IGNORED

FA Cup draw

MikeO

Paddy Power have us as seventh favorites for the competition next year. (11/1)

The opposition are available at 1000/1, so not to leave them out

How they managed Liverpool in fifth place only they know. And Arsenal can't even recognize a trophy anymore so you can leave them out. (6th place)

Cardiff City seem tempting at 80/1, but won't be placing any bets.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/uk-football/fa-cup/FA-Cup-2012-2013-3869843.html?force_racing_css=N

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't got much time today but it's coming to something when we even get last place on the FA cup draw ! I hope we don't ever enter a marathon.

Or could it be a sign that this club will be the last remaining at the very end of the competition - as winners of course. The latter may be worthy of some thought.

Most draws are rigged or set or however they want it, and the FA cup is no exception, but there's nothing much we can do about it, and an away tie at Sunderland or Bolton Wanderers ? Damn it, could have been more favorable than that. Not really looking forward to either of them, and if we want to progress, it's going to be difficult. But it's a disrespect to Cheltenham as we still have them to do battle with yet.

Even bet the plastics or Manchester United got a fucking home draw against lower league opposition. You can sort of tell something's up each time with the same damn fixtures and teams getting favorable games.

But last time we beat Sunderland we went a long way, and Bolton - that would have been 1994, and we went out to them in a third round replay if I remember, but either side will present a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting with the Bolton fans for this one as there is pretty much 0 chance for me to get a ticket in the away end. Not sure how I will be able to contain myself if we score, and will feel really stupid now if we don't sell out. Tickets are already sold out in many sections of the Bolton stands as well though so didn't want to risk missing it.

I would have wanted Sunderland for this I think. Still remember that defeat in 1994 and this time again it will be far from straight forward. The old Burnden Park venue had a better atmosphere than what they have now. Big isn't always better. Bolton have done well in cup tourneys in recent years, reached the final in 2004, so they have some recent pedigree out there. I expect this to be a difficult match, but if we can win, it will be one step nearer to that elusive trophy and take each round as it comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I saw it - and we could have played them instead of all things (LIverpool) !

I remember the games between us in 1989/90 when Royle was their manager and it went to a second replay when Harvey was our manager at the time, They were some great games.

Got to feel confident with this, even though they have done well today.

Millwall at Luton Town also - remember 1985 !

Presumably Matt Smith will be missing....don't know anything about him but he was great today apparently.

Baxter will be up for it.

Smith was a constant handful. If Johnny is in defence against him we'll get boned. Worked tirelessly and a well deserved man of the match.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Baxter put us out!

I forgot all about when we played them a couple of years ago and we lost 0 - 1 at home on the day.

But first thing I thought of was 1990 and those fifth round games - they were much more enjoyable, even though we did eventally lose, but they had a very good side at the time with Royle. Ritchie, Palmer, Milligan, Marshall etc.

I do feel quietly confident about this year though.

I tried to register with an Oldham fan page, but they ask you "What team moved to Oldham town's ground in 1899 and thus created Oldham Athletic"

it's to keep out spamming, fair enough, but I'm not a fan of their club so how should I know. I don't really have the patience for this.

Pine Villa....didn't know it either but took about eight and a half seconds to find outsmile.png .

You have patience issues DK.

Pine Villa....didn't know it either but took about eight and a half seconds to find outsmile.png .

You have patience issues DK.

No lie.

I did in fact try to look it up and eventually found out that it was the above, but went with something else initially.

Had to get involved. I mean they beat a team I genuinely dislike, and we play them in the next rounds with some good past matches. I hope they're as benevolent as here on rival supporters, but I go with honorable intentions.

I'll never take many teams in the FA cup for granted but we really should be able to handle Oldham without to much trouble.

They went at Liverpool today and got the win but both teams where piss poor in reality...Smith was tireless and gave Skrtel trouble with his strength but I can't see him doing the same to Distin or even Jags for that matter.

The pitch was awful which played to their advantage but having Brad flora Jones between the sticks was a huge mistake the guy is beyond shite.

Baxter will try to many tricks to try and show off as he did today and next to non came off apart from a few decent long range efforts he looked well suited to the level he's playing at now.

Tough tie with being away and the win against the shite will give them an obvious boost and even with our poor performances of late I can't see us playing as shit as Liverpool did today and letting them get the better of us.

World Rugby is chalk and cheese between European soccer and I don't know why you're comparing the two.

The thing is we can win this years FA Cup. Why Not ? We've got a favorable draw, have a good record in recent seasons, have a good side, that can play when they want to, and this fifth round draw (I remember 1990) against Oldham is a winnable fixture and there's been a few heavyweights eliminated thus far. It's been so long since we saw the club win a trophy, and there's been chances damn it since then, but above all else, I feel quietly optimistic above all else. They (Oldham) did well today, but I'd rather face them than Liverpool in the next rounds. This really does bring back memories of 23 years ago at the same stage for those old enough to remember. Back at the time, I was sure then we would have too much for them (best home record in the premier league as of March 1990) but they managed a replay, it was a draw at Goodison Park before we lost the second replay at their stadium.. They beat Aston Villa 3 - 0 in the next rounds before taking Manchester United to a replay in the semi-finals

I thought at the time they were good enough to beat Crystal Palace in that years final.