IGNORED

Joey Barton

I'm happy to have him here. Great player to watch. Why are some of you being such moralistic twats? It's not as if you're all saints.

really? bit uncalled for

and yeah i'm sure we aren't all saints but i can't imagine any of us would stub out a cigar in a kids eye or twat a 15 year old?

the man is a loose cannon...maybe he can't help it, maybe he can...either way he shouldn't be representing this club

Edited by marcopaulo

really? bit uncalled for

Sorry, mum! Come on, though. The outrage at this is bogus. The guy has had his issues, but I don't understand why some here would be so adamantly opposed to a quality player, even with his personal issues, wanting to come play for the club he's always supported.

Sorry, mum! Come on, though. The outrage at this is bogus. The guy has had his issues, but I don't understand why some here would be so adamantly opposed to a quality player, even with his personal issues, wanting to come play for the club he's always supported.

if anyone could guarantee he'd behave then i'd be less opposed even after what he's done in the past..but i just couldn't accept such a nasty individual...if you're fine to look upon and cheer such human beings then that's your choice...but to call me a moralistic twat just because i don't agree with the way he behaves is a bit out of line

I'm with you JQ. Bit far calling everyone twats like but he's an Evertonian and would give 100% every week. On low wages and a free why would anyone say no? He's had his problems but if he could keep a lid on it he would be a brilliant player. I actually wouldn't mind him being a loose cannon with other teams, we need a player the opposition are afraid of.

I'm with you JQ. Bit far calling everyone twats like but he's an Evertonian and would give 100% every week. On low wages and a free why would anyone say no? He's had his problems but if he could keep a lid on it he would be a brilliant player. I actually wouldn't mind him being a loose cannon with other teams, we need a player the opposition are afraid of.

Zoo, I don't agree with you often. But I feel you're being levelheaded here.

About using the word "twats"... Why is this getting everyone's panties in a bunch? I don't actively dislike any of you. Just pointing out how over the top I think some of these reactions are.

Zoo, I don't agree with you often. But I feel you're being levelheaded here.

About using the word "twats"... Why is this getting everyone's panties in a bunch? I don't actively dislike any of you. Just pointing out how over the top I think some of these reactions are.

I'm a fan of Barton (as a player) but I can totally understand the opposition the thought of him signing is getting. I mean, he did put a cigar out on an Everton fans face!

Soon afterwards the stories started to come back about the way Barton talked to staff at City. Then followed the first reports that he was dangerous. There was the argument with the YTS trainee that ended with Barton stubbing a cigar into the boy's eye. Then the pre-season trip to Bangkok when a 15-year-old Everton fan was slapped across the face and the journalists who witnessed it were shocked by the scale of Barton's temper and where it nearly took him. Very soon everyone in football knew Barton had a fuse like Tommy deVito's, Joe Pesci's character in
Goodfellas. Treat with caution. Don't, whatever you do, call him funny.

Yeah but I think he's been told if he wants to he can leave so long as he pays some compensation. He's stated that he only joined for money (due to his girlfriend/wife being pregnant) and has said numerous times he won't go back so he's as good as gone to be honest.

maybe it's the just the manner in which you barged into the conversation calling everyone who is opposed to him coming here a twat...i'm not against bad language(ha obviously) but just coming straight out with that is a bit rude i'd say...i didn't take it personally just saying

Maybe we've just exposed a difference in UK-US men's cultures... Nobody in the states would blink at that part of the statement. There would probably be more of a problem with the "moralistic" part of it.

I think the biggest thing will be off the football/training pitch. In France he'd have gone unnoticed to some extent when not at work but here, especially around and about Liverpool it will be a totally different story, people will be looking for that reaction, reporters will be looking for that front/back page.

No one is questioning Barton's footballing ability here. Maybe he's matured, although some of his twitter rants suggest otherwise (see Hamman-gate!) but he's got a family now, hopefully the 'boozing in town' is in the past and that's his main out of work focus.

I guess we will see...

Edited by c1982

His career and life have been marked by numerous controversial incidents and disciplinary problems[4] and he has been convicted twice on charges of violence. On 20 May 2008 he was sentenced to six months' imprisonment for common assault and affray during an incident in Liverpool City Centre.[5] Barton served 77 days of this prison term, being released on 28 July 2008.[6] On 1 July 2008 he was also given a four months suspended sentence after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former teammate Ousmane Dabo during a training ground dispute on 1 May 2007.[7] This incident effectively ended his Manchester City career.[8] Barton has been charged with violent conduct three times by The Football Association: for the assault on Dabo,[9] for punching Morten Gamst Pedersen in the stomach[10] and for attacking three players on the final day of the 2011–12 season.[11]

and this doesn't even mention the cigar stubbing incident.

The bloke has a screw loose. It has to be a big IF that he could keep his head together. A question to his supporters - What do you think our other players would make of him joining the squad. He has given some former team mates a leathering (not just a punch) before now.

There is a difference between somebody with a bit of steel about them and a out and out thug.

Please just stick to France and twitter Mr Barton- In the long run I feel you will bring more bad than good to the Everton badge

Cheap wages, free transfer, we could use another half decent (which I think he is a top player) central midfielder.

Fair enough I agree I think hes a bit of a C***! However, he wants to play for the passion of his team now, lets give him a season and see how he gets on!