IGNORED

Football Hooliganism - Film crew looking for some advice about your rivalry!

Paul!

Hey guys, we are a young film crew based in Sheffield and we are looking for some help and information about the hooliganism which has existed between Everton and Liverpool. We would like to know any places you recommend we visit to meet former hooligans, or interesting stories about the two clubs. We will be filming in Liverpool from the 18th to the 20th of February. Our film will show the decline of hooliganism in a positive light - we want to talk about how much better we can all enjoy the game without it! If anyone can offer us some help or even recommend or know anyone who wouldn't mind a quick interview that would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Paul

Hey guys, we are a young film crew based in Sheffield and we are looking for some help and information about the hooliganism which has existed between Everton and Liverpool.

What hooliganism? Never seen any at a derby.

Sure there have been bits and pieces of trouble over the years but nothing like the organised clashes between rival gangs that I understand "hooliganism" to be...and I've been watching football since the sixties, so right through the bad days.

We are not trying to imply that this side of our game exists now, more so around the 80's.. Do you have any experiences?

Atmosphere between Liverpool and Everton fans in the eighties was superb....mixed on the terraces, never a sniff of trouble as far as I saw or was ever aware of.

I have Millwall as a favorite London soccer side so there could be some scope for soccer hooligan elements there.

Next thursday, in the parking lot of Poundland in Lewisham - bring your crew shaking fist.pngshaking fist.pngshaking fist.png

No, as said, we don't have that kind of issue with Liverpool. Supporters have been well documented to sit with each other. They may not like each other, but it's good natured enough and they have to realize, that without Everton Football Club - they wouldn't even exist.

If you watch a recording of the 1986 or '89 FA cup finals (or 1991 Fifth round games as another example) you will see shite, sorry, Liverpool supporters and our fans in close proximity, and just let the best side win. There's no real thing as soccer hooligan elements between our supporters.

This is not Boca Juniors vs River Plate son

It's getting worse the rivalry. I've had a season ticket for years now and at it seems that every year more and more incidents occur around me. Idiots still think that its fine to have 'mixed terraces' when in this day and age it's not going to work. I've never seen 'hooliganism' in terms of groups of fans attacking one another but I have seen Liverpool fans in the Everton end trying to spark off trouble (which usually leads to a few punches thrown and a few being dragged out).

I think they threw paint over the Dixie Dean statue too a few years ago, you might want to include that in your film.

The idiots are the people who make it not work....it should be possible to have mixed areas at every ground.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be able to work. If I was sat next to a Liverpool fan I'd respect them, it's just that considering its a derby there are obviously going to be different views throughout and tensions are surely going to get heated. Tempers flare on the pitch and that also happens in the stands, it's time for people to realise that whilst fans should be able to sit side by side in reality its not the right thing to do.

Thanks to Zoo for the sensible reply - do you have any other experiences? Anything you have seen? Do you have any ideas of who we could potentially talk to about this subject?

Mike, thanks for your response. However, I think you have to be very naive to believe there is no hooliganism going on between Everton and Liverpool. Its a problem that exists from the small to the big clubs. This is why we want to promote the decline of hooliganism within the sport.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks to Zoo for the sensible reply - do you have any other experiences? Anything you have seen? Do you have any ideas of who we could potentially talk to about this subject?

Mike, thanks for your response. However, I think you have to be very naive to believe there is no hooliganism going on between Everton and Liverpool. Its a problem that exists from the small to the big clubs. This is why we want to promote the decline of hooliganism within the sport.

Cheers,

Paul.

Yes, but back then you'd be sitting next to you brother or cousin, hardly going to kick off. Even now there's kopites scattered around the ground if they're a loud mouth their told to move or at most a little dig in the head or a push, no 'stanley knives' or other blood lust. Sorry, you're barking up the wrong tree. However, you can check the S*n or better yet just do as they do to get the story you want.

I think " the freindly derby " is very much a thing of the past.

I follow Everton home and away and I would say the only game of the season that pretty much gurantees trouble now is the derby.

Granted your never going to get mass brawls between the two sets of supporters but there are more and more nasty incidents creeping into the game now , and if you go into town after a derby and say the wrong thing at the wrong time things will quickly turn ugly

Thanks to Zoo for the sensible reply....

You insinuate that the other replies aren't sensible.....bit f'cking rude if you come asking for help I'd have thought?

Think you need to be more specific in your definition of "hooliganism." A punch up in a city centre pub is isolated violence....for me (having been going to matches through the worst of it), hooliganism is rival firms meeting up for mass pre arranged fights, or one crew ambushing another at a station.

That has nothing to do with an emotional reaction fuelled by alcohol.

Two completely different things.

Your welcome.

No, I don't have any other experiances sadly (for you), the only trouble I've seen is at the derby and it does happen for those that believe it doesn't. I've just seen the odd fist thrown and the odd scuffle (nothing to do with knives or anything) and it's always sorted quickly as the stewards are on high alert.

I don't know anyone you could talk to though (I'm not really in with the 'hardmen' of the football grounds) although one of my friends dad (who I used to hang round with when I was about 5/6) is a Liverpool supporter and he said that he took his son out of the Liverpool v Manchester United game because some of the United fans had sat in the Liverpool end and were passing pen-knives to each other under the seats (which obviously is fucking mental).

Other than that I've got nothing, hope it helps and good luck with your film.

I've seen fights break out, or disagreements, between our own supporters at games, never mind towards opposition sides, but never needed to get involved. I simply see no sense in hostilities with supporters of your own club.

Obviously, the level of soccer disorder today is not what it once was prior to the Taylor report or the 1970s or 1980s in general, but make no mistake about it, isolated incidents still are underway but we've moved a long way from the dark days of before. Most clubs will have rivalries or isolated outbursts with others, but we're simply not on the level with some others. Incidents will occur at Merseyside derby games, due to a handful of Idiots who can't hold their liquor or are just intent on trouble, but it's not quite the level as some other fixtures across the UK or indeed others overseas, you could think of. Go take in a game such as Ajax vs Feyenoord or Fenerbache vs Galatasary then report back to Goodison/Anfield and make a comparison.

I don't participate in soccer violence for anything that goes on. Seen situations before on the road with the club with rival supporters that had the potential to turn unsavory, but things were always thankfully extinguished soon enough. Once again, while you will never take the hooligan element away from the game as a whole, we have moved on considerably in the last 20 years, and soccer today is more family friendly than most will remember. The relevant Idiots, who try to spoil the enjoyment for others, will not succeed.

Been trying to eradicate any spelling errors and such, but the eyes are damn tired, but that's all I got to say on the issue for now.

You insinuate that the other replies aren't sensible.....bit f'cking rude if you come asking for help I'd have thought?

Think you need to be more specific in your definition of "hooliganism." A punch up in a city centre pub is isolated violence....for me (having been going to matches through the worst of it), hooliganism is rival firms meeting up for mass pre arranged fights, or one crew ambushing another at a station.

That has nothing to do with an emotional reaction fuelled by alcohol.

Two completely different things.

Exactly what I thought mate.

I can't be doing with guys interested in hooliganism. Guy needs to focus his energies on something more worthwhile.