IGNORED

Would Moyes leave if we win League / FA Cup this year?

Matt

Would Moyes leave if we win League / FA Cup this year?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would Moyes leave if we win League / FA Cup this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I'm at a loss sometimes with the selfish materialistic mentality of people.

Maybe you might swap your wife for a few thousand pounds, or maybe your best friend for a pair of tickets to an Oasis concert too. doh.gif

Moyes is a person first of all, as well as a manager. The reason we don't / haven't won anything has sod all to do with Moyes for obvious reasons, but the positives we have currently are much to do with him. To have no feelings towards the guys plight over the last decade, and not feel the slightest loyalty towards him, simply doesn't sit well with me.

How exactly will Everton winning a trophy make the slightest bit of difference to either of your lives ? It's not like either of you even go to games as fans. Heck, by your own admission Dalziel, you stated you didn't even watch the games not too long ago.

Swap Moyes for a League Cup? blink.gif

Can I do that on StubHub??

I think with the way we've started this season, DM hasn't done himself any harm at all if a 'richer' club comes knocking at the door. With the budget we've had and the way he's got the team playing, it's asking a lot of questions of the higher spending clubs. If we win nothing this year, and we miss Europe, I won't be surprised to see DM move on. But he's also loyal, so mebbe he'll resign a new contract, so that any club who wants his services at the end of the season will have to compensate us nicely. Just my two ¢

I've seen all what Moyes has done here, it's just that a fair number of people have wanted Moyes to leave in recent times, and I include myself in that. What we have is stability but no real hope of actually winning something again, although the fine league achievements are to be acknowledged, as with this season, but still a very long way to go. I even heard Moyes talk the other day that his main concern this season was to 'avoid relegation'. What the fuck is the man on about, what kind of objective or mindset is that? There is one reason in itself for me why we simply won't win anything with the Scot as manager, there is simply a lack of desire or achievement. Too many dour policies, safety first philosophies etc, it's been said before, but I can't change my thinking.

and what constitutes a lousy trophy? With our last success in any competition since 1995 we really can't be too choosy. I would have liked to have seen us as League Cup winners next year, it's not the best award in soccer, but still would have been something to call our own, and first time winners too.

Only the FA cup to focus on, we won't win the league, as way of an actual trophy to win again after 18 long years, and with Moyes as manager, we could go far, but you get to the crucial stages where you have stand up and be counted, and I feel it'll be a repeat of before when we nearly went all the way.

Moyes simply can't handle the big occasions. Good manager, without question, but not the man for finally ending our trophy drought, it's as clear an issue as that.

Moyes IS the stability, lose him and I guarantee we'll lose jags, Baines, felli etc. He has convinced them to stay. I don't know who this manager is who will win us trophies, Redknapp?! No thanks. Mcleish? No thanks. Houllier? No thanks. Allardyce?!! But surely these must all have that 'winning mentality' having won some silverware? Be careful what you wish for. Winning trophies is about the players on the pitch stepping up when the time comes.

Edited by MoyesForPM

I just feel, every now and again, there could be another name out there, we can all take our pick, and names have been mentioned, who could finally deliver a trophy again to Goodison Park. A managers mindset is a large part of future success and sorry to say it again, but I think Moyes doesn't have the hunger or desire to actually achieve that, we have a very good team, the potential is there, but whenever we get within striking distance of an actual trophy to win again, it always ends up in the same predicament.

I do have nothing against Moyes as an individual, but just damn irritates every now and again. I only want to see us win something again, it's been such a long time now, and Moyes won't be the one to deliver I truly feel. But it's all about opinions isn't it. I guess some will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Had Moyes won trophies on top of everything else he has done, would he not be considered the greatest manager in the world, and would it not be the most perfect scenario for fans?

The ability to have perfection?

All the so called 'best' managers have had huge funding, with very wealthy teams, and only Wenger, Ferguson, and Moyes have their jobs.

All the others have been sacked, including Mourinho, so which of those 'sacked' managers is better than Moyes, and which would come here with the hope of maintaining what Moyes has achieved, with a similar funding ?

i.e zero funding.

Moyes funded himself.

Edited by Avinalaff

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting piece in the Independent yesterday when they said we were similar to what Aston Villa tried to do a few seasons ago -

"In an era of seven substitutes, the bench reveals much about the strength of a football clubs squad. Compare those at QPR last sunday when the teams in fourth and bottom place met. In John Heitinga, Everton had a player who figured in a World Cup Final, but Rangers had more expensive, more experienced and theoretically stronger reserves than the team 16 places above them.

The same is likely to apply when Everton face Liverpool tomorrow and in particular when they face the teams who appear to be their most likely rivals for a Champions League place : Tottenham and Arsenal

Everton, under Moyes, have consistently out performed their expenditure with six successive top eight finishes. Locked into an atmospheric but dated ground and unable to find significant outside investment, Everton's circumstances are akin to Aston Villa who under Randy Learner and Martin O Neill, tried to break into the Champions League places a few years ago. Villa lacked the squad depth to maintain their challenge and then fell away as Lerner took fright at the escalating wage bill and O Neill quit in protest at the subsequent economies. They now languish and provide a cautionary tale to those who suggest Everton's Bill Kenwright should bankroll an assault on the top four by taking on further debt.

Before Moyes, Everton declined, somehow survived several relegation scrapes, and eventually, under him in 2005, again had the chance to sup at Europes top table. But the referee disallowed a Duncan Ferguson goal that would have edged Everton past Villarreal in the champions league qualifier. For Everton the moment was gone. Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour ploughed millions into Chelsea and Manchester City, Arsenal developed the Emirates' cash machine and Manchester United became a global brand. That Liverpool have been similarly left trailing is only marginal consolation.

For Liverpool, though, there is hope. They have a worldwide name recognition Everton lack. The Reds' glory years are recent enough, especially in Istanbul, to pull fans from Toronto to Tokyo .- Everton's are too distant. History moves on which is why Wigan Athletic, after just eight years in the premier league, following decades of obscurity, are better known worldwide than their neighbors Preston North End, winners of championships and FA cups long before Wigan entered the league.

The reality is that only by breaking into the Champions League can Everton re-establish themselves as one of the english game's big clubs. The danger is Everton could cripple themselves in the attempt, as Lerner feared Villa would.

Moyes has a very good side, one which has developed beyond being effective to playing good football, but he knows it could unravel with a couple of injuries. It is a difficult equation to balance but, for 90 minutes tomorrow, everyone in blue can put such worries aside and get on with showing Liverpool they are, for the the moment at least, equals."