IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Poor day for soccer action, teams did well we didn't want to see but what can you do. No chance in hell of watching highlights however. Aston Villa in danger of a relegation for the first time since 1987 is it, but WBA are doing well and it's good for the neutrals to see them still in with a chance. I can't remember who's playing tomorrow but it'll only be more anger and despair. Bobby Moore died 20 years ago this weekend and they're putting on a memorial at Upton Park for the Spurs game I think is tomorrow, which is only right. He was a great player.

Barca looking very poor, Sevilla were 11/1 to win looked to good at 0-0 30 odd mins in. Done a little research, they only got beat 2-3 in the other league game after going down to 10 men and leading until the 89th min. Neither goal scorer playing today so went to put a tenner on Sevilla and the buggers scored before it processed shaking fist.png . Now tempted to put it on Barca instead now they are at evens...

What time did the League Cup final even start today, I'm all over the place, and it's not even on terrestrial television. Had it been two of the 'more recognized' clubs you wait and see the damn difference. 4 o clock apparently and only just underway but can only make do with radio commentary but is it even worth listening ? Great achievement for both, but there's going to be some diminished interest with neutrals today for this, and generate little interest I feel apart from the club sides involved themselves. Don't even have a prefered winner although if Bradford do it, that would make greater news, and they've dedicated this years achievement to the 56 or so who died in the 1985 fire so that said, I'm going with the Yorkshire outfit. Hope they can pull off a surprise and great honor today.

What time did the League Cup final even start today, I'm all over the place, and it's not even on terrestrial television. Had it been two of the 'more recognized' clubs you wait and see the damn difference.

If it'd been two of the recognised clubs it would've kicked off at the same time on the same channel....set in stone before the first ball was kicked in the first round.

Hope the early goal for Swansea doesn't spoil it and it remains a contest.

It started at 4:00 and is on ITV in England. I'm watching it on Direto Sport, Swansea have the lead and the keeper is to blame IMO. A timid shot from Michu (I think) was parried rather than held right into the path of Nathan Dyer who slotted home. A long way back for Bradford City now sadly who are now looking very much second best, 20 minutes in the half to go.

Chelsea lost earlier today too.

It's not on ITV, unless you mean highlights later, and I don't even like to watch that awful fucking channel if I can help it. Had a look through listings about 20 minutes ago and it wasn't featured. I'd like Bradford to win as it'd be a nice touch for the fire victims, but Swansea haven't won anything or done anything of recognition for 30 years, so I guess they're both in need of something. I hope all supporters are having a good day of it and take in the experience etc. Plastics defeat is good news, I thank you for that.

This feels like the Manchester United and Wigan Athletic match that happened some years ago. Around 2006 I think because it was Wigan's first season in the top flight, anyway Manchester United totally bossed the game and I think it finished 4-0. It's one way traffic here too, Swansea look like they could put four or five past this Bradford City side and I think they will, I too wanted Swansea to fail (because they're Welsh) but I guess life goes on.

Bradford have been really dissapointing today - but fair play to them for getting this far.

Site is going at a snails pace today..

I wasn't aware it was 4 - 0 now and they had their goalkeeper taken off, but it's fair to say that this outcome is in no dispute now.

Sorry for Bradford they couldn't do it, but SCFC have their first trophy in a very long time and it's a great success today despite the caliber of todays opposition. First time a domestic trophy has been taken out of England since Cardiff in the 1920s.

It's something we have never won, but they have done well today.

Beeb (spot the deliberate mistake)....

League Cup final: Bradford 0-5 Swansea

Swansea goalkeeper Michu on BBC Radio 5 live: "It is good. It was a great performance by the team and I think we deserved this. It was good for me too to score a goal. It is difficult to score five goals but we did it and we deserve to win this final. It is a really good season, my first here. We are in a good position in the league and to win this medal is very good."

I was really impressed with the way they never stopped and right from the first minute they looked very confident. They did get things their own way and I would have liked to see them put under more pressure, but they set their stall out to start quickly and score the first goal which they did. Im glad they won as they look to be a really well run club. I think they will do well in Europe too.

Damn annoying when they change the format every now and again about the winners getting a place in Europe. Just quit messing around and either say the winning team is eligible or otherwise, but all they do is tamper with rules year in year out. I don't think Bradford were as poor as the scoreline suggests and if their 'keeper had stayed on and on another day the game could have taken a different route. They could even do a 'Birmingham' next year and be relegated of all things, especially if Laudrup decides to leave, after winning the trophy, and you never know what will occur, but as it's their first success in such a long time, they deserve their celebrations today.

What I like is, Chelsea looking on and thinking 'that could have been us' after a defeat at Manchester City. It's been a decent day for action.

'as far as I know'

I'm adamant a few seasons ago that league cup winning teams weren't eligible for a european place. If they're going to change the rule of non-championship winning teams participating in the 'champions' league then you can be sure they're going to alter something else. They change the rules of things so often it can be hard to keep up with everything in my defense. But the Liberty arena should see some good european nights though, but not sure how far they'll actually go. Cardiff got to the quarter finals (ECWC) about 30 years ago if I remember but that must have been for winning the Welsh cup, I can't see any other route how they could have got there. You do hear about other sides like TNS or Wrexham getting involved in recent years so it has to of been that.

'as far as I know'

I'm adamant a few seasons ago that league cup winning teams weren't eligible for a european place.

Sorry about the "as far as I know," we don't all have your infallible memory.

But a quick random check tells me that Man City qualified for the UEFA cup as league cup winners as far back as 1976....so it's been going on for minimum thirty five years. There was certainly talk of the place being taken away, but it never happened.

West ham playing Spurs tonight and should be half time but I don't what the score is, but hope Tottenham get three points.

Bobby Moore died 20 years ago yesterday for those that are interested, and it's a special occasion with a club legend, and if they do win today, it would be just fitting for Moore on the anniversary, but I can't be too impartial on this.

RIP Mr Moore

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/see-pictures-west-ham-tributes-1731118

It's 1-1 the last that I heard. Gareth Bale opened the scoring with a left-footed drive from just outside the box before Scott Parker brought down Andrew Carroll in the area. The following penalty was converted by the man himself, which is good news for us as Everton supporters.

A good tribute to Bobby Moore too, obviously I wasn't around in 1966 but its obvious how much of an impact the man had on English football.