players from the Danish, Austrian and Belgian leagues or from the Spanish second division would have an easier time adapting to the Premier League than one from the better Dutch league? I don't know most of those players, but I do know Ezekiel really well and while he's talented, he doesn't fit our scheme. There's no way he can play as the lone striker, that's something you have to take into account as well. I also don't think he'd be much cheaper than Altidore, I think they'll both be about €8m and I think that will probably be about what the rest of those players cost as well. Altidore isn't the next van Persie or Suarez so he's not a €15m+ player.

I thought Ezekiel was more of a €3-5m player based off Liege recent player sales, and most of the players I listed would be in that range. I think based off recent Dutch transfers for a player with Altidore's goal ratio and two+ years left on his deal would be a €15+m player. My point was that there is going to be an adapting time for most players, and Everton should avoid expensive players that are unable to make their presence felt immediately especially because this summer we are likely to lose a key player. BTW I agree Ezekiel is not a lone striker,(Note, All conjecture beyond this point) however after reading this and the rumors surrounding Lescott coming back I was hoping Moyes was looking at playing 3 at the back and playing Baines and Coleman as wings allowing us 2 up front.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...