IGNORED

Kenwright threatened? (1996)

Louis

http://www.sabotaget...-legend-madman/

One evening in the summer of 1996 I was about to settle down to dinner at home with my family when the phone rang. PJ Proby was on the line and he sounded angry. “Jon,” he said, “get your sorry ass out of that chair and make your way to the West End without delay. Tonight I’m going to kill a man and I want you to witness the event, for posterity.”

Clearly, this was not an opportunity to be missed.

In no time at all I was sitting with Proby backstage at a London theatre where he was the star turn in a musical about Elvis. Seems he’d got it into his head that the show’s producer, Bill Kenwright, owed him money, and that Kenwright must die that very night. Proby seemed entirely serious about delivering on his threat, even claiming to have a loaded .45 in his bag. An anxious hour passed before some flunky appeared and handed Proby an envelope stuffed with cash. Proby carefully counted the money and appeared satisfied. At least, he never mentioned the death threat again for the remainder of the evening.