IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Just now, hafnia said:

The 84 final was a beautiful memory though.... back when footy was pure. 

True enough, my Watford memories go back even further though because my local club where me and bro and dad had season tickets (Guildford City) played at Vicarage Road in the cup first round in 1972, losing 4-2  in the end but we were 2-1 up at half time. Can still remember my dad saying at HT, "..if we can just keep them out for ten minutes.." but we couldn't, good memories though.

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Honestly not surprised, he’s always had that in his locker. Wish we’d kept him 

Never understood how he was let go.  But then the other week Gerry himself said it was Koeman..... froze him out.... no explanation, nothing. Gerry basically had to leave. 

Koeman has a lot to answer for the arrogant prick.  Ross Barkley and Deulofeu both talented young lads treated like shit....£80m plus worth of talent fucked off. 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

We didn't let him go, we had no choice because they had a buy back clause and used it. We Didn't buy him when we had the chance to later, but that's a different story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gerard-deulofeu-reveals-full-story-15528007.amp

We held all the aces. He was back with us and koeman froze him out.  Watford picked up the pieces. 

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

Return to BarcelonaEdit

On 30 June , Deulofeu returned to Barcelona, as the club activated their buy-back clause for him.[37] On 21 October, he scored his first goal for the club as he scored the opener in the 2nd minute in a 2–0 win against Málaga.[

Looked back at this..... essentially to get bought back by Barca he had to agree to the move - we loaned him out for £700k to milan.  He wouldn't have gone to Barca but at end of loan deal Barca bought him back as he knew koeman didn't rate him.... Barca knew they would make more than the buy back fee. 

He was pushed out Bill. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Honestly not surprised, he’s always had that in his locker. Wish we’d kept him 

It was freakish, his leg didn't follow through after he played the ball, it just jerked back; don't think I can remember seeing anything like that before.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

reminded me of a golf chip, where you swing the club until you hit the ball and stop right there, you don't follow through.  

I think that's a close analogy because it does happen occasionally in golf, but it's rare, vast majority of the time a chip has a follow through, often a full one to impart (I think) maximum back spin on the ball. You see it sometimes in table tennis as well particularly on serve, I know that because I used to do it (in TT though it's often to change the spin on the ball, make your opponent think it's reverse when it's actually top-spin):P.

44 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think that's a close analogy because it does happen occasionally in golf, but it's rare, vast majority of the time a chip has a follow through, often a full one to impart (I think) maximum back spin on the ball. You see it sometimes in table tennis as well particularly on serve, I know that because I used to do it (in TT though it's often to change the spin on the ball, make your opponent think it's reverse when it's actually top-spin):P.

i'm sorry, i think it's the sand trap chip you don't follow through.  one of them, i took golf lessons one summer and i remember it distinctly because it was one of the few short game elements i was good at.

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

It was freakish, his leg didn't follow through after he played the ball, it just jerked back; don't think I can remember seeing anything like that before.

He used to cross like that quite often; A controlled toe-poke. 

Very harsh on city. Llorente's goal allowed even though it come off his arm and then that offside. Don't know the rules well enough but surely if it's the spurs player that plays the ball it's not offside, know it come off a city player on the way through but if it was the other way round ie a city player passed it and a spurs player got a touch on it then that would be offside. Surely you can't have it both ways? 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Very harsh on city. Llorente's goal allowed even though it come off his arm and then that offside. Don't know the rules well enough but surely if it's the spurs player that plays the ball it's not offside, know it come off a city player on the way through but if it was the other way round ie a city player passed it and a spurs player got a touch on it then that would be offside. Surely you can't have it both ways? 

No they were both correct decisions. I did feel for City though as they are the best team to watch and it felt wrong that they’ve gone out.......but that’s the beauty of football. 

19 minutes ago, barryj said:

No they were both correct decisions. I did feel for City though as they are the best team to watch and it felt wrong that they’ve gone out.......but that’s the beauty of football. 

Tbh I thought the handball rule had already changed but its not implemented until next season. 

Starting from June 1, in case a ball touches a player’s hand and crosses the goal line, the goal will be cancelled and handball will be decided as an infringement even if it is unintentional. This is among the rule changes in football that will kick in from the 2019-20 season.

34 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Leeds (on 82 points) lose at home to Wigan (on 42) despite having thirty-six shots, 77% possession and Wigan being reduced to ten men for more than eighty minutes and Leeds scoring first, what a game football is; and it couldn't happen to a more deserving team:lol:.

I'd love Leeds to miss out..... when my niece was toffeegirl in the Walter Smith days vs George Grahams side - my brother said their fans were waving £10 notes at them. 

Brother said George Graham was a class act vs Walter in photos etc.... big Dunc made the best impression of all. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hope leeds get promoted, their manager is a legend and one of my all time favorites.

My thoughts on Leeds are well documented, hope they fail dismally for as long as possible and preferably are candidates for relegation from the Championship next year.

On 19/04/2019 at 18:18, markjazzbassist said:

i hope leeds get promoted, their manager is a legend and one of my all time favorites.

They lose again, love it; wonder how their legend of a manager took them from being dead cert title winners to play-off hopefuls😂.