IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Braga knocked out Benfica last night on penalties to reach the final of the Taca Portugal. It'll be interesting to see who joins them there...

Think you meant the League Cup final mate. The Portuguese Cup final will be between Benfica (unless a big surprise happens there) and the winner of Belenenses/Guimarães.

Benfica rested a lot of players yesterday to be fair to them, but I wonder if Jesus will cock up again by prioritising the league and end up with nothing at the end of the season.

Think you meant the League Cup final mate. The Portuguese Cup final will be between Benfica (unless a big surprise happens there) and the winner of Belenenses/Guimarães.

I did, my mistake smile.png.

Edit: Whatever will he do next?

Mario Balotelli has ordered a life-sized statue of himself to keep in his Brescia home. The Milan striker, who was on Tuesday fined €10,000 (£8,600) for making an "insulting gesture" towards Internazionale supporters at the end of the derby on Sunday, has contacted a local artist to make the statue, in order to "immortalise" himself.
Edited by Zoo

I actually agree with Benitez's comments too, their fans are utter tools and it's no wonder why nobody wants to manage there.

To be fair to them, I would be the same if we got Benitez. He is a smug arrogant twat and appointing him in the circumstances was really poor from Abramovich. Benitez should have expected the backlash when he was given the contract and while he is bitching and moaning about being an 'interim' he seems to forget that his predecessor won the CL and FA Cup with that title.

Id also add that the fans aren't pissed off with the players, they are pissed off with the manager and the owner. Benitez simply hasn't won enough games and they were well off City when they played at the weekend and in their position you should expect a damn site more than a 52% win ratio!

I didn't see the first-half but heard that Bale scored one. Arsenal have got one back as it happens so it could still be a draw which would suit us well. Arsenal seem the better team from what I have watched and wouldn't be surprised if they leveled or even won the game.

Those 2 Spurs goals came out of nowhere really, terrible defending from Arsenal who had been looking good up until then. A strong start to the second half from the gunners, getting one back and putting a lot of pressure on Spurs. Most people expected an entertaining match, well it took 40 minutes of boredom but it's quite lively now.

We played pretty well I thought (Beira-Mar). Unlucky not to get a draw.

Anyway had we equalised the referee would have just found another penalty for Benfica. Like against Académica in the 94th minute a couple of weeks ago, and on numerous other occasions over the years. The fact that Benfica and Porto are top of the table in penalties for and near the bottom in penalties against is not a coincidence. They're also the two teams with (by far) less bookings and red cards. I used to get all worked up over the blatant corruption going on in the Portuguese league a few years ago, now although I do still get frustrated, as evidenced by this post, I just try to not watch the league most weekends and forget such games as things will simply never change.

Let the two of them run away with the league and fight between themselves accusing each other of corruption when they're both as bad as each other. Have to say I hope Porto win the title as at least it will make for some funny reactions and outbursts, as most of the sports media is little more than Benfica propaganda.

Wow, that felt good.

I have to admit I don't know much about the Portuguese league, I only support FC Porto because it's Mrs.Zoo's team but I have to admit I was a little shocked at how much Benfica & Porto are running away with it. I don't know how much of it is corruption and at first presumed that it was just because they had the best teams in the league (just like Celtic and Rangers did in Scotland) but I guess like the 'Big four' in England there is a favoritism towards the two.

Porto for example had two penalties in a game a few weeks back (the one where Jackson hilariously chipped it into the keepers gloves) so I can see your point.

They're definitely the best teams in the country, but whenever they're struggling there's always a helping hand. There are videos of phone calls on youtube with directors (even the presidents) from both clubs choosing referees for their next match and talking about rewarding them, etc. Everyone can go on youtube and hear it, but apparently the Portuguese justice don't have access to this compromising information. They did slap a minor points deduction on Porto a few years ago (when they also decided to relegate Boavista for pretty much nothing in comparison), so Benfica think they somehow have a moral high ground when they are just as bad, not to mention they were the dictatorship's favourite club until its end in 1974.

If only they could fuck off to La Liga or something.

Edited by Fearthainn

They did slap a minor points deduction on Porto a few years ago (when they also decided to relegate Boavista for pretty much nothing in comparison).

Apparently they are now saying that Boavista could be allowed back into the league because it's been proved that didn't do as much as what was made out. I feel sorry for them as even if they come back to the top league its going to be hard to become what they once were.

Yeah they have been invited back to the top flight. The Portuguese FA will probably be forced to pay them a lot of money as well, but they will have to rebuild from scratch as the club is completely fucked. Just goes to show what a joke Portuguese football is really.

No offence but I have to agree. It should be 100% proven that the club is guilty if they are going to make such drastic measures as to relegate a club. It may have been to stop others from getting into match-fixing but as its totally screwed Boavista it's made the Portuguese FA look like a farce, I just hope they can re-build and return to what they were.

I think sometimes Portugal can be World Cup winners in Brazil and they were only a penalty shoot out away from beating Spain in the european championships last year. Ronaldo is a great player and there's other good names so they have to be one of the favorites. Surprised they never actually managed to win anything as of now, and 2004 must still hurt for being on the wrong end of a freak result. But the 1960s side with Eusebio was arguably the greatest.

The Portuguese are in a bit of trouble I think.

They've been doing well in past competitions such as Euro 2004 and Euro 2012 but at the moment I think they are out of the qualification places for World Cup 2014 in 3rd. This is along with a draw to Gabon and a defeat to Ecuador in the past few months and whilst I agree that Portugal have a strong team on paper they need to step up if they are going to get into next years competition and make a name for themselves.

Villa v City is snoring. Clarke caught out dallying on the ball for the only goal. Not much else happened in the first half other than Rodwell's going off after 20 mins, likely to have done his hammy again.

Edited by pete0

Villa v City is snoring. Clarke caught out dallying on the ball for the only goal. Not much else happened in the first half other than Rodwell's going off after 20 mins, likely to have done his hammy again.

He needs to be careful with his money because he's going to end up nowhere once City are done with him. I can see him going this summer and I'm really glad that we got rid of him when we did - injury prone and over-rated.

He needs to be careful with his money because he's going to end up nowhere once City are done with him. I can see him going this summer and I'm really glad that we got rid of him when we did - injury prone and over-rated.

A little harsh, he has loads of talent. I'd blame Moyes and the Everton medics if he never regains full match fitness, some terrible management involved for his previous injuries.

He's mediocre in my opinion, I never warmed to him and never felt that he was good enough for Everton. I know that will get a few peoples backs up but it's just my opinion, he's defiantly nowhere near good enough for Manchester City given the standard of their team now.

He's mediocre in my opinion, I never warmed to him and never felt that he was good enough for Everton. I know that will get a few peoples backs up but it's just my opinion, he's defiantly nowhere near good enough for Manchester City given the standard of their team now.

Fair enough. Although fully fit I think he offers more than Barry and Garcia, but I'm still surprised he left/they bought him so early in his career.

I feel for rodders. Seems like a genuinely nice lad and I've been through a similar thing with my hamstring before, it feels fine then after a simple movement you're back out for weeks, so so frustrating. Never thought he was a top 4 player though, can see him spending a lot of time at mid-table teams when he moves on from city.

So, who's watching Manchester United against Real Madrid tonight? I think it will be a close one myself but I'll be hoping for a high scoring game to keep me entertained. I'm sick of all the 'Welcome back Ronnie' bollocks too, I hope they don't rim him from start to finish.

Mancini must like him as he starts pretty much every time he gets fit.

Rodwell has got bags of talent but he just needs to stay fit and play games. He wont be a world beater but Im sure he will be one of the PL's best players in years to come.