IGNORED

Why are we stuck in this rut?

Avinalaff

"Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting shit to change".

A quote from Farcry 3, but it's spot on.

So, chasge things Davey. We seem to start out exactly the same regardless of who we play. Our midfield was none existent today, and golden boy Jags doesn't get the concept that if you hoof it up, you cut out the creative players, and generally lose the ball.

We don't look fit.

Pienaar and Osman especially are looking like they need a break, and Fellaini is left to do everything. We are not pressing high enough up the pitch to maintain control, and the rot is starting to set in.

4th place my arse.

I believe its:

An on form striker

Service to said striker

Remember, still only lost 3 games all season, thats the same as the current leader and only one more loss than Man City. If we had the goals we would be right up there with the teams from Manchester.

Still our best season in a while. Its not all doom and gloom. Remember that Spurs only got 1 point.

We can still get into europe. Perhaps not CL but we are not out of the running yet for CL and its almost feb. Remember our conversations in the summer? Its like we almost expect to be in CL now. My how things change.

COYB!

Also injuries.

Gibbo, Mirallas, Hibbo, Heitinga, Coleman. All important players and we dont have the squad to cope. Looks like Coleman could be injured again, just when he has found his form.

Yeah injuries do hit us hard, like Avin has said squad is to small to cope with more than 2 players out it seems

Very good point. It's the uncertainty that seems to bleed into the players subconsciousness.

Things need shaking up desperately. Jelavic did that for us last January, more excitement is needed to boost the morale and squad.

Some players need resting, some "new" players need game time. Vellios and Barkley (who's impressing again out on loan) really needed to be included more in the 1st team following the congested Christmas period. Even if it was for one game?

We can only attack down the left, thats our problem. We need both wings to be effective as at the moment our tactics are stale. We also need a striker who can score as the chance Jelly had yesterday should have been put away (and if it had would have given us three points).

We've kept 2 clean sheets after having a PL record of consecutive games with goals conceded but have become more impotent up front.

Just shows how much we needed Jelavic and Gibson last January as without them we're struggling. Admittedly, we're only 'without' Jela in terms of his form.

Gibbo could be back for West Brom, Mirallas back in the team with Vic and we'll be a lot more offensive, depends if we go back to being porous again.

We could do with a player or 2 to come in and freshen things up to get us moving again.

Jelavic is a top class striker, and his luck will return.

Yes I know but we are missing his form at the moment and that's the reason we are not winning games. I'd like to see Mirallas played up front but then we'd still have a dire right-wing.

Yes I know but we are missing his form at the moment and that's the reason we are not winning games. I'd like to see Mirallas played up front but then we'd still have a dire right-wing.

How many goals has Mirallas scored so far for Everton?

Id like to see Anichebe up front and Mirallas on the wing.

Jelavic isn't getting the service Zoo.

Yesterday, he missed a decent chance (it wasn't a gimme) but that was just bad luck, as were his efforts that hit the post and the bar a few games ago. Give him 10 chances per game and he'll probably score plenty.

Vic + Jelavic seemed to work, but only because Vic took the game by the scruff of the neck and provided some service. I was surprised that Moyes put Mirallas on, and took Jelavic off. I'd have put Mirallas on the right, as we had lost Coleman, and Jags was hoofing it, because he had no forward option.

Jelly might need a game off, and a big reassurance that it's one step backwards to take two steps forward, but he's not the reason we are struggling. Teams are cruising through our midfield at will, as for all Ozzies skill, he has little to offer in terms of prevention.

Sorry for being blunt, but I believe it's simply this; we're not that good.

Now, don't misconstrue that. Compared to most of the EPL we are a very good team. However, while I don't think a top-4 finish is impossible, I don't think it's something we should expect, either. If I told you guys in July that as of late January we'd be fifth in the EPL and ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool while being within realistic striking distance of Chelsea and Tottenham... I think most of you would have gladly accepted that.

That's not to say that certain players are not in poor form right now and that there haven't been some games where we underachieved. But I think, on the whole, we're in a very good spot right now compared to what at least my expectations were coming into the season. I'm hopeful for a Champions League spot but I think a top-6 finish is what we should realistically expect.

Edited by thoward18

Sorry for being blunt, but I believe it's simply this; we're not that good.

Now, don't misconstrue that. Compared to most of the EPL we are a very good team. However, while I don't think a top-4 finish is impossible, I don't think it's something we should expect, either. If I told you guys in July that as of late January we'd be fifth in the EPL and ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool while being within realistic striking distance of Chelsea and Tottenham... I think most of you would have gladly accepted that.

That's not to say that certain players are not in poor form right now and that there haven't been some games where we underachieved. But I think, on the whole, we're in a very good spot right now compared to what at least my expectations were coming into the season. I'm hopeful for a Champions League spot but I think a top-6 finish is what we should realistically expect.

It's not our position that frustrates me, but our performances. We are light years away from our first 6 games.

It's not our position that frustrates me, but our performances. We are light years away from our first 6 games.

Well yes I agree. Like I said, we have definitely not played to our ability in some games recently. That being siad, our run of form early in the season was pretty ridiculous. My point is simply that it's balanced out for the most part, I think. Obviously, this needs to stop soon and we need to start picking up points against teams like Southampton. Osman, Pienaar, and Baines to a degree need to figure out their shit. Jelavic has actually been pretty good aside from the fact that he's completely forgotten how to put the ball in the net. My point is simply that this isn't a major concern for me yet. Man U and City are the only teams that should really expect to win most games. For everyone else, good and bad stretches are going to happen. We're in a bad stretch right now. It happens. Time to figure it out, though.

Well yes I agree. Like I said, we have definitely not played to our ability in some games recently. That being siad, our run of form early in the season was pretty ridiculous. My point is simply that it's balanced out for the most part, I think. Obviously, this needs to stop soon and we need to start picking up points against teams like Southampton. Osman, Pienaar, and Baines to a degree need to figure out their shit. Jelavic has actually been pretty good aside from the fact that he's completely forgotten how to put the ball in the net. My point is simply that this isn't a major concern for me yet. Man U and City are the only teams that should really expect to win most games. For everyone else, good and bad stretches are going to happen. We're in a bad stretch right now. It happens. Time to figure it out, though.

When our players are earning 75% of our turnover, they have no right to be playing shite.

Moyes should put them 'all' up for sale, and only take the adverts down when they pull their fingers out of their over paid arses.

Last night, Osman was uninterested, and should be docked a weeks wage. Pienaar and Baines have gotten lazy. Jagielka constantly gave the ball away yet again, and should be in the office over the desk with his pants down like a head boy who has displeased the headmaster once too often. Naismith had a shot on goal, but is not a right sided wing man, and just like Osman a few years ago, looks shit there.

Jelavic isnt the reason we arent winning games! We should have been 3 down by half time for starters and then as Avin points out, our midfield recently have been walked over.

Jelavic isn't getting the service Zoo.

Yesterday, he missed a decent chance (it wasn't a gimme) but that was just bad luck, as were his efforts that hit the post and the bar a few games ago. Give him 10 chances per game and he'll probably score plenty.

Vic + Jelavic seemed to work, but only because Vic took the game by the scruff of the neck and provided some service. I was surprised that Moyes put Mirallas on, and took Jelavic off. I'd have put Mirallas on the right, as we had lost Coleman, and Jags was hoofing it, because he had no forward option.

Jelly might need a game off, and a big reassurance that it's one step backwards to take two steps forward, but he's not the reason we are struggling. Teams are cruising through our midfield at will, as for all Ozzies skill, he has little to offer in terms of prevention.

Blimey, I actually agree with you completely! Osman needs a rest, its like he is wearing lead boots. This is why Barkley should have played against Cheltenham and Osman given a rest :P

Wasn't he back in the center yesterday?

He switched for about 5 mins in the first half when we were already up against the cosh but he only moved back after Coleman went off and unsurprisingly we played better as a result.

Playing lumped balls upto Felliani is starting to get right on my nerves... Why have a £30m midfielder do a role that you could just get Grant Holt, Ricky Lambert, Carlton Cole to do at a fraction at his cost without the need to take one of the most elegant midfield space creators - who buys his team mates time and composure by being available to take a ball, control it and move it away from the opponents.

It was no coincidence that when fellaini moved into midfield and Neville into right back (a double win getting an ineffective midfielder at right back, and replaced by a dominant composed figure) we played some nice stuff, the ball went on the deck more and we attacked the full backs creating chances... it wasn't moyes identifying that needed to happen, it was colemans injury that forced it - worrying!

Moyes needs to wake up, he is set in his ways so much it's untrue. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the sort of cvharacter you could set your watch to the time he walks to the paper shop, or has barmaids pulling a pint at 9.29pm ready for him being at the bar for 9.30pm.

As with Tim Cahill before him, Fellainis deployment in that hole is costing the striker the ability to apply his guile. Jelavic hasn't got the space to exploit any gaps between the centre halves as Fellianis prescence there is inviting them to occupy the area where Jelavic needs to be free. TC made it work when he went out wide and left the striker to be the central figure - when it was the other way around it starved the striker (saha, yak, beckford, AJ) of their workspace.

Moyes needs to see why the changes made last night almost got us a result - if he made those changes without the injury prompting it I would have been made up. Asw i've stated before - being boss doesnt always make you right.

i think technically Mr Moyes is a good coach - but i have my reservations whether he has the abillity to really see which position suits which player best in which game against whom -

it also does not appear as though he is reading the game and the players on both sides pass by pass - the Southampton coach might not speak english well but he was in constant contact with his players on the pitch with eye contact and sign language - you could see he was already part of the team - hope his lack of english does not count against him -

it appears as though we have a plan A cast in stone - gameplan and subs worked out days before - the modern game requires more adaptability and strategy -

sending any long ball to Naismith is just senseless - his lack of height disqualifies him as such - a no brainer for me but not for the Everton coach or captain it seems -

we are not playing beautifull effective soccer lately - we are scrambling results - it could turn nasty quickly if we do not lift our game soon

Naismith was surprisingly good in the air, surprisngly in the sense that he actually won a few. Regardless of that it is a quite frankly ridiclous tactic and in many ways an insult to those fans that travelled to the south coast for that yesterday. We were made to look like a pub team against a supposedly weaker team - my worries for this came about in the game against Cheltenham - we even lumped it up against them.

Moyes can shove his new contract up his arse if he thinks that £70k a week buys tactics fit for the team of old when the likes of Pembridge, Unsworth, Gemmil, Pistone aimed for Duncan to knock them down for no one. Jags is a stopper - very good at it, but what makes him think he can pass like Bobby Moore or Beckenbauer??? He doesnt do it for England so he can piss off doing it for us. We have capable footballers, unfortunately Moyes sees fit to utilise a one based, technically lacking Phil Neville in the engine room. We didnt turn the ball over well enough last night, and when we did get the ball resumed lumping it back to their centre halves.

Sadly, another one of moyes strikers looks like he is heading the way of all that went before him, a strained neck, shattered confidence and 90 minutes chasing lost causes.

OK lads I've sorted it....thought it was time to take one for the team so I've dropped Jelavic from my fantasy XI.

He'll now start scoring for fun....guaranteed.

I did that with Jelly and Baines ha ha, but no joy.

I have Fellaini left who is getting sold soon as. I tried to bring in Bale (he did get injured) and Suarez (keeps scoring) and Mata is too good, so back to the drawing board lol.